Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

just bought the dark gray/cyan one, since I was curious to try it, let’s see how they would look and feel like once I have them :slight_smile:

there are even some low-profile one, for which they made a poll on r/BudgetKeebs, if anyone is interested

1 Like

Cherry has uncharacteristically catered to the enthusiast market with these switches in a big way.

They are offering it in ‘precision factory-lubed’ and also unlubed variants!

If I was into linears, I would be very interested in this switch.

I guess for me, it’s the Ergo Clear I will be interested in. Imagine if Cherry had taken this course 10 years ago! Now please create ‘vintage Browns,’ lol.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking some more about this.

If Cherry is taking 205g0 factory-lubing seriously, then this could eliminate a lot of work. With the factory Ergo Clears, you could just perform a swap with bag-lubed TX springs or something, and voila maybe it is complete?

Would this method work on MX Browns, or is it overkill?

Seems like Cherry is finally capitalizing on the fact that there is an enthusiast market. Wonder how big that market is today as compared with the regular factory keyboards?

I don’t know if Cherry understands the cachet Vintage Browns have among enthusiasts, but if they realize the value of Ergo Clears and Nixies, maybe they can extend it to Browns. If not, somebody please tell them!

EDIT: Some months ago, somebody was working on a custom line project with Cherry. They asked for suggestions on what to produce. I recommended the usual: Nixies, Ergo Clears, Vint. Browns. But also, I said why not produce a “Cherry MX Yellow.” Like a linear in a mid-range weight, 63.5-67 G instead of just Black and Reds.

[They can save the name Cherry MX Orange for a real tactile.]

7 Likes

Neat. Little oled screen, it’s a Matrix thing.

6 Likes

I have one Matrix board, the ME SE, and it’s wonderful. Matrix really does a fine job with their boards that I’ve seen.

1 Like

I think this board has the most color options for any keyboard I’ve ever seen, wow!

3 Likes

That Sunflower Yellow was calling to me… I’m going to kick myself for passing this one up. :pensive:

Holy Heckfire, that’s an OLED??

There’s barely any info on the NK_ page. I thought it was just a place you could put a picture or something.

@Extra_Fox are their PCBs typically QMK/VIA friendly?

I haven’t had the itch to buy a board in a while but this one is itching me.

1 Like

Correct me if im wrong but I believe that the Corsa pcb supports VIAL so it should be QMK/VIA friendly.

3 Likes

Yes, they’re QMK/VIA/VIAL friendly. @TaForeN is correct.

I like this board a lot, but will be stuffing my FOMO due to exceeding my yearly keyboard limit.

3 Likes

Thanks to you and @TaForeN for the info. VIAL is fine with me over VIA since for my purposes they’re the same.

Now I just gotta figure out if they release their plate files. I’ve never tried an aluminum plate with all of the flex cuts like this one has. My current board has a PC plate and I like it much better than the aluminum one it had previously.

4 Likes

Just noticed that Divinikey has TX Stabilizers but for long pole switches

7 Likes

They had a “Cherry Nature White” which was that mid-range weight (but with that scratchy Cherry mold as usual…), IIRC it was exclusive to Ducky for a while.

3 Likes

I kind of like that rough texture, it’s different than cheaply made clone switches of the past that just felt bad, similar to the NK Creams that texture has some charm.

Only issue is that the NK Creams has stick-slip feeling and the Cherry switches have quite a bit of wobble, and that messes up stabilizers.

1 Like

I quite like those. Maybe I was lucky, but mine just have some “texture” to their push-feel. Would not call them scratchy.

Still have them around for a future build, desoldered them from a Varmilo a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

TBH I did like them for their intermediate weight and nice sound. Recent high end switches are light years ahead in comparison though - and you can achieve the same kind of weighting with specific springs, and all-nylon switches from JWT or Gateron also have that great thock noise.

2 Likes

Ya like WaBs?

I love my wild and crazy keysets - but I love these, too.

3 Likes

Yeah, Cherry was painfully slow to get into custom lines.

They stuck with their ‘genuine Cherry’ branding long after the clones became real contenders. And while their own tooling was declining!

So they [grudgingly] produced a mid-weight linear, without even using fresh tooling. Meanwhile, good linears are building the success of Durock, KTT, etc…

Anyway, that probably sounds grumpy. Half my builds use customized Cherry switches or parts. Just wish it was better from the factory, that’s all.

I don’t mind scratch if it builds character, I actually enjoy the BOX Cream linears. They feel like worn-in pre-tooled MX Browns, and I wish there was a light-tactile variant. But the problem for me is that Cherry switches are becoming almost unusable with their combined scratch, wobble, oversized MX Clear stems, noisy springs, and Hyperglides that interfere with GMK(!) I like using the housings, though. Would love a Cherry switch that’s actually ready-to-use. Put them in a Leopold and you have a usable factory keyboard.

1 Like

TKC is having a buy one get one free on all in stock caps.

I picked up 4 sets of keyreative blanks for $47 including shipping.

Not a lot of colors left to choose from but I think $10 for decent keycaps is a good deal

4 Likes