Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

Not to be reductive, I just don’t typically understand all of the vocab used for mounting systems; but this is essentially a “bakeneko/unicorn” style mounting system with some cushioning points rather than an o-ring, correct? I like the simplicity of these designs and I think I’d gravitate toward them if I were in the market for acquiring new boards. Alas, I have mostly top-mounts (which are awesome too).

2 Likes

It would be nice if they offered a barebones version, but it’s not horrible pricing for a complete build. The only off-putting spec for me personally is the 9° typing angle. I believe the OG was 12° (ouch) so if they aren’t going for an exact replica, I would think they would have landed in 6 - 8° range when modernizing the design.

9 Likes

That’s pretty cool though. It looks like it will be very similar to the RE66 board. I like that board a lot but I don’t use the Bluetooth on it much. And the battery dies fast even when not in use. So I’m glad they offer a wired version with QMK. Smart

1 Like

KBDFans is running an IC for a Tofu 60 2.0 after selling a claimed 40,000 of the v1 Tofu since launch. They’re leaving behind pretty much everything about the original, but it does seem like a pretty solid entry level board with three mounting and three layout options.

The three mounting options seem to be top mount, silicone socks gasket, and something they’re calling a silicone bowl gasket… which I don’t fully understand:

Specs:

• Aluminum case (anodized and electrostatically coated)
  • PC plate and aluminum plate
  • Hot-swappable PCB, QMK firmware, VIA support
  • Brass weight
  • Top mount, silicone socks, silicone bowl, 3 types of structural support
  • Flex cut PCB, thickness 1.2 mm
  • USB-C daughterboard support
  • ≈1.4 kg before assembly
  • Length: 294.7 mm, width: 115.7 mm, front: 18.5 mm, back: 32.5 mm, typing angle: 7°
  • Design by KBDfans
  • Made in China

Includes:

• Aluminum top and bottom case
  • PC plate and aluminum plate
  • Hot-swappable PCB x1
  • Brass weight x1
  • Screws for top mount
  • Silicone bowl, poron cotton for silicone bowl structure
  • Silicone socks
  • Bottom poron x1
  • Plate poron x1
  • EVA switch pad x1
  • USB-C daughterboard support x1
  • Cherry screw in stabilizers
  • Rubber feet x1
7 Likes

The silicone bowl gasket looks like their version of a Geon tadpole. This is looking pretty good on paper. If it turns out well and they offer a similar array of colors as the original Tofu case, I think they will have a hit on their hands.

1 Like

Darn. I expected KBDFans to upgrade Tofu with same mounting as Blade60, like they did with wooden Tofu, and keep the price the same. This 2.0 is not only more expensive but far less compatible.

3 Likes

I think you’re correct! I wasn’t even looking at those pieces carefully in their diagram; I was looking for some sort of tub of silicone for the PCB/plate to sit in, almost like a o-ring mount but with a bottom… a “bowl” shape.

Agreed. They seem to be planning 10 colors at launch (white, black, four shades of gray, mint green, forest green, pink, and lavender), though none of them really stand out as really interesting to me. The original Tofu definitely takes the cake on color choices IMO.

Yeah, they went in a very different direction. The overall shape appears very similar to the original Tofu, but that seems to be the extent of the similarities.

4 Likes

Wuque Studio is selling a “Limited restock” of the Mammoth75 tomorrow at 11pm Beijing time…I probably should not be on their mailing list for my own sanity…:crazy_face:

And I should probably neither look at the Mode Envoy or play with the Sonnet configurator…ahem…

4 Likes

More things I want but don’t need!

1 Like

Interesting, they didn’t do the gummy o-ring mount that lots of people bought the Tofu to mod and do… I guess the Bakeneko is already a cheap option now.

1 Like

More new stuff going on at KBDfans;

• New version of Tofu65 (68-key layout)
  • Tofu SE (66-key layout)
  • More HaiMu silents
  • Ergo Clears
  • A fancy dusting brush
3 Likes

I see they changed the design and made it cleaner, the 66 key design is much better than the dense 68 one.

This looks like another solid offering. Simple, classic design with a price that feels reasonable.

1 Like

Yeah yeah looks like a DeLorean - but check out those adjustable leaf springs…

Also Scrabble caps on Drop today:

2 Likes

AM 65 is actually a 60% and the reason is incomprehensible. Basically they tried to come up with a symmetrical 65% layout and ended up with an HHKB but with full size backspace.

So yes, the name. This keyboard is actually not a 65%. It’s more about how this keyboard concept was generated, by thinking about how to maintain the fundamental user habit of 65% and forgo a few for symmetric design. At the same time, we maintain a symmetrical shape, making it perfect for showcasing your favorite keycaps.

3 Likes

Yikes. The comments on that AM 65 IC are hostile. I’m of the opinion that Angry Miao boards are wildly overpriced and the touch controls feel gimmicky, but I’ll never understand why people get so furious over something like this. Just don’t buy it if you don’t like it; it’s easy.

Now Scrabble DSA in PBT on the other hand… do I need them? No. But it’s Scrabble! And PBT! and DSA!

4 Likes

I agree that many of the choices made there are baffling…

2 Likes

And that is why I generally only browse GeekHack through ghsear.ch - (created by our own @ajoflo - thanks again, m8) gimme the pictures, skip the rabble. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

To be fair, it’s an interest check ~ it’s going to be the only time to criticize the product meaningfully. After all, it sounds like only after all that ‘hostility’ are they willing to consider an actually HHKB layout PCB.

New shizz:

4 Likes