Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

Vega 65 extras by ai03 and TypePlus are available now. I have an e-white Vega from the GB and it’s :fire:

2 Likes

New Tecsee linear; no info on the housing material, but it’s short travel and the whole thing is safety-orange. Perfect for an industrial PPE themed keyboard! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

DCX Bogo seems active but seems I can’t use my keyboard club voucher with it :frowning:

Indeed; the Bogo and DKC discounts are both set up as a coupon, and those can’t stack in their current system. That’s probably the #1 most requested change in the Keyboard Club feedback thread; wouldn’t hurt to throw your hat on the pile if you haven’t already - I don’t really expect them to make those stackable with other promotions but I’d love it if they did.

3 Likes

If you’re looking for a safety colored Tecsee switch, they actually have one haha

On another note, looks like Wuque Studio have a store in AE, shipping is quite high but it’s an alternative, there are also stabilisers and the WS switch series.

1 Like

Matt3o has posted an update to the PBS (Penguin Belly Slide) keycap profile

6 Likes

“I’m still tweaking a few minor details, KBM suggested to increase the thickness that is now 1.7mm (it was 1.5) for added physicality that should also grant a deeper sound and more gratifying typing experience.”

Low-profile, uniform, spherical, 1.7mm thick, dye-sub PBT keycaps from Matt3o? This sounds like a really interesting offering, so I’m hoping it turns out well. Supposedly ready Q3 this year!

1 Like

Looks very intriguing for sure. I am slightly weirded out by how the legends look in the photos with the legends getting all curvy and whatnot because of the profile and position of the legends, but hoping that’s just a weirdness of the renders and/or things that will be figured out in production.

I am a fan of matt3o’s designs and works so I’m looking forward to PBS.

The Katakana version of MT3 Serika R2 is a bit like this with the off-centered legends and I haven’t noticed any distortion or waviness in them at all. Obviously, personal preference is primary on all this, but I’m not too worried about the legends on this new profile from what I’ve seen with MT3.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to try this profile out!

1 Like

NovelKeys is running their mystery switches event again. 90 switches for $15 plus shipping.

4 Likes

Probably the only mystery grab-bag item I’ll happily go for every time.

I’ll put it this way: the worst switches NK has ever sold are still worth at least 15-20 cents apiece - so even if you get something you’re not interested in you won’t be up the creek. I picked up quite a few of these last time, and my reactions ranged from “that’s a pretty good discount” to “SWEET!”

Plenty of other vendors followed-suit after the success of NK’s first mystery sale, but none of them were as straightforward and clearly-defined as theirs. Seems like the value was generally there with Drop’s take on it, but it also seemed like more of an open gamble. Others just seemed kinda sketch.

I see the format is a little different than last time; they only come in one size instead of three - probably works better to keep things simple here.

For $15 I’ll be happy with anything they’ve stocked for the past few years - but there’s a few I’m rooting for. Come on, Cream Tactiles!

5 Likes

It’s really hard to pass up 90 switches for $20 shipped! Like you said, even their meh switch offerings are still a good deal at that price. My reactions to past NK mystery switches were similar and I even found a few new switches I enjoyed but would be unlikely to purchase directly.

2 Likes

Seeing the various nice Thermal and Thermal+ keebs popping up, had me thinking about other keyboards where the fun bits aren’t necessarily at the back or the bottom…think Sonnet or maybe Class80, and two recent finds were Typebox and Type75

From the Type75 IC form (though not the most informative picture…):

From the Typebox Discord

What else is out there?

8 Likes

WOW that typebox is sick. Most interesting non-alicelike I’ve seen since the grid lineup.

2 Likes

PBTfans has an IC up another clear-on-top keyset; this time dark violet with sparkles (kinda like Nebula switches):

The sparkles are kinda hard to see until you zoom-in pretty far, but they’re there. A closeup of the aforementioned Nebulae as an example:

Check out the IC on GH here

Edit: fixed the link - thanks @d3L7r0n !

10 Likes

Ooh. These could look nice on my nebula matrix :hugs:

4 Likes

Missed out on Pyga… I DON’T want to miss this one!

3 Likes

Matt3o is live streaming about MTNU right now. Forgot to link earlier:

Matt3o is very impressed with GMK. They have been a much better partner so far than Drop. Also, what they can do with injection molding and color matching is more advanced than the current Chinese capabilities.

Changes happen so much faster with GMK than they did with Drop. No longer having to wait months for changes and then they end up being wrong still.

MTNU will have just enough texture to hide the injection flow marks. He demonstrated why those happen, which was cool to learn.

The font is newly designed by Matt3o and will be open source.

For the PBT caps, he shows some examples of very saturated keycaps that match their GMK ABS counterpart colors. There are no issues with keycap saturation using PBT. Which is exciting. PBT can be perfectly color matched to any RAL with GMK now.

Matt3o says for people interested in designing a set, the starting point would be to get a RAL book with matte swatches. (basic would be the K5 set). If you are full in on making caps, you should pick up the D8 design set from RAL. It’s expensive, though :slight_smile:

Sets planned for launch: A beige set (GMK classic beige colors), Susuwatari (will look different b/c of better color matching), and WoB and BoW

Some support for 40% at the start but not extensive. More to come later. They’re waiting to see how much support there is for it. But Matt3o is pushing for more.

GMK wants MTNU to be a hit. They’re working hard to get everything Matt3o asks for. He keeps saying how much nicer it is to work with them.

Hope to launch by Summer.

15 Likes

People will buy of course, but a hit will be hard when people constantly goes back to cherry-profile. :thinking: