Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

[excited_chris_pratt_face.gif]

1 Like

Thanks for taking notes and sharing the highlights! This all sounds really encouraging and I’m really hoping this plays out as planned.

1 Like

DCX Skiidata out today.

7 Likes

Picked up Hyperfuse with add-ons and BoW during this, and I know I’m not the only one. Looking forward to Hyperfuse living on my grey Brutal v2 until possibly making its way to Serendipity pending price and any other info (GB not until June). Already have a WoB set (CXA).

A number of the DCX sets looked good to me; however, they’re going strong for teal legends. I understand why - they look great - but I don’t need more atm in addition to GMK Metropolis. Also enjoyed learning the short history of Hyperfuse.The new kitting covers a lot!

These look rather interesting:

2 Likes

Looking forward to MTNU and PBS keycap profiles.

4 Likes

I see/remember MTNU, which looks neat… What’s PBS?

PBS - Penguin Belly Slides showcased

2 Likes

That Serendipity board looks really interesting. I need to keep this one on my radar.

1 Like

Right? There’s a channel on dedecline’s Discord worth joining if interested, with some additional photos and info on her thoughts behind layout choices.

@donpark Oooo that’s neat looking.

2 Likes

CannonKeys dropped some Gateron Pro Milky Brown switches. Just put an order in for a batch. Looks promising!

The Gateron Pro Milky Brown 1.0 Switch is the tactile version its cousin – the Milky Yellow 1.0 Linears! It carries the same improved features such as a newer mold and some light factory lube. This makes for an enjoyable tactile stock switch with reduced stem wobble and great sound profile!

• Switch Type - Tactile
• Manufacturer - Gateron
• Top Housing Material - Proprietary milky
• Bottom Housing Material - Proprietary milky
• Stem Material - POM
• Spring Weight - 50g actuation
• Mounting Pins - 5-pin
• Factory Lube - Light

4 Likes

It seems like the board is going to start at around $400, which isn’t surprising, but I do need to sit my wallet down for a serious discussion.

I had a chuckle at her reference of “Utah” for four keys on staggered lining up. I’m stealing that phrase for all future conversations.

2 Likes

Agreed on both points! Maybe we can hope for a small reduction at GB numbers. I hadn’t seen that Insta post, but I think they only made 10-15 for the private sale.

1 Like

That does give me a bit of hope on a price decrease. It seems like both the designer and the shop have good track records, so I’m less worried than I would be about dropping this sort of cash on an unknown.

1 Like

Interesting:

• Made by Gateron
  • NuPhy badge
  • POK (polyketone) stem
  • Factory lubed
5 Likes

3.3mm travel. Those are some long stems.

I was reading about POK. Interesting material. It’s very resistant to wear and it’s tough. One place I see it used is in small plastic gears. A place where POM would wear out, but supposedly POK is a lot tougher. That leads me to think it’s really hard, but I can’t find anything about it’s firmness.

3 Likes

The first place I saw POK show up was in a couple of TTC switches, the Flame Purple and Flame White. It does seem harder than POM, and makes a somewhat different sound.

I think SwitchOddities still has samples of those if you’re curious. The only difference between the two is supposedly that one has a removable diffuser and one has a domed bit on the housing - hard to put my finger on why, but I think the Purples (with the removable diffuser) sound and feel better. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I found an interesting article written by @ThereminGoat from a few years ago focusing on the chemical properties of different plastics and how they related to switch characteristics, but it doesn’t include POK.

This “Plastics News” blurb makes POK sound like a miracle elixir of the gods:

With many engineering resins now in short supply and prices increasing there is no better time to be looking for material alternatives. Polyketone is a semi-crystalline polymer that combines: the higher heat performance of polyamide 6 and 6/6, the fuel resistance of nylon 11 and 12, the low moisture absorption of PBT, and the exceptional wear & friction performance of POM. When it comes to injection molding, polyketone holds a significant benefit over traditional materials such as nylons, acetal, and polyester for cycle time, ease of drying, no off-gassing, and no need to rely on moisture for toughness. Polyketone exhibits similar mold shrinkage to these resins allowing for existing molds to be used.

4 Likes

POK switch travel distances:

• NuPhy Night Breeze: 3.3mm (WTH?)
  • TTC Flame Purple: 3.6mm
  • TTC Flame White: 3.6mm

Full-travel addicts will just have to wait a little longer.

1 Like

3 Likes

Good price on PBT sets. I’ve never owned a MW set. Any opinions?

5 Likes