Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

The only MW set that I have is Demon Girl. It’s probably not the best example because MW is remaking all those sets due to poor QA control on the reverse dyesub caps. That aside, the colors are nice and saturated, the legends are sharp, and the texture is smooth but has a
little grippiness to them akin to ABS caps. I only used them on my Space80 so far (PC plate, Gat Oil Kings), but the sound signature was deeper than GMK or EPBT caps.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this! A friend and I ordered the same day and got the same switches. A milky gateron yellow sort of switch. Good switches, but kinda underwhelming haha.

What’d you end up getting?

1 Like

I have no idea how they have extras, but hey, they do! I love the colors on this set and would definitely purchase if I didn’t already have it.

2 Likes

No problem! The Gateron switches seem to benefit from lube and film in many cases; but agreed, not usually a “WOW” switch out of the box.

I received TTC Gold Red Pro Linear Switches. This is the first I’ve learned of them, but they seem decent. Smooth and lacking any sort of scratch or ping that I can hear easily.

The sale is still going, so you could try rolling the dice again? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Flash-sale on Milkshake Silks; $9 for 35 / ~26 cents each - they’re JWK linears factory-lubed with 205g0

2 Likes

Big fan of my Milky top Gat Yellows I’ve had for the last 3 years! The underwhelming aspect is moreso the fact that it’s a switch I’ve sort of tried already… haha. Not too mad though. Tried and true. I think I’ll try again next month if they still have mystery switches in-stock.

(Would be a cool monthly purchase to make now that I think of it…)

Nice to see you got something different from your tactiles/clickies though!

2 Likes

Hah! I completely misread your earlier comment and thought you weren’t sure exactly which switch NK sent to you. Yeah, getting the same switch you’ve used for three years is a bit anti-climatic!

I would definitely consider some sort of NK monthly mystery switch club at $15/90 switches.

No complaints here. :slight_smile:

First time I’ve ever seen an Ortho board in retail!

18 Likes

And a 40% ortho at that! You just know all the normal people walking by are confused AF:

• “where are the rest of the keys?!?”
  • “why are the keys not lined up the normal way?!”
  • “is that the spacebar?!?”

Price is quite reasonable, despite what has got to be exceptionally low-volume sales. :sweat_smile:

Completely unrelated, but Cannon Keys has switch sample packs back in stock. I picked up their tactiles variant, which somehow only includes switches I’ve thought about buying but don’t already own.

6 Likes

Some happy parent is going to buy that, bring it to their child who wanted a mechanical keyboard and that kid is just going to be beside themselves.

8 Likes

Drop is running a MT3 BOGO sale that ends today (Feb. 26).

1 Like

ID buy that instantly! If only for the pcb. :yum:

2 Likes

Looks like a new PBT (probably…) MT3 set is on the way from Drop and Biip:

edit: interestingly it appears that the set is built with at least some regard for showing layers for smaller layouts (F-keys on the numrow for 60% and numbers on the Q-Row for 40s). Pretty decent idea to be honest.

7 Likes

Do I need more MT3? lulz no. Will I be lured in by PBT MT3 with great support for sub-75% boards? Very yes.

2 Likes

:star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

1 Like

Not exactly sure who is making these, but it looks like they will have a POK (polyketone) top housing. I’ve seen a few switches use it in stems, but this is the first time I’ve seen it in a housing so far.

1 Like

I was lukewarm about Purpurite, but I think I like this one.

3 Likes

Last one for today I promise…

Finally! An alternative to the unobtainium OLKB washers. I looked into having these made myself but don’t have the needed industry connections to make it cost effective - I’m really glad to see someone else doing it.

Not only are these good for the stated purpose of keycap compatibility - but I think they’re even more useful for stabilizer tuning, especially with long-pole or otherwise short travel switches. Easily one of the most important supplies I keep around on my desk is a little bag of these.

8 Likes

Shouldn’t this be in “things that makes you go hmmmm”? :joy:

Why would that be? They’ve been around for 4 or 5 years, and are a great alternative to buying “long-pole” stabilizers - especially since you can dial-in the resting height a portion of a mm at a time.

2 Likes