Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

This is great, I personally never had issues with stabilizers as long as the keycaps are tight enough on the stabilizer stems, but for north facing PCBs this is a great solution.

1 Like

Good for Novatouched topre boards + cherry profile keycaps too !

1 Like

Uh, the thread is locked. That’s odd. I was going to ask the IC owner what the expected benefits of POK were for the top housing. Guess not.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I ordered them for. I’ve run into certain caps making weird bottom out sounds and I’m hopeful that this can solve that.

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 14-54-04 Switches

Huh.

2 Likes

Those o-rings have been available for ages

I have some from a long time ago, but I’m not sure where I got them. I feel like I remember them showing up on somewhere like Novelkeys for a while a few years back. I haven’t seem them in stock anywhere in a while. I used mine back in the day on my Vortex Pok3r keyboards. It was a great solution for the upwards facing LED switches. It wasn’t a perfect solution for me personally because I tend to swap my keycaps a lot. The rings often come off when you try to swap out keycaps.

I haven’t ever tried them on stabilizers with long stem switches. I have tried them on my Novatouch boards, but they didn’t work for me. I still have collision on cherry or DCS profile keycaps on 2u spots.

1 Like

They aren’t dampening o-rings; they’re quite a bit smaller and perform a different function. They’re also much flatter than any rubber or silicone o-ring; these are effectively shims.

4 Likes

Them “North-facing” shims/rings are handy to have around.

Get a bag then forget about it til you run into needy occasions.

2 Likes

Another new keyset for lovers of green; and another Cherry profile PBT set from NovelKeys. Edit edit: oh hey it’s on flash-sale, too. :3

Edit - It’s a collab with dotnick - their monogram reminds me a lot of the logo for Neoplanet, a long-defunct web browser:

Multiple NK updates today - they’re running a GameCube inspired GMK set:

3 Likes

Nice. Was looking to buy this when it first came out but I figured it would eventually go on sale! And now I can try out some GMK stabilizers too!

1 Like

KBDfans gets fun with 40s

5 Likes

The “Plastic” Mojo68 has a new sibling:

This version adopts a soft pink theme, slightly simplifies the dyesub graphics, adds a thin layer of poron between the PCB & switches, and includes an exclusively-configured set of lightweight linear Kailh BOX switches named (and styled) after the original light-teal-and-orange “Plastic” colorway.

3 Likes

Stumbled across the “Ghostbar” from Nuphy - a spacebar that apparently sounds better (whatever that means…). Nevertheless and I trifling concept.

And in the Australian discords there has been a lot of chatter about the Emogogo Hybrid Blacks designed by one of the guys from Switchkeys (Caz) - a short pole linear switch that takes inspiration from Cherry Blacks and H1s. It appears to be extremely smooth with an interesting sound profile and a lovey feel.

https://www.switchkeys.com.au/collections/linear/products/hybrid-black-linear-switches-x10

Review:

https://www.keebsnstuff.com/switches/emogogo-hybrid-black

2 Likes

Does anyone got any info on this ?

Keebox M0110 Retro Apple Keyboard Kit HHKB Layout QMK VIA Supports Bluetooth Customized Mechanical Keyboard Kit
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKGuULk

It seems like a nice cheaper alternative to the Vortex M0110

5 Likes

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of Keebox before - but this caught my eye:

All PCBs support 3.3V solenoid valve

A QMK/VIA compatible HHKB layout classic Apple lookalike with gasket mounting, PCB options, an FR4 plate, and solenoid support? For less than sixty bucks? Seems like potential geek gold to me.

I don’t see anything obviously janky in the photos… I’m tempted to pick one of these up myself just to find out if it’s all that and a bag of chips.

5 Likes

I know I’ve seen this board before, but I can’t track it down. I believe it was a Chinese run b/c they used the Apple logo without worry. But it seems like I had to option to buy one before, and it wasn’t Keebox. At least I don’t think.

1 Like

Found some extra pics of internals here, even though they’re pretty filthy, lol.

It’s a really cool kit. They somehow got injection molded cases made. At first I thought they were maybe using the same parts as the upcoming Vortex board, but it’s not the same as b/c of the PCB gasket mount points. This has to be something people from the Chinese community would recognize. They have to have made a lot of them.

5 Likes

Found some pics also, after searching for Rye Works as I’ve seen on the box in one of the aliexpress pictures

Update: the aliexpress seller sent me a video also: Mac经典老键盘覆刻——M0110_哔哩哔哩_bilibili

You can click on the video and then watch it in the browser:

3 Likes

mykeyboard.eu has surprise switches, 90 for €17

The most likely are Alpaca (V1) 23%, Amber 13%, Shogoki 14% and 8008 9%, nice of them to post the “odds”

5 Likes