Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

What are Tera Plastics caps?

Tera Plastics is the manufacturer for MT3 and DCX.

5 Likes

New store for me https://unikeyboards.com/

Some switches offered that I’ve not heard of before. I believe it’s based Toronto??

3 Likes

At the same time they made a conscious decision to make products essentially unavailable to the European market. We can still buy from them but with no warranty or return, and with added shipping costs that make all their offerings largely pointless over here.

3 Likes

I got a bit excited for this while I watched the video just to realize that it’s a kickstarter and not a DIY kit. :neutral_face:

Finally! I’ve wanted to know this for ages!

1 Like

Cool! Nice to know. Looks like they’re based out of Taiwan? Always interesting to put a name to a face if you will

1 Like

The forthcoming Double Shot PBT Keycaps With KSA Profile

The Full Set keycap sets (Dark Gray and Grayish Blue, Gray and Silver, Light Gray and White) are pre-order products, we plan to start shipping at the end of March 2023.

Specs

Material: Double-shot PBT
Thickness: 1.6 mm
Stem: MX style
Legend: Backlight does not shine through
Profile: KSA profile (Keychron redesigned SA profile)

KSA looks conspicuously like MT3, but than better & cheaper.

5 Likes

Almost a marriage of Apple and Nintendo here:

pretty clear from this disclaimer that KBD isn’t expecting to bowl anyone over with the quality but I think these are pretty fun. Would have been interesting to see them take a stab at this with a PBTFans set similar to Klein, Pyga, or Neon but I’m sure they don’t want to make one-off molds for the 2048 fonts, icons, etc.

7 Likes

This was posted back in r/mk subreddit. Thought it was interesting. But what do you guys think? Anyone here backers of this project?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fluxkeyboard/flux-keyboard-the-keyboard-reinvented

1 Like

I’m not a backer but it looks amazing, on paper.

I can see it being very useful for multi-language users and generally with software

Personally using several languges is very annoying, especially since my native language decided to change the positions of the punctuation marks compared to English, so I’m often getting confused.

Assuming it can work automatically with Windows and apps it can be very convenient, setting shortcuts and generally having some keys being more visible than others.

I do think they need to add photos from standing position to see how the visible is the screen from those angles, that is a thick frame.

I’m also waiting for a review on that key frame, it has the potential being amazing, or being a nightmare with off-center binding and scratchyness.

1 Like

I could see this being a fun thing to own, with some interesting aesthetic possibilities like a “transparent keyboard” deskpad background that updates the old “transparent screen” fad from 15-20 years ago.

I hope this product succeeds. But I have so many doubts that the actual product can live up to the hype and I worry that the daily use of this board will be far less enjoyable than a well-tuned budget mech. Additionally, the half dozen or so keys that seem like they’re not even with their adjacent keys is particularly concerning regarding typing feel:

2 Likes

Wait… wasn’t this exactly what Finalmouse was doing?

2 Likes

I thought that was the same project! It’s like the same thing…

1 Like

mykeyboard.eu added surprise stabilizers, I think the price is pretty good at €11 and €15 but it sounds weirder than surprise switches
https://mykeyboard.eu/search/?q=Surprise+Stabilizers

They also added a second round of surprise switches

1 Like

These look to be some interesting stems for DIY switches:

I’m thinking about getting some of the “Pure” ones that are POM and PTFE

5 Likes

They have them at Divinikey too

6 Likes

I got some of the “pure” ones and they seem plenty slick. Haven’t found the perfect housing for them yet but they seem like a solid linear stem, and I’m always happy to see more piecemeal parts options.

2 Likes

How’s the sizing? Have you experienced any flying caps?

Pretty standard; on the slightly-tight side of normal for caps.

SwitchOddities has a sampler of them:

4 Likes