Kayak - A laser cut, sandwich cased, 65% keyboard.
NOTE: THIS IS NOT A GROUP BUY NOR AN INTEREST CHECK. PROVIDED BELOW ARE INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE YOUR OWN KEYBOARD, INCLUDING A LINK TO DOWNLOAD THE CAD FILES.
I joined a private group buy for the Canoe keyboard in September 2017, 6 months later I still had no keyboard nor a ship date in sight. Out of frustration I created my own “knock off” version, Kayak, born as a joke that transformed into reality. I contacted Josh (u/thebeephaha) to help me through the first two revisions.
The CAD files have been revised & prepared to offer them to anyone who might want to make their own Kayak! They are available as .dxf and .svg so you can get the keyboard case made by your choice of laser cutters. (Though, I highly recommend using TheBeepHaha, he’s great!)
Click this button to be taken to my website where you can donate to download the files:
- v1 - Had a few dimensions wrong and files are not available.
- v2 - As depicted in the photos in this post.
- The angled feet have been altered to be wider to allow for bumpons to be installed on the feet rather than on the board.
- v3 - Adjusted design to look more like the Canoe with a smaller top bezel and smoother curves
- Have not tested this file yet.
- PCB: Designed around a TADA68 PCB. These are readily available for $35 on KBDFans.cn
- Layout Options: Stepped Caps lock, split backspace, and optional ISO plate for v3
- Lighting: In switch LEDs and white underglow on edges.
- Case: Laser cut sandwich keyboard
- Hex Hed Bolts - M2.5 x 25mm : eBay
- Counter Sunk Bolts - M2.5 x 25mm : eBay
- Nuts - M2.5 x 0.4mm : eBay
- Bumpons - For supporting the gap between pcb and switch plate : eBay
More cell phone quality photos I took along the way:
Don’t like wood? Colors might look good: