Kayak - A laser cut, sandwich cased, 65% keyboard.
NOTE: THIS IS NOT A GROUP BUY NOR AN INTEREST CHECK. PROVIDED BELOW ARE INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE YOUR OWN KEYBOARD, INCLUDING A LINK TO DOWNLOAD THE CAD FILES.
I joined a private group buy for the Canoe keyboard in September 2017, 6 months later I still had no keyboard nor a ship date in sight. Out of frustration I created my own “knock off” version, Kayak, born as a joke that transformed into reality. I contacted Josh (u/thebeephaha) to help me through the first two revisions.
The CAD files have been revised & prepared to offer them to anyone who might want to make their own Kayak! They are available as .dxf and .svg so you can get the keyboard case made by your choice of laser cutters. (Though, I highly recommend using TheBeepHaha, he’s great!)
Click this button to be taken to my website where you can donate to download the files:
TEMPORARILY DISABLED UNTIL I FIND A NEW STORE FRONT: BUTTON WILL BE FIXED WHEN A STOREFRONT IS FOUND.
Link re-added June 2021 - Sorry folks… been quite a while since I was last on Keebtalk; I finally hit “end game” keyboard and haven’t followed the scene quite as close.
- v1 - Had a few dimensions wrong and files are not available.
- v2 - As depicted in the photos in this post.
- The angled feet have been altered to be wider to allow for bumpons to be installed on the feet rather than on the board.
- v3 - Adjusted design to look more like the Canoe with a smaller top bezel and smoother curves
- These were tested by /u/Nebulant in June 2021 and work!
- PCB: Designed around a TADA68 PCB. These are readily available for $35 on KBDFans.cn
- Layout Options: Stepped Caps lock, and optional ISO plate for v3
- Lighting: In switch LEDs and white underglow on edges.
- Case: Laser cut sandwich keyboard
- Hex Hed Bolts - M2.5 x 25mm : eBay
- Counter Sunk Bolts - M2.5 x 25mm : eBay
- Nuts - M2.5 x 0.4mm : eBay
- Bumpons - For supporting the gap between pcb and switch plate : eBay
More cell phone quality photos I took along the way:
Don’t like wood? Colors might look good:
November 2018 Update
Quick Update on the Kayak keyboard files.
- V2 - Still great and thoroughly tested at this point.
- V3 - I have found a couple of incorrect dimensions on the V3 files that have been available as well. When I have a fix for those (mainly the feet are too long) I will send new copies of the files back to those whom have downloaded them already. These will be released as a V3.x version as soon as I have some cut and perfected.
Availability of Files:
There will be a temporary pause in availability of the digital downloads. My store front tool (Plasso.co) was purchased by GoDaddy and shutting down their service to fix GoDaddy’s current pile of poop they offer.
That being said I am currently looking for an inexpensive alternative to migrate my stuff to. Feel free to PM me if you have any ideas. Payhip.com is intriguing for me at the moment.
Thanks to everyone who has supported the Kayak Keyboard project. Much love !