KBDF X BIIP Ex - Should I just?

I’m a bit new to caring or following this sort of thing, but I know there aren’t many EC caps available. I see these from kbdf and like the Torii, probably the only topre set I see on this site worth anything to me.

Are these usually available? Can I just wait for something else? Or am I best off just getting these while they’re in. I’ve always wanted a set of actually cool caps but my hhkb begs to differ.

Probably get while the getting is good. There are not a lot of options out there for aftermarket Topre caps.

I’ve got two sets of their high-profile caps for my boards that I got when they were in stock. I’m a little nervous because a more recent Topre offering from KBDFans was not very well done.

They aren’t the best. The stem on my F10 broke after mounting once. Luckily I had the icons. Unfortunately Topre keycaps are few and far between.

5 Likes

This pretty much smells like I’ll just sleep on these. Also, love the 91uw, I’ve got my eyes on a 87uw… or for a third of that a FC980M for work :\

I bought these and the caps have a lot more texture to them but they feel lighter than the stock caps and have more spacing between the keys. The sound signature is also higher pitched. I ended up switching back to the stock keycaps just for the deeper sound signature but they definitely look amazing.

4 Likes

Kk, then that settles it. I’ll be sleeping on them. That said, I was going through the pics of peoples’ boards in this thread and it seemed there was a lot of variety that I can’t seem to find :frowning:

Since you mentioned Realforces and a Leopold FC980M, personally I’d recommend going for a FC980C. It’s my personal endgame. The Leopold stock keycaps are some of the best keycaps out there in the market - potentially the best Topre keycaps out there. In my opinion, they put the HHKB’s to shame. And the HHKB’s stock caps are already pretty well regarded

4 Likes

Good sir, you pain me. I fought hard yesterday to not pull out my credit card. I would love having the numpad for games I play (yes, I play games with my hhkb too). I want to ask you then, EC or Silent Red? The cherry board is much cheaper and let’s me put cool caps on it if I want… but I also just want it to be beige eitherway…

1 Like

but if you go with the cherry board won’t you miss the oneness with cup rubber?

1 Like

honestly, yeah lawl. I wish there was somewhere near me to try out those silent reds. I’ve only ever used MX Blues,Browns,Blacks,Clears and went straight to topre clones and now my hhkb. I wish there was a cheaper way to play with other switches.

I mean, there are files for 980nt plate and PCB out there. Order the 980c and you could get an MX board made and swap between the two if you really wanted

2 Likes

If you really enjoy Topre and wouldn’t want anything else, I think it’s worth saving up for FC980C. But on the other hand, since you already have a HHKB and are looking to try out other switches, a hotswap 1800 layout board might be just the thing you are looking for.

There’s a thread here where a couple of us were recommending 1800 hotswap boards:

1 Like

ngl, that fl980 looking kinda thicc

This might be straying a little off the topic sentence, but if you’re interested in a gasket mount aluminum 1800 keyboard:

1 Like

straying? never. But I do have something against having a knob on my keyboard. Mostly because I’ve an audio interface with a knob already and I don’t want to have to lift my hands.