Keeb & Keyset Reviews | switchbox.studio

Hello my friends, I have an update for you today.

I’ve been working on a whole new groundwork for my site in preparation for posting content more regularly. For the sake of organization, I figured this would be a decent place to link my new articles about keebs.

On that note, my first article in that vein is a first impressions review of the TKC Portico68 Black Label. If you’re curious about the keeb, check it out! I’d love to hear your thoughts, feedback, questions, etc. -

First Impressions: Portico68 Black Label

15 Likes

Nice read! I’m very much here for more long-form written keyboard content. Only thing missing in my opinion is a weight comparison of the plastic vs alu versions, I find that sort of thing helpful for context. I appreciate your writing style, and that pink does indeed look good with Noire!

2 Likes

Thanks much! I really appreciate that; I suppose it’s time for me to get a scale.

In the mean-time, I can tell you the aluminum version is significantly heavier than the polycarb version. The latter is essentially a shell with minimal structural ribbing, with empty space filled by some silicone. The former fills most of that space with solid aluminum. Seems quite heavy for an otherwise small and minimal keyboard.

1 Like

I’ve got a new first impressions review up for you today - and another entry into my WiTF series. This time I’m covering Amibit CIY’s new budget gasket-mount keeb kit, the GAS67:

Who is This For ep.2 | CIY GAS67 - First Impressions Review

Thanks very much for reading, and I hope you folks have a good one. Let me know if you have any questions about the keeb or comments about the review!

8 Likes

Both articles are so very well written - lots of relevant details that i wont find in even the best video reviews, and good photos so i dont feel like i need a video.

Thanks for the great reads, i learnt a lot about both keebs!

1 Like

I got a scale, and weighed the two Portico versions:

As built, this regular Portico is 709g (1.65 lb)

As built, this Portico68 Black Label is 1209g (2.67 lb)

Looks like the metal one is about half a kilogram - or just over a pound heavier than the plastic one.

5 Likes

That is substantial.

2 Likes

That is quite the write up, bordering on a build guide in places. I think that is a really neat use for the blocker next to the arrows, gets my mind going on all the possibilities of what else could fit there. Maybe a trackpoint, or an encoder like the kind in mouse scroll wheels, or even a capacitive sense pad for some function but maintaining the blocker look. I’m surprised I haven’t seen something like that before given how many different 65% keyboards there seem to be. I also like your ‘Who is This For’ approach, it has a nice optimism to it.

1 Like

Well, life happens and it took longer than I though it would, but hey! My full review of NK_ Charcoal is now live on my site.

NK_ Cherry Charcoal - Keyset Review

8 Likes

Nice review. Really good photos for reference too.

1 Like

I’ve been using DCX Cyber for a couple weeks now, and finished up a short (for me) review of the set last night:

*Edit; about 1/3 of this review was a recap of the MT2 kerfuffle and my part in it, which I can’t imagine anyone here needs. I moved that to its own footnote post to keep the review all about this genuinely good keyset. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like