Keyboard Chores: Share your projects!

Last night:

• Making 61 Catweewee Holy Trash Pandas
    Halo Clear stems in YOK Trash Panda housings with 52g Catweewee springs

• Making 61 Unholy Gazzew Linears
    Silent linear Gazzew stems in Halo housings with YOK Panda springs

Today:

• Installing gaskets in the latter

It would be more simple to just say “Holy Panda” - but not nearly as fun.

Edit: I bet at least one or two of you saw this coming, but those 52g springs weren’t nearly strong enough for the Holy Pandas to operate properly.

2 Likes

Building me an NYM96 with blubes. Should I put switch films in these?

4 Likes

Normally I squirt some gasket maker between two layers of cling film to take up empty space and improve the sound.

Then, as it was drying, I thought, “What the heck am I doing?!” I thought, there has to be a better way like stick on neoprene strips.

Sure enough, I found that exact thing on amazon.

I was inspired by the pad that goes between the plate and PCB on the Cyber Board

I also cut a section of neoprene to go between the case and the PCB

Later some tiny O rings will arrive that I’ll use to act as a buffer between the mounting holes and the pcb.

10 Likes

I buy sheets of foam at michaels and cut them with scissors for more or less the same purpose as your neoprene

3 Likes

I use drawer liner when the neoprene foam is too thick.

Damn, great find! I gotta get my hands on some of that!

2 Likes

How wide is the roll. Better yet, do you have a link to the product that you’d be willing to share?

1 Like

It’s twice the width I needed so I just snipped it up the middle with scissors. It’s the right thickness though.

Sponge Neoprene Stripping W/Adhesive 3/8in Wide X 1/8in Thick X 50ft Long https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PBSBNRM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qBirFbPAFVFJB

1 Like

Hazards of the job

4 Likes

Sneek peek at my Quefrency Rev.2!

Still waiting on parts :pensive:

3 Likes

Heh. I don’t think I’ll ever stop finding those little guys in random corners of my apartment. I just got proper flush cutters yesterday and up to now have been using nail clippers - so the little bits went flying unpredictably every time.

1 Like

Been sitting on this for 2 years decided to build it today since all my soldering stuff is at my moms and I’m over here all day today

5 Likes

It’s done. Fun little Sunday project.

9 Likes

No pictures yet, but this week I have some Novelkeys Dry switches to lube up, and throw on some Deskeys switch films. Pretty excited for this switch combo; and planning to throw both of them into a nice TKL :slight_smile:

7 Likes

do JWK switches really need films that bad? Kailh seems to have a lock on housing gap with the creams

I’m not terribly bothered by wobble for the most part, and personally I don’t think most switches need films; but I did want to try the new deskeys switch films for the sake of trying them out :smiley:

They are quite loose and make a pretty bad rattle on the switch return without films. I haven’t found a JWK made switch yet that didn’t need films.

1 Like

thats rather dissapointing, is the smoothness so superior to other, tighter housed linears that its a worthy tradeoff? I’ve never tried JWK’s but I have tried creams and vint blacks and understand the joy of a filmed and lubed vintage black

Films…

Halo housings…

Unholy Pandas w/ Halo True progressive (fast curve?) springs bag-lubed with teflon Tri-flow

Edit: these are light to actuate but heavy to bottom-out; something like 52g / 100g. Definitely not my normal fare, though I do think I’m enjoying these springs more with the linear stems vs the Halo ones.

Edit: sound test.

2 Likes

Would you say the monstargear lube station a must have?

1 Like