Keyboard, Desk, Chairs, Comfort, & Ergonomics

Just a warning for those of you on the big and tall end of the spectrum - Aerons may not be all that and a bag of chips. At my previous workplace, I started with one of these, and had to ditch it almost immediately, as I kept sliding forward out of the seat, and its adjustments weren’t enough to render it usable. A Steelcase Leap was much better in terms of seat depth. (For reference, I’m 6’7".)

With that said, I still don’t feel that I’ve found a great desk chair yet. If there are any other giants out there that have recommendations, would love to see those!

1 Like

I have a Herman Miller Mirra 2 chair. Fantastic chair that I got for free from my in-laws, as they were no longer using it. Aside from some sag with the piston, all around great chair.

An unfinished slab door from Home Depot on top of IKEA ADILS legs. Eventually planning on getting sit/stand legs to put under this top. The top is super solid, very thick, holds a lot of weight, and I can drill in it/ through it as much as I need to without worry.

And I use the Elecom EX-G Pro trackball mouse. No complaints, kept my Razer Deathadder Elite for gaming.

Just need a wrist rest and those sit-stand legs and it should be perfect for me.

1 Like

I am 6’4" and I am in the same boat. The Aeron is about a quarter of an inch too short for my legs from the knees down so they fall asleep after 20 minutes.

I am rocking a Steelcase Leap and whatever sit/stand desk they use at work and a Steelcase Think chair with Bluelounge StudioDesk at home.

2 Likes

I use the secretlab Titan chair in stark contrast with a huge ugly teacher’s office desk (beige painted metal and all). I use my new Model O for my main mouse as I can’t make the dive into trackballs.

I never thought to use a slabdoor as the actual desktop. That is a much cheaper alternative!

1 Like

Hmmmm… does your new chair need to be cat claw magnet proof?

That part wouldn’t be my specialty, but I do have an overall positive outlook on my Ikea Markus chair. I’ve had it for ~5 years now and it’s still going extremely strong.

Man… Some of y’all have some really expensive desk chairs. Admittedly, I don’t really use my desk at home much (I’d typically rather just sit on the couch and use my laptop), but I just use a $40 chair from Amazon and a desk I got for free from a friend. I do have a sit-stand desk at work which is nice, but I find that I rarely use that feature after the initial novelty of it wore off.

The only ergonomic thing I really use is my mouse; a Logitech MX Vertical. Bought one for work and I liked it so much that I got a second to use at home. I was having some wrist pains before I got it (I assume pre-carpal tunnel) and those have completely gone away since I started using it.

Chair: Herman Miller Sayl
Desk: IKEA Galant. Needs an upgrade to a sit/stand
Mouse: Logitech Ergo and G900

1 Like

Yeah, my normal set-up is a crappy laptop and a very nice keyboard at my kitchen table. You can tell by my occasional keyboard “glamour” shots that I’m a pathetic soul. But I have a Tempurpedic butt cushion for the kitchen chair, which is nice. (It also raises my height a bit for more comfortable typing.).

2 Likes

Thats where im at with things. Due to both my wallet and lack of space, im currently rocking a cheap folding chair at my gaming desk lol.

I thought it might be nice to provide a counterpoint to the fancy stuff in this topic. We all have a place here, no shame.

Also, my butt cushion is really nice. TOP OF THE LINE, baby. Two thumbs up. It’s about five years old now, no compaction or deformation, and the outer cover is washable and made of good flexible material. If you’re looking for a good butt cushion, this one is great. :wink:

2 Likes

The only reason I went fancy is because of how much I do at home while I am at the desk anyway, figured I would splurge for comfort after several years of chairs that made me overheat/fell apart easily. Certainly not something I recommend often.

1 Like

Is there a standard/recommended height of the desk, based on how tall you are?

I have mine setup at 73cm, and I am 180cm tall.
I also have an Aeron chair.

The thing is that if I am to raise the chair so that my arms are in line with the table, then my feet are not flat on the ground.

If I am to lower the chair, my arms sit upwards.

The desk is not adjustable so I might need to introduce it to the saw :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another one of the Aeron gang here. I developed a love for them back when I worked for RIT in the 2000s and they supplied us with them. Admittedly my current Aeron was a hand me down from a friend of mine, and I am eternally grateful to him. All I had to do was spend $20 on replacement armrests for it on Amazon. Interesting about the chair not being very compatible with taller people. I don’t have that problem as I am only 5 foot four.

I have a crappy hand me down desk that I got from a thrift store that has seen me through several moves now and I don’t do anything fancy for mice… Just Amazon basics optical. I do have a nice buckling spring patent desk mat that I like a lot. Also it covers up my crappy desk surface, bonus!

Where I end up spending a lot of time money and care is in workstations (MacBook Pro 15) displays (Thunderbolt and another 27” next to it) and lately, keyboards! (you didn’t think I was going to forget about keyboards did you?)

Home
Desk/s: I have 3 miscellaneous Hon desks, that previous employers were getting rid of.

Chair: Hon Nucleus with a Hon Endorse headrest and a squishy tube pillow, for lumbar support. - Wish there were more chair options for people that are out of the 95th percentile.

Mice:
Gaming: G Pro Wireless
Writs relief: Logitech MX Ergo Plus with 3d printed 40° degree stand and the
Wrist relief: Wacom tablet
Wrist relief: TrackPoint on the Tex Shinobi.

Office
Desk Riser: FlexiSpot M3B (Bought by me.)

Chair: Hon Ignition 2.0

Mouse: Logitech MX Ergo Plus with 3d printed 40° degree stand and the

I use a Håg Capisco @ home but together with a smal teak desk from the 1960s so I can’t really get all the use I can from the chair. :upside_down_face:

I have a sit/stand desk in storage but I need to retrofit it before it have a place in my home. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s a sonography chair. lol Those things are weird to sit on, but would probably be a great addition to a standing desk, now that I think about it.

Ye, I like to have it inverted and rest my chin on the neck-stand but it don’t go well with my desk so adjustable table is have to really… :grimacing:

Don’t mind me, just gonna necro this thread and say recently I got this and would highly recommend. Great table slab and setup for the price. I got the 52" version.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Bench-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

4 Likes

Got a new desk recently. I actually switched from a sit-stand desk to a regular 4-post desk (I only sit at my desk so this is ok, but the sit-stand desk was useful for figuring out my ideal range re: tabletop height).

I decided against spending a lot of time cable managing, but I also didn’t want a jumbled mess. So I employed some leftover velcro that was laying about, and it turned out quite nice:

This is what it looks like underneath. It took a total of 45 minutes to do this, which includes a 15-minute cookies and milk snack break :yum:

As you can see, I also decided to trial placing my monitor off to the side, so it’s not the focal point of my desk. I read and write and use my laptop at my desk, and this has been a nice change so far. It opens up the “air space” of the desk quite a bit.

10 Likes