We’re always in the middle of trends, at the start of new trends, and simultaneously seeing trends die down.
What are you thoughts of various trends in the keyboard community?
- 65% customs featuring a top right blocker for logo
- deskmats available with every keyset gb (the old trend back in the day was cables)
- recoloring a linear switch from a manufacturer every which way
- keyboards with 5heads
- Gradient keysets
- the discontinuing of ergodox support from sets with alice support being the new hot ‘ergo-ish’ layout
- Will we start seeing more Vickrey auction style runs like we saw for Bauer extras and how Keycult operates?
My Random Thoughts:
- Recolored linears sometimes feel like someone is charging extra to put some food coloring in your vanilla ice cream and then claim it is radically different.
- Gradient keysets - don’t do it
- Gasket mounts - more hits than misses. I’m okay with this
- Ditching MAO white for e-white; I’m okay with this. Although I wish we could have that nice cool grey of Mao white without that texture and the ease of damage. Maybe someone can find an equivalent cerakote color
- It feels like the wild west of 40%s has mostly stabilized into a certain popular layouts with much less random experimenting and this is probably good for them.
- low profile keyboard cases had some popularity 6 years ago… thank god we’re not in those dark ages anymore
What are your thoughts about random trends in this community? Are there particular trends you have noticed?