Keyboard Enthusiast Trendsetting & Trends

Two-tone anodized colorways. :star_struck:

10 Likes

Me, appreciating beautiful design: that’s a dope keeb and i bet assembly is satisfying

Me, living in the most dust-exuding apartment ever: i do not wanna clean that trough-with-seam dust-gutter thing

8 Likes

Huey prediction: Leafsprings will be in for 2021

9 Likes

I felt that in my soul

5 Likes

There is a mechanical keyboard version of this. I’m actually making a Mechboard 64 so that I can have a modern mechanical keyboard version of the Commodore 64.

4 Likes

QMK/VIA supported, multi-layout, hotswappable PCB’s. Good to see it in the upcoming Ikki68 Aurora (Fairbanks), and hope the concept makes it to other vendors and across different form factors.

5 Likes

Neat! I can’t wait to see how the project turns out buddy. For the love of krytox, please keep us posted. Have you seen this little guy?

I for sure believe some high-end incarnation of a mini-ITX/mechanical keyboard will make it on the keeb tree of evolution soon. I’ve been lurking Optimum Tech for inspiration, but even those cases are far to ginormous for this application.

This made the short list of possible contenders. It’s fanless and uses an external power supply. I got one on the way. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Yes! I’m going to get one :grin:

PCB for the mechboard actually just arrived!

6 Likes

I soldered the surface mount components on one of the five C64 Mechboard PCBs I ordered from JLCPCB, but am waiting on the plate from a small group buy from a guy in Florida. It should be in the mail.

Took me forever to source an MX lock switch for shift lock. If you need one for yours let me know.

4 Likes

Thanks! I actually can’t remember if I ordered one from Mouser or not. I’ll have to double check lol.

1 Like

I love that 4mm brass plates are now not uncommon. Not for everyone, but the stiff feel is my favorite.

I’m really hating the aftermarket recently. I wish there was a marketplace community that prevented flipping.

2 Likes

Aftermarket really only works with vintage keyboards. I don’t even bother trying to buy new stuff secondhand. It’s not worth it.

3 Likes

I tend to disagree with this, there are plenty of boards and keysets that haven’t garnered critical acclaim within the community that are still available for below MSRP on r/mm and such, unless you’re looking for a TGR or other cult designer board, most things aren’t insane in price, and you can still find boards with fun mounting styles and thicc plates too.

3 Likes

Examples?

I’ve personally picked up a couple sets of GMK Penumbra for 110 shipped CONUS, and I got a minivan case for 100 and a tina for 100, I don’t like brass thick plates so I can’t give you a specific example of a good deal on those, but if you search mechmarket for what you want and check in every so often, its generally been my experience that many things can be had for reasonable sums.

1 Like

now that’s a name I havent heard in a long time

3 Likes

exactly, sets like penumbra and monkey from the good ol days now sell on r/mm for quite cheap (90-130 shipped CONUS), if people are looking to try GMK but don’t want to spend a lot, those sets, as well as GMK plum, and certain Dolch runs, seems to be undervalued substantially compared to more recent sets like striker or handarbeit, or even camping.

3 Likes

I have no evidence to back this up, but I think the second market pricing has stabilized after going through the roof last year.

My gut tells me there are so many group buys, like several GMK sets every week, and many more boards - and this is providing competition to the second hand market.

Last year was slow on group buys because of COVID.

7 Likes

Too bad beam springs and 4704s are in the multi thousands

Beam springs have no competition…

2 Likes