Keyboard Horror

Are those filtered Lucky Strikes? Didn’t know that was a thing.

3 Likes

Actually that might be the most surprising thing about the image to me lol

5 Likes

I love that the though process must have at least skirted near the line of, “Well you never know, I guess I might run over it at some point.”

2 Likes

My Model F before I fixed it up. $20 from the recycling center.

13 Likes

“It’s toasted”

2 Likes

Another winner from the print shop.

Mmm…

…almost like it’s trying to tell us something.

This one is for an almost never used backup plate-making station.

7 Likes

Is that Windows 2000?

If you have it fully working now it is a very good deal!

1 Like

I’m actually not sure but it would not surprise me at all. There is quite a lot of archaic digital technology in that building. The design stations are pretty up to date, but all the other computers are only as new as they absolutely have to be to make xyz thing happen.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much the case in a lot of industrial settings, I’ve seen lines building cutting edge consumer electronics in China running windows XP.

I was in a factory in Dongguan in 2018 and we were trying to get a laser set up to engrave the devices and having trouble getting the software running and the tech from the laser company was like “oh, let me just connect the PC running it to the internet and download newer software”, that was a windows XP pc and I was kinda worried what was going to get engraved onto the devices after that or if it was going to get inundated with viruses right away lol, it did end up being okay in the end I made sure to unplug it right away after he left haha

4 Likes

This came in a few days ago and it’s probably the dirtiest keyboard I’ve ever bought. Possibly not worth cleaning.

5 Likes

horror

4 Likes

I should get some pictures of pretty much any of the PCs in our woodshop. They refuse to put a filter sock on them because they’re worried they’ll get “too hot”. I’m thinking the 1 CM thick layer of sawdust is probably doing that well enough.

5 Likes

I eventually gave up on cleaning it…the grime was too stuck on the case!

2 Likes

Every picture in this album…
https://imgur.com/a/fS9R8JN

8 Likes

I just… can’t even… I died. :skull:

And it never seems to get better… at any point on the board. It’s like this is the best they could muster after soldering every single joint.

5 Likes

Oh god…how the in the world was this even possible. This is truly horrifying.

2 Likes

Surely that was done as a joke.

Please, let that be a joke.

3 Likes

It’s good parody, one way or the other - but given the PCB is covered in memes, I’d like to think the soldering job is one as well. It looks like they pulled the already under-temp iron away with the solder wire still attached, let it cool, and then clipped the wire off higher up for maximum shittiness.

It… also looks like some of the joints have mutilated Millmax sockets? Maybe that’s some other component - kind of hard to identify with the amorphous blob covering it.

4 Likes

If it works … It works :smiley: