Keyboard Horror

Brb. I need to go wash my hands now. Ack.

How many Lysol wipes did that take? Iā€™m going to guess somewhere between 7-8 :joy:

I was greeted by dead bugs in 2 of my vintage blacks. D:

11 Likes

Oh, buddy

6 Likes

oh god, was that in a machine shop or sawdust factory? lol

1 Like

Not far off; an industrial printing facility currently undergoing renovation. Paper particulate and concrete dust everywhere. That layer of crud could be ten years worth, or ten days - hard to say. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just had my kitchen redone (as well as resanding the entire lower floor of my house). There was 100% this much dust in my entire house. I had my keyboards all in cases and in closed storage inside a room with a sealed off door.

2 Likes

Part of my company runs a cabinet shop. For years we pleaded with them to put socks over the PCā€™s to keep the sawdust out, but they were worried that they would get ā€œtoo hotā€. Like somehow all the sawdust accumulating on the internal components wasnā€™t a bigger problem.

Iā€™m glad that shop supervisor retired.

1 Like

This is bringing back memories of my first full time job. It was at a print shop that produced a certain extremely popular card game that implores you to ā€œcatch ā€˜em allā€. Because of that, all our scrap had to be securely shredded. The shredding and baling process produced this fine, white dust that got EVERYWHERE. Hopefully that dust is at least temporary!

2 Likes

Smart move. Not many contractors will do it, but I let my customers know from the door that even though Iā€™ll take every precaution necessary to keep the dust captured. There will still be a good bit that makes it through the house. Even if you close off the duct work to that room, the fine dust will still find a way in.

2 Likes

Aliexpress photos like those are up there in terms of ā€œhorrorā€ for me. The razer one might not look that bad, but look howā€¦wet those switches are.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Thatā€™s quite good. Not gonna lie.

1 Like

Howdy Hey

3 Likes

Bag lubed stems.

7 Likes

That looks horridly thick. And sticky. What a mess.

1 Like

I know thereā€™s at least one factory switch that comes with the whole stem soaked in oil, and thereā€™s at least one person here that bag-lubes their stems. Apparently it hasnā€™t presented any issues with their keycaps yet.

Iā€™m going to guess that YMMV depending on the caps and stems, but Iā€™ve definitely had oil contamination complicate stabs, when too much gets on the stab stems, which tend to be thinner than switch stems. (Some definitely arenā€™t; I canā€™t remember if it was C3 or KBDfans stabs that have stems on the fat sideā€¦) Anyway - say all that to say it may not be quite as crazy as it sounds.

Still probably wonā€™t see me doing it, though - I switch my caps pretty often and I donā€™t want any oil following them around.

3 Likes

Technical issues aside, I feel like if youā€™ve already gone through the trouble of disassembling all your switches, youā€™re not saving that much time by bag lubing vs brush lubing them.

1 Like

What I see in that photo is over lubed stems. Itā€™s easy to correct.

It takes me about 5 minutes to fully lube around 100 stems. Iā€™d say it saves at least two hours per board. If you have too much lube as in that photo, you can wipe the container clean and shake again to redistribute.

Iā€™m telling you guys, I have dozens of boards with tub lubed stems. It works very well and Iā€™ve never encountered issues.

Also, I wouldnā€™t recommend lubing together with springs. Springs tend to gather clumps
Of lube as they roll around in the tub.

4 Likes

WO THER BAHD

This oneā€™s getting a deep-clean and some new keys.

6 Likes