[Kickstarter] Hexgears X-1 Low Profile Mechanical Keyboard — Kono Store

Hexgears and Kono Store teamed up to launch the X-1, a wireless low profile keyboard with Kaihua Choc (PG1350) switches. We’re directing Kickstarter backers here so they can chat with the KeebTalk community.

Key Features (so you know what everyone is talking about):

• Compact, low profile form factor (35.5 x 13 x 1.5 cm, 0.5 kg)
• Hard-sided carrying case
• Kaihua “Choc” low profile mechanical switches (Brown, Red, White)
• RGB lighting with multiple backlight modes
• CNC machined aircraft grade aluminum case
• Wireless: 4 device Bluetooth memory, 6KRO
• Wired: USB Type-C, NKRO
• 3 month estimated battery life with lights off (4 - 20 hours with RGB lighting — varies with brightness levels and use case)

Check out the campaign at this link: X-1 Kickstarter Campaign
X-1 Giveaway, if you want to join: https://woobox.com/ivgkk8

I’ll keep this post updated as things progress.

4 Likes

Is it programmable via KLE? What MCU does it use?

I’ve poked around at some of the prototypes, it uses a dual BLE + USB controller: PAR2801QN

http://www.pixart.com.tw/product_data.asp?product_id=167&productclassify_id=0&productclassify2_id=0&productclassify_name=&productclassify2_name=&partnumber=PAW3702DL-TXNT,%20PAR2402QK-RB

As far as I can tell it’s not programmable as there’s hardly any flash space on the chip. And uses 8051 (instead of AVR or ARM) so it’s a pain to program for.

3 Likes

Edit: HaaTa beat me to the punch.

It’s not programmable by default, nor is it programmable via KLE. The MCU is an 8051.

Hexgears has a separate engineering team, so they tend to select their own features and design elements. We’re planning to help them expand their capabilities over time.

2 Likes

I have a few questions. In no particular order:

• How do Choc switches compare to their non-low-profile brethren (e.g. choc brown to MX brown, etc)?
  • Is it possible to mix and match keycaps (e.g. to get a black board with white keycaps and vice versa)?
  • How much is the case going to retail for?
  • Where else can I get keycaps that work with this board?

Thanks a bunch.

Choc switches feel pretty darn good in comparison. You can compare the Choc force curves on Kickstarter to graphs from the Comparative Switch Guide.

As things stand, you won’t be able to order a black keyboard with white caps or vice versa. We are looking into making Mac / Novelty / complete sets in other colorways available.

The carrying case is included — it’s already factored into the price.

No one else manufactures keycaps that will fit this keyboard properly.

Is there a timeline on the new caps? As much as I love mechanical keyboards I love customized mechanical keyboards even more. :stuck_out_tongue:

With regards to the carrying case: sweet! With regards to no one else making keycaps that fit this keyboard: bummer. Are these switches just not as popular / pervasive as hi-pro switches?

Does the USB-C cable come bundled with the keyboard? If so, is it a braided cable? Thank you!

No timelines right now. If they happen, they’ll have some cool themed color schemes though.

The PG1350 / Choc switches are just hitting the US market, as they’re a fairly new product. There’s not enough demand for most manufacturers to produce diverse keycaps — at least not yet.

1 Like

A USB-C to A cable will be included. I’m pretty sure it will be braided (like 95%), but I’ll need to double check with Hexgears to be absolutely sure.

It looks like Hexgears got the idea for the layout from Lenovo Y720’s keyboard:

The key sizes (e.g. numpad keys narrower than 1u) and spacing between blocks (numpad, groups of F keys) are pretty much the same as on Y720’s keyboard. Looks like X-1 has a slightly larger spacebar, though, and some of the numpad functions are rearranged.

I’ve got two more questions:

1. Which version of BT does it use?
  2. What stabilizers does it use?
2 Likes

Was looking forward to this one and was a bit shocked to see that it’s not programmable. I’m going to have to pass as it’s a basic feature at this point that I can’t go without.

1 Like

Woo! Already funded. Congrats, Hexgears and Kono!

Dang that’s a shame! Maybe in a future revision?

Yep, it will ship with a braided cable.

1 Like

Interesting! I wasn’t aware of the similarity.

It uses BT 4.
The stabilizers aren’t standard Cherry or Costar — they’re a different low profile variant.

I’m fairly new to keyboards, I was wondering if anyone could help me determine which keys to pick (white/brown/red). Right now I primarily use a laptop so am used to those keys, and my docking station uses a Logitech Slim K740 which I have no idea what kind of keys it has. I like them both, and I like getting a response when I press a key, thats how I respond to my typing. So thinking: not red. I do quite a bit of mmorpg gaming but not fps. Thoughts?

Sounds like you’d want brown. If you want the keys to make a sharp click sound when you press them as well, then you’d want white.

A board by IC people w/o open firmware support! Would never expect this. Really bad news.

It’s by Hexgears, and it’s just being hosted through Kono. I:C’s people don’t really have a say on what and how it gets made in this respect.

2 Likes