Kickstarter: Shift Happens by Marcin Wichary

Marcin Wichary’s Shift Happens Kickstarter just went live. For those who may not have been aware of the project, he has been working on the story of keyboards for several years now, and has finally reached the book production stage. More details about the project are available on the associated website.

I’m not affiliated with the project in any way (other than as a backer, right now), but I have been following it with great interest - IMO, it looks like a home run.

22 Likes

This looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
It’s a bit pricey when considering getting it into Canada, but that’s understandable and I hope it succeeds.

3 Likes

I pledged, super cool.

Also, he hit his pledge goal of 150K in an hour?! Woah!!

1 Like

Ty @jshufelt, for the link :slight_smile:

This Kickstarter project is fantastic, just backed it !

2 Likes

I completely missed this thread when I posted in Interesting Finds about Shift Happens. I’ll link that back here. I was pretty excited about the project/book too and backed the project.

2 Likes

How big of a nerd am I that the reward that excites me most is the Gorton font? I’ve used an open-source knock-off to make mock-ups of keycaps designs for a while now, and a more professional version would make me chuffed.

9 Likes

This looks great.

1 Like

mandatory coffee table books for those of us in the business of keyboards and having coffee tables.

5 Likes

Marcin is an awesome guy who has been very supportive and helpful to me in my own projects. I’m so happy to finally see this project come to fruition. It’s beautiful–and an unbelievably deep dive into the history of keyboards.

8 Likes

The launch livestream is available on Youtube for people interested:

The man looks true and very passionate, like that a lot !

5 Likes

@jshufelt thank you! I absolutely love this.

3 Likes

I. Cannot. Wait.

I backed it, at regular not early-bird pricing, and have no regrets. If he gets to $700K there’s a stretch goal to not only print the add-on booklet in color, but also to make multiple weights of Gorton available as a reward :heart_eyes: it’s at $663K with 4 days to go :crossed_fingers:t3:anybody else wanna back it :joy:

4 Likes

I wonder how many of the backers are Keebtalkers :thinking:

1 Like

I’m really hoping it hits the $700k stretch! I had my doubts a few days ago that they’d reach it, but it’s looking like a distinct possibility now.

1 Like

So close!

1 Like

I’m starting to let myself get optimistic about hitting that last stretch goal.

2 Likes

Same! I’ve got a good feeling about it. I think it’s going to make it. Just think about all of those weights of Gorton!

$700k!

4 Likes

Woo! :partying_face:

This is fucking cool.