Light Tactile Switch Comparision

I got the new batch of Pewters and they feel more tactile than MX Brown and Meteor Orange.

3 Likes

Same, though I hated the pewters tactility. It was just a bunch of pre travel and a medium sharp bump with alot of pre travel. So like it’s linear (pre travel), then stops (bump), then linear again (post travel)(also the bump and bottom out felt very mushy, like mushier than a silent switch). And those things just felt really awkward, to me it felt like a confused mushy tactile. So i was really scared to try cherry browns cause i hated pewters and people said that they were alike. But then i went to BestBuy one day and there was a switch tester that had cherry browns and it took out everything i hated, it had a smaler bump and a not mushy feeling tactile bump and bottom out. And i loved them so much and it’s basically my favorite tactile now. But i’m so glad i went to bestbuy cause now i know browns are my favorite tactile and that pewters feel really different (atleast to my fingers)

3 Likes

Got some exciting things coming up in this category.

Going to be looking at some SP Star Meteor Orange rebuilds in September, looking at how to make the sound more ‘office-friendly.’

May have some Gateron Milky Cap Browns coming, to compare with Gateron Golden Cap Browns. Early reports are that the Milky Cap Browns are lubed more and sound better. Gold Cap Browns have leaf noise.

There hasn’t been much talk of the Cap Browns here, but apparently they are decently-lubed and have relatively stable housings by Gateron standards. Different spring weights from typical Browns. If they are indeed a decent stock switch [esp. the Milky Cap Browns], this could make them worth discussing in light tactiles.

4 Likes

Thanks @HungerMechanic! I am really excited to hear about the Gateron Milky Cap Browns. I have been tempted to try them.

2 Likes

Yes, there’s actually someone planning to lube and film the Cap Browns and send them to me. So far, he says there’s no point in doing anything to the Milky Browns as they’re fine. The Golden Cap Browns are going to have the leafs lubed.

I’ll compare the L + F samples to stock of each type and let you know how it goes.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking online and seen some good reviews on the cotton candy switches that came out recently. People saying they’re the ultimate cherry mx brown. Anyone have experience with them?

1 Like

That’s a good question. They should be good light tactiles, from what we know.

I’m trying to get some where I am, but it’s not easy in non-U.S.

Pewters were very popular, and these are like Nylon Pewters. Plus, it would be interesting to see how the factory lubing is. It’s not cheap.

Bump this up, since pewter and sp star meteor orange are back in stock! Since I got some milky cap brown last week, I have been enjoying them. They made me want to try out more light tactile after almost a year of being on linear. I wonder how these comparisons stand after a year and what are your current favorite light tactile?

1 Like

I’m going to regret saying this, since the price will probably go up, but SP Star Duck are 90 for $67 CAD on AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003612518232.html

I tried a few, and they seem to be a new switch!

They seem to be a little more tactile than SP Star Meteor Orange. Like an Ergo Clear instead of a Brown. Actually, I would say that they are close to the AULA Matcha Axis light-tactile - feel like a ‘fuller’ Brown.

Seem to be good for sustained typing. Still a plasticy sound, not as bad as Meteor Orange but you’ll want to lube them, I imagine.

Where are Meteor Orange back in stock? [They were always kinda in-stock in China].

I just brought out a bunch of my keyboards for an impromptu ‘meetup’ and the CAP Milky Brown were fairly well-received by non-enthusiasts [with ABS MT3]. Ergo Clears were ‘too loud’ [on an NCR-80].

My experience after 1 year: CAP Browns have too little post-travel. They slam down, because once you clear the bump, there’s enough force to bottom-out. Spring needs to be heavier at the bottom, or there needs to be more post-travel. Factory lube is only 75% of the way there, and it whooshes.

On the plus side, they are cheap, they sound mostly-lubed, and they are good enough for gaming. I wrote about them here, recently:

Meteor Orange are still good. The factory sound is still terrible, at least for someone used to Cherry. Factory spring weight is just-right. They NEED lube and films. Meteor Orange is good enough to do a soldered build. They are going on an HMKB. They are equally at home on metal or polycarb plates. Seem to be designed for Cherry-profile. My Meteor Orange will use Cherry tops, which is just better according to testing 8 modifications.

I still don’t like any derivative of Durock Light Tactile. Not because they are bad - the switches are generally well-manufactured. However, they are more tactile than even some Ergo Clears according to tests on Youtube. I also have issues with how the stem engages with the leaf, and rebounds. It’s just not the right stem profile for me. But they are tight housings with low-wobble. Try the Cotton Candy, if you can.

The Youtube video mentioned above showed Naevy 1.5 switches vs. Cotton Candy. The Cotton Candy, when pushed against the Naevies, will actually depress that switch. So they resist more than an Ergo Clear. The Naevies themselves are excellent. Some say they don’t need lube. I have 70+ lubed Navies and they are going in a board with MT3. Fantastic Ergo Clears, and I’m saying that as someone with 5 batches of them.

2 Likes

They are in stock at divinikey. It says it’s v1.5 not sure if this is the same one you tried. I want to get some light weighted light tactile so this may be the one I will get.

Have you tried to use shorter springs in the cap brown? Long springs are probably why the cap brown feels it collapses immediately after the bump.

1 Like

Pretty sure the 1.5 is just because they are making a color change to the whole meteor line, the original color for the meteor switches was a dark blue housing. They change it to grey for whites and now seem to update the rest of the line.

I personally doubt about this because it is not something experience with other tactile, it actually feels the other way around to me. Also CAP springs are not compatible with Cherry MX style switches and are not wildly available; as far as I know there are no aftermarket springs for the CAP architecture atm.

1 Like

I also really like the meteor oranges and CAP browns and I agree with HungerMechanic on most of his points.

• I agree on the sounds of oranges stock, especially the top out. It is loud and not pleasing, you need lube and I can see why cherry tops would benefit them. But otherwise the bump profile and weight felt right to me.

• CAP browns: I liked how muted and deep they sound, first switch I liked with my PPS keycaps. but mine were dripping in oil, I don’t know what happened at the factory during lubing but the bag they came in was full of oil like when you are bag lubbing springs. So I agree with HungerMechanic on squeaks and swishing noises but once in the board it is not something I was noticing (my room is not perfectly silent plus the PPS keycaps and the board were probaby covering most of it). Feel wise I prefer the oranges and the mallos. Something is odd with the leaves, I think they are too far away from the stem or something, because a lot of them had some of the worst ping I ever heard (fixable to some extend at least).

• One of my new favorite pick up thanks to a very informative post here was the KTT Mallos, I was not impressed until I built a board with them. The bumb is small so, in hands it felt irrelevant but once in a board with keycaps I liked it a lot better, truly light. Sound wise, they are loud like the oranges but sound much better stock, plus they are smooth and cheap. The big issue I had with them was the leaf ping but thick grease did the job.

3 Likes

Thanks for writing this, it is very interesting to read! I don’t know anything about the kTT Mallos , will check them out. For cap brown, my golden cap brown also leaked oil on pcb, the milky cap brown that I got recently seems okay. Gateron might have used less lube now. I also really like the muted and deep sounds of cap brown. And the fact they are decent out of the box and will likely to be always available.

Good to know that both you and HungerMechanic like meteor orange! I have been thinking about getting them or the pewter or the cotton candy. I heard that cotton candy is essentially pewter in nylon and with extended springs. I like the nylon sounds, but less sure about the extended springs.

1 Like

Wow! These are new 1.5 that I’ve never seen before.

They seem to have implemented improvements for sound quality, which is what I would have asked for.

I can tell you that the original [blue/orange] Meteor Orange 1.0 was comparable to an MX Brown. But it is definitely smoother than most MX switches, and I think the weight is a bit lighter. Tactile bump is about the same, but maybe a little lower.

I really have to try these. Got to find a way to get them in Canada.

WRT the CAP Browns, there has been a lot of talk about using both shorter and longer springs. In fact, some people advocate the former, while others reached the opposite conclusion. I’m not sure what the truth is, it might come down to your typing style.

The problem is that CAP Browns use non-standard [to MX] stem / spring designs. So I had issues trying to use replacement springs. At least with Zealio V1 Redux [which you should definitely, definitely try], it’s easier to use aftermarket springs [still not perfect].

I forgot to mention the Zealio V1. They actually work well with some springs. I have samples with 60 TX, where the switch was only lubed in certain places. They turned out really, really well. So well that I need to find a solderable TKL or 70% with a polycarb plate down the line.

Others mentioned the KTT Mallo, which I was going to get to eventually [had to leave]. Mallo were amazingly cheap in the GB / pre-order stage: I got my first 100 for $25 USD + tax/shipping! They went up to $3 for 10, but that’s still cheap.

Anyway, the cost is not the main attraction for me. They are true light-tactiles. Get the 55 G version. They are super-smooth, like KTT linears. Housings are tight, films probably not necessary. Stock sound is okay-ish, and operation is fine. BUT as mentioned by others the leaf is horrible, so you will at least need to lube that.

I have 87 where just the leaf is lubed. Operation is great, and they don’t squeak much anymore [it’s not 100% foolproof unless you go heavy on leaf lube]. Put these in an affordable TKL like MK870, and it’s a completely viable and cheap build.

If you look at some threads here, they have been taken apart. Someone says the stem is almost identical to pre-retool MX Browns. That would make sense, because I type on those also, and these are like a smoother version of that.

As indicated elsewhere, these are crazy-light in terms of tactility. Almost seems a joke. But they work fine as the truest “light tactile” that there is. I actually find myself wanting a little more weight/tactility, like maybe Meteor Orange or even SP Star Duck and 57-58.5 G weight.

Definitely worth a try for light-tactile enthusiasts.

Also, b/c they are cheap, if they were in stock you might want to pick up AULA Matcha Green tactiles. They were like $35 CAD for 100:

They’re actually pretty decent, but probably should be lubed.

Also, the OUTEMU Silent Lemon can be picked up VERY cheap right now:

They were a hit at my “meetup.” The best light silent-tactile for the money. They just need a light coating of lube. Maybe just the leaf+spring, like Mallo. I hear they are a pain to open, though, might need a knife or something.

I didn’t mention it before, but I agree with others that it would be cool to lube the KTT Mallo more than just the leaf+spring, because it would be better if it sounded deeper. Be careful, though, because of the minimal tactility.

1 Like

I agree on the stock Orange - the top-out is what bothers me the most.

[It sounds as if the switch-top is on really loose, like an old OUTEMU! Maybe that’s why films are needed.]

CAP Browns even sound decent on a stock RAKK, which amplifies bad noise. @linch CAP Brown V1 are known for leaking oil, though. So I didn’t put them in anything expensive! V2 allegedly fixes this, but who knows. There needs to be a V3.

The hottest new [genuine] light-tactiles are indeed the Mallos and Meteor Orange. [And CAP Brown + Pewter / CC I would say are light-medium.]

I have samples of Cotton Candy, and I think they were right to use nylon, b/c I hate the stock Pewter housing sound. I didn’t have any issues with Cotton Candy operation, but didn’t test them much. To save money, you could order samples stock and L + F them yourself.

1 Like

Divinikeys posted a video comparing 4 different plate sounds with Meteor Orange 1.5:

The FR4 sounds crunchy and satisfying, but I’d like the POM better if it were quieter. In real-life, I’ll be trying Meteor Orange 1.0 with a polycarb plate, but those switches will be modified for sound beforehand.

3 Likes

Akko POM Brown feels and sounds great even for linear lover like me. While my favorite light tactile is a frankenswitch which’d cost nearly $2 per switch to recreate, Akko POM Brown just needs lube and high-angle case to start enjoying.

CAVEAT: It’s tactility is slightly stronger so, while my frankenswitch feels great at 7-degree, I had to make a ramp out of foam to increase 7-degree angle of LM90 LM60 to 7.5-degree get the similar near-linear feel.

UPDATE: Moved the switches to Brutal 60, a 7.5-degree case, and it feels even better. I guess making up the difference in angle with foam is not as nice as the real thing.

2 Likes

I think that they might be medium tactiles, if they are stronger than AKKO CS Ocean Blue / Lavender Purple.

1 Like

What’s your favorite light tactile frankenswitch?

This weird combo:

• NK Cream top (POM)
  • Kailh Pro Plum stem (long-pole)
  • FLCMMK Ice Mint bottom (POM)

I’ve no idea why this combo sounds better than full NK Cream or fullo FLCMMK Ice Mint housings but it does. Full 4mm key travel unlike Kailh Pro Plum also.

5 Likes