List of Cherry-profile keycap sets

I stumbled across a possible candidate for the knockoffs/shady brands category. Geez.

https://diykeycap.com/collections/keycaps-wallets

They offer custom dye sub sets with an MOQ of 1 for $59!

If true that’s incredibly cool.

Finally an option that isn’t ABS/OEM from WASD/MAXKEYS.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d say shady… Just looked at a set of modifiers. They supposedly sold 5 of them in the last 18 hrs, and had over 200 people viewing the page… But, never mind that it was a GB that ended last October.

Anytime you see these “X sold in last XX hrs” or “XXX people viewing this page right now” you’re into the shady area…most of those things are just some bits of javascript that generate random numbers to make the customer think there is pressure. Basically playing on the FOMO.

Plus, I looked at their Red Samurai set, and yikes, some of the legends on those keys are all over the place…just bad looking.

2 Likes

Do you have the updated link for the seller? I think it’s not working anymore. Thanks man!

1 Like

This has been mentioned once previously in this thread, there is a brand of affordable keycaps called Xiami.

According to a recent Youtube video, they are pretty good-sounding:

Apparently, they are $20 - 30 on Taobao, if you can navigate that website.

2 Likes

I knew I should’ve bought some sets when I posted them here. They seemingly blew up as of recent! All sold out

Very interesting, especially if you are like me, typing on a strange layout :slight_smile:

I’m going to contact them to see if it is possible to order just alphas and if they do also ISO caps :slight_smile:

Do you have a link to this store? on tao.

The person moved off the marketplace to taobao now

1 Like

where would mw pbt be?

Thanks, added Milkyway PBT!

1 Like

Added 21kb/Xiami with a link to the KeebTalk comparison by @Kokaloo

2 Likes

How about Tai Hao? To their credit they do not blatantly knock off other companies’ colorways.

I could be wrong, but I believe they are OEM profile, which is slightly different from Cherry

Whoops! You’re right. My headcanon is Tai Hao cubic = “tall cherry.”

CannonKeys link and price range is a bit outdated.

They have NicePBT and CannonCaps now and the range is usually $60-$85

Thanks, I did have NicePBT listed as $60-85 with a link to the “NicePBT” search on CannonKeys’ site but could probably remove the separate entry for the older Honeywell set.

Do you happen to know what the distinction is between NicePBT and CannonCaps? For the Cherry-profile ones, both are dyesub / reverse dyesub PBT right?

CannonCaps: ~1.4mm thickness. PBT plastic. Less textured than NicePBT. Dye sub. Cross-shaped stem (+)
** CannonCaps CXA: ~1.85mm thickness. More textured than CannonCaps PBT keys, similar texture to NicePBT (but still different). ABS + PBT plastic mix. doubleshot. flower-shaped stem

NicePBT: ~1.7mm thickness. PBT plastic. More textured than CannonCaps. Dye sub and reverse dye sub. Flower-shaped stem on newer sets.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Added the details about NicePBT vs CannonCaps!

Is there a preferred way to refer to the Cherry-profile CannonCaps specifically (vs CannonCaps CXA)? This document is for Cherry-profile keycaps, so I just wanted to help people distinguish and link to the proper product search if possible.

Anyone know the thickness of those AliExpress clone sets?