Looking for a very specific setup

Not really, that would be the opposite of CMD+Tab, which in OS world is the equivalent of WIN+Tab I think. Opposite as is, it cycles through apps right to left instead of left to right.

CMD+` instead cycles through windows of the same app. I hope that clarifies.

Funny coincidence - I ran into someone else who noticed the high resting position and “settle-in” in their Zilents just yesterday - right after I told you I couldn’t corroborate it.

It’s a very fixable issue (Outemu did), and I’d be surprised if innovation didn’t continue with silents to address it, whether occasional fluke or design flaw.

1 Like

I suppose for that what is needed is a massive community issue report, but if the cases are sparse and there are no enough feedbacks chances are that the company won’t do much I assume.

By the way, I forgot to ask explicitly, although you might be a fan, but, if you were to get yourself a silent tactile switch, as of now, what would you get?

Have you tried foam between the plate and PCB and PCB and bottom case? I have two boards where I’ve done that with tealios and they are both about the same loudness as a similar board I did with healios and no foam, while feeling much nicer, although YMMV

That’s a good question! While I don’t think any silent tactile I’ve tried has fully “arrived” (they all have some significant flaw imo), I think I’d have to go with Outemu Silent Sky switches because they check all the boxes for why I would be buying a silent tactile. They are consistent in terms of how much noise they make, are on the more quiet side, and they are immune to the weird resting position thing.

All that said, I’m personally waiting to see if any further developments occur in that space, since it’s one of the most recent additions to the MX-compatible family of switches and I still see room for the designs to mature.

I think dwarflemur’s suggestion of using foam is a good one no matter what switch you choose. Anything to reduce air-space between hard surfaces will help mitigate harsh sounds.

That’s definitely in my buy list, I saw a site which I can’t recall now, that sells a lot of laser cut foam sheets for many type of cases, including the drop ALT. At present despite I said I don’t want to give money to them the alt seems to be closest thing to what I’m looking for in terms of style and feature.

It’s configurable via QMK, it had few revisions already so it reached a discrete maturity, it’s RGB + underflow (not really needed but why not), hot swappable, and the current version comes in space grey which in my opinion can suit more setup than silver. It’s slim and sturdy so one cannot really fault it.

I was thinking to maybe go for the barebone version, get some nice stabs to begin with and foe the time being use the halo true from my k-type whilst I wait for new switches to come out, or in the meantime I can surely go for either the Outemu suggestion or Zilent v2. I was also looking at the washers to solve the keycaps contact on north facing switches but not sure about those and then I was seeing/reading somewhere about a sort of mod for the switch case where you add a ring in between of the two housing pieces that should also help with stability and sound dampening.

So that’s where I’m at after days of pondering and search. I just wish I could find something like the ALT case and PCB elsewhere but so far I found nothing.

1 Like

I think you’re thinking of MK Ultra (the keyboard foam shop, not the program)

2 Likes

Probably more stability and sound changing, but not so much dampening. Films is why they’re called. The best ones imo are the TX ones.

1 Like

Yes correct :slight_smile:

And right as well, that’s exactly what I was talking about… I was trying to find again the video where I saw them but it got lost in my history already :frowning_face:

With that said how does my plan sound? Nothing like the ALT case/pcb sparks to mind?

One of my friends got a space65 from the first round, it’s pretty sick and there is an imminent second round see here. I don’t think that one has hotswap though.

There’s nothing wrong with the alt, I personally don’t like low profile boards at all, but I think the high profile one looks like a very nice keyboard.

The only problem I have with the ALT is drop :slight_smile:

I’m still a bit torn about what happened between them and input club, I guess I will need to go read the various public statement and make a more informed decision.

1 Like

This look quite interesting indeed, thanks for sharing. About the low vs high profile on the ALT I’m puzzled too, mostly because I like both :slight_smile:

And talking about coincidences look at this picture, noticing something familiar?

It would seems like my Halo True they are not level either and I never noticed.

Mine are the same.

There’s a subtle difference in the resting height between most switches, and those Outemu silents sit lower than most - they’re kind of an extreme example.

The real thing to watch for is if that is having an effect on the travel or feel - in most cases, it’s just the spec of the switch - but in the case of Zilents vs Zealios, I think those top dampeners were interfering with the intended feel of the switch (by being too short for the housing), but not so with the equivalent non-silent versions, which sat comparatively lower.

I used the Halo Trues with my CTRL for a few months, and they all felt as they should to me. :+1:

1 Like

Yes they feel the way the should (I suppose), I spent some time to click them eyes closed to try to feel them well as I didn’t feel anything weird.

So now I’m even more intrigued maybe get a small pack zilent and try how the fell

And today I learnt about QMX clips and I was thinking, maybe I can then use a normal good tactile switch and silence it with the clips instead of go silent and risk to have issues with them. What are your thoughts @Deadeye?

I can’t say since I’ve never used QMX or Zilencio clips. I think it’s worth getting a small sample pack of some silent tactiles and seeing how you feel about them yourself. Not sure if you can get small numbers of those clips but I’m sure someone on here has tried them.

1 Like