Looking for a very specific setup

Definitely does - there are all kinds of options for that use case. I think the Dz60rgb v2 is a safe option to build-out from, based on reviews. There are solder-in and hot-swap versions on KBDfans at the moment.

It looks like they support QMK for remapping, and should fit the majority of cases meant for 60% boards. (Loads available!) They should be compatible with any mx-style switch, and they have surface-mounted rgb leds so you can dial-in the lighting you prefer, for the most part.

There are MacOS-friendly shine-through caps out there, but you might have to get them separately from a set.

1 Like

I was also thinking something even crazier after watching this video what if I go down this route? Meaning, using a more standard and conventional 60% pcb (mate I have even more and better options) and I make it hot swappable using those sockets shown in the video? Or am I starting to complicate things given that the DZ6rgb v2 is already a solid choice? In terms of cases instead, do you know if the k-type/dawn/dusk/alt/ctrl alu case comes in a 60% form factor by any chances?

I’m not too familiar with those sockets myself, so I can’t comment on them too much. The DZ itself is pretty standard and conventional (IIRC it’s a sort of unofficial updating of the very standard GH60), and there is a version that comes with Kailh hot swap sockets. The PCB in the video there is pretty wild having compatibility with a different switch form factor - I’d say definitely less standard than the DZ.

I don’t think that case has a 60% iteration, but most 60% cases should fit the DZ pcb. I haven’t seen all that many outboard style ones, though (like the Ktype).

1 Like

As PCB goes I was thinking more about an MX compatible one that doesn’t necessarily come with hot swappable features but that maybe is even more well regarded in the community. I don’t know, I hear the Satan PCBs are quite good for example but maybe I’m going too fast :slight_smile:

The Satan PCB was next on my list to recommend - I’m pretty sure both boards have the same level of compatibility when it comes to cases and such.

1 Like

So much to search for :slight_smile:

And by the way thanks a lot for your help so far, it’s really appreciated.

The WT60-D PCB from Mechanisk is very high quality, I have a few of them I’ve used with great results.

1 Like

Speaking of the WT60-D, Wilba recently mentioned that Novelkeys and someone else (in the EU iirc) will start stocking them soon if you can wait and don’t want to pay the $20 shipping from mekanisk.

1 Like

I can definitely wait… I’m not in any rush, I’d rather slowly get what I need and get it right.

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check that one out too.

The WT60-D seemed great but I just noticed they don’t have LEDs. Also am I right in assuming VIA is powered by QMK?

Last but not least, that sleeve mod to make a PCB hot swappable… is it compatible with most?

Oh that’s lit I didn’t know that I was thinking of getting one or two more.

Yes and yes. Wilba left LEDs out of that design in order to make it easier to have the flex cuts (since otherwise the traces would be very crowded) and VIA is basically just a fancy fronted for QMK that only certain QMK boards are compatable with.

As for sockets for making a regular pcb hotswap, it should work with most boards but there are a few different sizes you can get with different considerations for each. I’ll see if I can track down the mechmarket post that had all the details about that.

e: Here’s the post explaining the different types of sockets: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/cbykxw/millmax_socket_guide_pxlnght/
And here’s the GB I got that link from: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/f331jm/gb_millmax_sockets_0305_7305_24_pin_dip_socket/

2 Likes

@Deadeye @iaman I just tagging you in case you want to move the conversation over here so to not pollute too much the photos thread.

@Deadeye the switches post was very interesting. What did you mean exactly about the feeling and the tactility; did you mean that their tactility is more pronounced?

If I understand the question correctly - in regards to the out-of-spec resting position, you can feel the stem sort of “settle into place” before the spring starts to compress.

I’m not sure if you’ve ever driven a car with a a loose throttle cable, but it’s kind of like that; there is some un-intended, loose-feeling travel before the normal engagement. Basically at the very top it feels loose until you have the full weight of your finger on it and start to press down.

Oh right, so it’s like you feel it’s out of place, almost detached from the inner spring, then you feel the compression starting and then I guess the second actual switch bump? Did I get you right? If that’s the case I’m not sure I’m going to like them then, with my OCD that would probably annoy me and freak me out.

Yes, I think you got it. I haven’t heard anybody else mention this, so I could have a bad handful of switches, but definitely a possibility to be aware of. It’s subtle but drove me nuts.

Personally I’ve yet to find a totally satisfying silent tactile, though there are plenty of decent ones. My overall favorite silent so far is the Gateron Silent Ink, and for maximum silence at the cost of feel, some hybrid made with Outemu Silent Sky (linear) stems and lube.

Well you’d think that something like that would be mentioned by others considering how geek the people in the community are about it I presume… but it can also be that you are more sensitive than others as well.

I’ll try to find out more. I don’t think linear will do it for me, I prefer tactile for what I experienced so far.

Indeed - it could be a fluke, and even with that flaw they (Zilents) are probably still the best silent tactiles out right now. At the end of the day the best thing to do is try some for yourself. I do have a few extra Outemu silent tactile stems you can mess with if you like.

1 Like

Thanks @Deadeye, I really appreciate the offer but I guess the shipping cost for just a test is not worth it, but imagine as if I accepted the offer gladly. I think I’ll try to get myself a tester board from kbd or novel with all the tactile silent they might have.