Mistakes you make that make you facepalm

True. So did the DZ60RGB v2. I didn’t realize what those mesh-covered pads were for as those details get skipped in most build vids.

What’s weird is a new DZ60RGB I picked up from Divinikey didn’t have them, that ESD has been integrated into the circuit board. Neat. I guess they’re made in Ireland now. Idk.

5 Likes

The “I’ll make the adjustment/addition later, after I finish the initial build” thought while making/building a complex project… only to get it finished and never reopen it to address said adjustment/addition due to having spent a substantial amount of time getting it to work to begin with and not wanting to revisit its inner workings because I’m not entirely sure just how precarious the nature of its functionality is. Applies to most hardware projects I do, and every single software project I’ve set my grubby little paws on.

4 Likes

buying silent switches thinking i will like them, only 2 hours later regretting it and taking the stem dampening pads out to try get that sound back, and the feel, only to have some hella inconsistent switches a few days later. did it with my first keyboard, have done 3 times since.

4 Likes

There is a term for this in the software dev world, but I’ve forgotten it… But we all know it’s a general rule about putting off what we intend to do until it comes back to bite us in the a**.

5 Likes

Spent an hour today trying to figure out why i couldn’t get bootmapper client to connect to the B.87 PCB on my old Winkeyless.KR board. That happens sometimes. BMC simply wont see it and you have to redownload a new .exe file. Still, couldn’t get it working. What the heck??

Then I tried a few function combos to see if I remembered how I set the RGB effects on it previously. I was seeing QWK lighting roatation though…

and then it hit me…

Several months ago, I started digging and found that B87 boards are now in the QMK repo. Happy to ditch BMC, I flashed it with a QMK hex. But apparently the “now” me hasn’t had any conversations with the “then” me lately.

So… yeah. I don’t know if it’s just part of getting older or what, but it sure was a facepalm moment.

4 Likes

It’s funny how our brain does and doesn’t work sometimes.

2 Likes

Came back from a 1am gym session, decided to swap out my keycaps for fun before I go to bed. The switches for ESC and 1 came out and I tried to put them in not realizing they’re north facing (the rest are south facing). I tried putting them in thinking they were south facing and the switches wouldn’t go in until I flipped them around and they finally went in. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

I’ve learned this. If I don’t do it right the first time I’ll have to redo it all over again. And if I don’t learn this lesson the first time I’ll have to do it again and again with subsequent iterations. Any complex project is worth planning and implementing correctly or else you end up up to your eyeballs in technical debt.

4 Likes

Broke a new hot-swap keyboard by inserting wrongly a switch, I repair it but, goddamn, shame on me !

2 Likes

2 of the most obvious things. Take pictures/videos when dissembling electronics of all kind.

And always priming all surfaces before spray painting… sheeesh…

5 Likes

I was messing around with the solenoid on my ModelF62 and accidentally connected the cable from the main board to the controller upside down… no more solenoid for me :skull:

Need to look for a candle in the scent of ruined electronics. It’s heavenly but only lasts a brief second and you are usually too panicked to enjoy it properly.

1 Like

Too bad:(
I think you fried the solenoid driver PCB, other components like main PCB and the solenoid itself should be fine.

1 Like

I figured. Nothing looks obviously fried on it, but I unplugged it fairly fast. Probably just enough to kill one thing. Guess I’ll order another.

1 Like

You put 5v to ground pin and ground to 5v pin, no matter how fast you unplugged it would not have changed a thing:(

1 Like

Here’s me holding my driver

2 Likes

Oh no! The magic smoke escaped!

2 Likes

Yesterday, my son asked to borrow my phone as we were leaving the house. When we got to our destination I asked if I could have my phone back… he said he left it ON the trunk.

Yeah, trying to get a new phone without having access to your old phone is a LOT of fun!

Can you detect the sarcasm?

7 Likes

I think i can hear the sarcasm from arkansas

My wife found it after walking for 2 miles in the 100 degree sun. Case is MIA. Good news is that I got the SIM card out of it.

Front and back for ya:

11 Likes

Dang… I’ve had some lady bring in her phone to be repaired like that… You might be able to recover data if it hasn’t rained in the time it was lost.

1 Like