Mistakes you make that make you facepalm

I thought you meant “left it in the trunk”… Oh damn.

2 Likes

Just put in some rice. :+1:

{I’m helping}

6 Likes

-has stab housing the correct orientation
-looks away for a fraction of a second
-installs on wire the wrong way

7 Likes

Soldering all hotswap sockets … reversed :smiley:
And to later have to file them all to be able to insert the switches…

6 Likes

Didn’t think this was an option.
Adding it to my repertoire of emergency (cough…janky) fix solutions.

Wanted to cut a plate but decided that I wanted to solder first… Now a stab won’t work because of the little metal bits that flew into the housing.

Pains me that it’s the Backspace key that won’t work. At this rate, I could make an entire list the Backspace key screwed me over :< Maybe “Enter” or “Spacebar” would have been a better name

1. Missing Backspace key

2. Backspace stab not working

3. Ciel full BS no work, using split BS

4. Accidentally cut off a diode on the backspace, had to do some black magic to fix

8 Likes

I did something like that a while back; I think some portion of the case needed a little shaving down or something and I ended up with metal dust inside four or five switches that are now doomed to eternal sandiness. I desoldered and replaced them. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I worked for a call center that also handled support calls for a specific manufacturers phone a few years ago. I had once or twice calls from customers wanting replacements for shattered phones like this. Angrily claiming that it only fell “from the table onto a soft carpet”, and that expensive phones should be constructed much more reliable, and similar stuff.

4 Likes

I repair a bunch of computers and point of sale systems for HP and their clients. I just replaced the SSD in one and I have to reinstall windows so i can test the printer port on a new base for the pos system. Everything turned on except the screen. so i unplugged the connectivity cable and reseated it and no dice. I try everything I can on the outside of the unit and then I finally reopen the main part of it. Guess who forgot to plug in the internal cable to power and display stuff on the screen…

8 Likes

Does it count if it’s not my mistake? (Don’t worry, I’ve made countless myself, but none of them close to the one I’m going to talk about):

There was this guy selling a Realforce 108UG JS HiPro, one of the rarest and most wanted Topre keyboards out there, which normally go for around 250k yen (~1800€) and he accidentally listed it for 25k (~180€)

I can only feel bad for the guy, but the one who snagged it had the luck of a lottery winner.

5 Likes

Not a keyboard thing but man, :person_facepalming:

Trying to hang up a jewelry cabinet in the closet for my wife. Got it all planned, started the first nail (this was about 7 inches from a corner), and I hit something. Feels like a stud facing the other way because it’s hard but I feel it flex a bit. I hit it hard to drive it in and I see the light in the closet flicker very faintly.

Oh snap!

I pull the nail out and ponder my options. Was it a random coincidence? Did I imagine it?

Now I have to worry that I’ve put a nail through a power line. And every time I’m trying to sleep at night or go on vacation I’m going to imagine my house burning down.

So I got a utility knife and carefully cut a square patch to inspect what was going on.

It was a stud. No wire. Can see right where the nail was just barely in the stud.

So now there’s a 1.5x1.5inch hole in the closet wall. God news is that the cabinet hides it.

Gonna be funny when someone moves that one day.

:person_facepalming:

9 Likes

The term is “normal software development process”.

:wink:

2 Likes

Every project. Every time. :sweat_smile:

Welcome to keebtalk!

2 Likes

Ohhhhhh, rip… :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Thinking vaseline would do as a stabiliser lube, instead of those expensive lubricants. This left me with a space bar unwilling to raise up again.

However, I solved this issue (literally) with tiny amounts of white spirit (terpentine) on a cotton swap. This corrective “technique” allows one to tether the amount of viscosity to the point of perfection.

Nonetheless, I learned my lesson and I finally ordered some expensive KRYTOX® XHT-BDZ for my upcoming builds.

2 Likes

Vaseline is petroleum based, so it’s a bad idea for use on plastics in general. It may take a very long time to eat any significant amount of material though, since almost all of the volatiles are removed during production.

3 Likes

The various keyboard/industrial lubes seem a lot more expensive than they are in practice. I’ve lubed 10 keyboards-worth of stabilizers from one 5 mL jar of Krytox 205g0 and it looks like I haven’t used any lube at all. Unless you’re lubing 1000 switches, this stuff lasts a long time.

1 Like

Corsa hotswap PCB. Small connector for screen on the back. Bent a pin. Tried to fix it very carefully, but the pin just fell right the fuck off. No more screen fun for me unless I buy a solder PCB. :man_facepalming:

I feel your pain.

1 Like

Ouch.