MOMOKA Frog Switches

Thank you iaman!

2 Likes

Thanks for your response! Really happy to know our switches are appreciated by users.

By the way, may I ask the conditions of the packaging when you received them? Is it damaged?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks for coming on here to answer some of our questions! That speaks a ton to me that there is truly some driving passion behind this product. I am very interested in these switches & appreciate the fact you were willing to come explain some of the reasoning behind your design. I will most likely be picking some up to try!

7 Likes

id love that

Thanks!

It’s true, I and my team spend a year working on this product. Among us are structural engineers, graduates with degrees related to material science, and industrial automation system designers. We are from different industries, but we have the same passion for making a good switch.

It is true that our very first product may not be beyond our expectations and we admit that this is just an entrance ticket to the market. This helps us keep running our factory and business. I am sure that, innovations won’t stop before the day we quit the market since our ambitions and passions for product design won’t fade.

We are currently working on low-cost hall effect keyboards, with switches adapted. We will open-source the project when finished and keyboard designers can use our standards for new designs. By the way, the advantage of a hall effect keyboard is that the actuation distance can be adjusted by firmware.

10 Likes

We do have a special project for reviewers, and distributors. If you are one, please access our page for frog switch and locate to the bottom of the page, where you’ll only need to pay 8.5USD for shipment and get a nice set of boxed-108PCS MOMOKA Frog Switch

4 Likes

@Manofinterests dis u

2 Likes

Not damaged at all, came in great shape!

Now this…this is innovation! I can’t believe I just read ‘low-cost’ and ‘hall effect’ in the same sentence. Hall-effect keyboards are frickin awesome! I’m excited for this and hopefully you guys can update us on it. LET’S GOOOO!

5 Likes

Please be better than the xmit hall effect keyboard
please be better than the xmit hall effect keyboard
please be better than the xmit hall effect keyboard

:pray:

6 Likes

Bamboo furniture still makes my eye twitch.

2 Likes

The bottom out on the TTC Gold V2 Reds is… Well, it’s like hitting a brick wall. I’ve never had another linear that types this solid, it’s frankly a little absurd.

5 Likes

Ordered a 108 pack from Dorp. Not sure about the extended actuation with a shortened bottom out, but definitely willing to give it a try!

1 Like

Switches are now on their way :sunglasses:

2 Likes

:pray:

I have some coming as well. I chose to order directly from Momoka, and not Dorp :stuck_out_tongue: I’m thinking these could be a good matchup for tray mount cases or those boards with a typically harsh bottoming out feel.

2 Likes

Got mine in from ThocKeys today; just fidgeting with one at work before I try them at home in the GK tonight. They do feel pretty darn stable. The spring is nice (reminds me of a Yellow off-hand) and they’re even reasonably smooth i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶o̶r̶y̶-̶d̶r̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶t̶e̶ -definitely looking forward to seeing how these respond to some (other) GPL.

Edit: thanks for the correction, @zev!

I think from ThocKeys, they come pre-lubed, not dry. From the main site, they say the build the switch parts, then “greasing: Ex-Factory, GP105”. I have been using mine as they arrived (did not manually re-lube) and they feel pretty nice, I think it was a pretty good stock lube job :slight_smile:

Some first-night impressions:

TL;DR: They’re good. Well above average, but there are quirks. Lower activation and an odd, if very mild resistance to the feel. If we’ve got “skate” and “butter” maybe these are… “mochi”? Between the two classical descriptions, definitely more on the butter side of things.

Stability: It isn’t that there’s less wobble when I put tweezers to the stem and move them back and forth, but that there’s less of the stem rattling about the housing on its way up and down the travel. In that way, they remind me of Gateron Caps - and in general they remind me of Yellows with a slow-curve feel. It does seem like there’s very good fitment between the top and bottom housings.

Smoothness: So this is overall very positive - I’d call it a “smooth” switch - but it’s also a mixed-bag, and I don’t mean inconsistency. In fact, the lube job itself is quite above-average as far as facory applications go. But - there’s another factor at work here, and (I think) that’s the interaction between the upper stem shroud and the top housing.

I don’t know how much that shroud contributes to the stable-feeling travel, but I do think it contributes to a somewhat bind-y feeling with these switches on off-center or especially slow presses. It’s not exactly the same, but not super different from the mild “sticky” feeling that factory Creams have. Side-by-side with Ink Yellows in this regard, there is:

• Less texture
  • More stability in travel
  • More smoothness
  • More resistance
  • Similar weighting through travel

Now - what’s different about these Frogs when compared to Creams, is that (no surprise) they are a lot less textured and scratchy. It also does seem more consistent during the travel, even when pressed slowly, as opposed to having a start-stop feeling like the Creams. For frictional resistance, it has smoothness of a kind. See what I mean about mixed bag?

As much time as I’m spending trying to describe it, I do feel the need to say again - that friction is mild, consistent to lateral pressure, and these switches are generally quite smooth when typing.

Not too bad to look at, really.

One other thing when pressing the switch really slowly, you might sometimes be able to just barely feel the leaf let-go of the stem.

Lube: About that specifically, it looks to be a light (for a factory) application of light grease targeted to the legs and leaf:

I don’t think 105 holds its shape like that, but it’s smooth, whatever it is.

A little dab here, a little dab there…

Justa wee clart flippin’ updare, loika prhepskeul hairkot…

Not bad at all for coming right out of the bag. Most factory lube jobs are usually all over the place and too heavy - these are remarkably targeted and reserved in comparison. I couldn’t even see it on the stem without my magnifier.

Sound: These first impressions are with ABS MT3 caps, which automatically add thock to everything, but these do have a nice understated, clean, thocky sound. I like it. I did briefly try a cheap pudding cap on the top row and while that was higher pitched the bottom-out retains its clean, deep feeling. Stop.

The top-out isn’t as clean-sounding, at least not straight from the bag - but it’s still not bad at all. Here’s a quick-and-dirty with my phone:

You might hear a bit of ping; it’s nothing crazy but it’s there.

Bottom-out feel: Decidedly not harsh. It’s no silent and it’s not exactly quiet - but again, understated. With it’s lower actuation and slight material resistance to the travel, these pretty much encourage you to bottom-out; lightly - but also don’t punish you for enthusiasm. I think I like that.

Weight: Ah, ignoring stats for a minute, these feel “medium-heavy” to me - again, not unlike a Yellow. Satisfying to use, but just heavy enough to be a little tiring. I’m not sure how much of that is the spring, and how much of it is angle and tall caps exaggerating the friction effect.

I’ll be trying these with other profiles and other keyboards in the near future, and I’ll let you know if I find anything else interesting!

14 Likes