MT3 Retro -- It's happening, boys and girls!

Damn. I really like that. I never was even exposed to the older keyboard stuff or don’t have real memories of it but that board looks so nice. I don’t like the mod situation so much; kinda wish it lined up on the right, but I love the overall concept.

edit: Is there a keyboard with a small F cluster like that on the right side? I’m interested in that idea…
in gaming, I am accustomed to hugging the left edge of my keyboard as an anchor… =P

1 Like

Last question first; yes but they aren’t super common. The keys are usually 1u and in one or two columns, but the occasional custom will have function keys on the left like that. There’s also a gaming keeb or two that has those, but they’re humongo full-size+ things.

The funky stagger on the right is a reference to the original Commodore 64’s layout:

While I might have opted for a clean edge there, I still think it’s a good compromise between the C64’s actual layout and something use-able in [ current year ]. Pictured above is the “breadbin” version that MT3 Retro and this keyboard are call-backs to. This particular one wasn’t functional, and has since been converted to a USB keyboard.

3 Likes

If I don’t get more than a $20 one, I’m not sure I’m going to be able to support this one. I seem to be in the bad-luck club with the discounts.

1 Like

Told matt3o over on his site he should the Vortex project the C64%. Since it’s design is playing off the OG C64 & it kinda is a 64% layout. Fits the bill nicely IMO, but might hit to close to trademarks.

1 Like

like it

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Heck yes.

1 Like

well if brown runs I would be more than willing to buy an extra set of brown mods to bump up the number :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’d actually be interested if there was a all brown set…might look cool on my current main board the U80 Soya.

2 Likes

Samesies

1 Like

If this goes through, mad props to deadeye and pixelpusher for lighting the fire

2 Likes

Am I correct in assuming this was a knock-off of the SP set?

https://kbdfans.com/products/maxkey-restor-sa-keycaps-set

1 Like

Correct

Started in 2013 with DSA retro, then in 2015 SA Retro with PETSCII side printed legends. Years later, Drop (massdrop then) ran GMK Retro but it didn’t make MOQ. The Maxkey set came out in 2020 if I remember correctly.

Let’s hope 2022 is the year of the MT3 Retro success story.

4 Likes

The One Per Desk Computer phone was brown and red.

4 Likes

With a lime accent even.

2 Likes

Getting there:

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is waiting to “see” the kit. I think they’re waiting to purchase it… lol

3 Likes

I find all their excuses amusing, but then all the requests for typing sound tests and build videos make me think I might be in the minority of folks who are fine with extrapolating based on them saying something like, “the mods will match the alphas in the same shade of brown.”

3 Likes

Agreed. I said as much on the Drop discussion page.

I’m probably the biggest MT3 simp on Keebtalk, but I get concerns about the color matching between kits not made at the same time; I have a set of WoB and have built three keebs for others using the set: they were all slightly different shades of black, some more obvious than others. One was closer to slate.

On the other hand, I’ve seen better QC with Matt3o’s (and Mito’s) sets than with the “basic” ones - so here’s hoping that the mod kit does end up matching as intended!

I’d settle for a “most probably wouldn’t notice” color delta, but I’m hoping for a good match.