MT3 Retro -- It's happening, boys and girls!

they can make them at the same time if they’d put the damn link on the page for purchase. :rofl:

2 Likes

and brown mod didn’t happen.

I still bought the base kit and spacebar kit as planned since brown mods was not a dealbreaker for me.

Oh well, I guess I saved some money this round.

1 Like

It sounds like they’ll be doing it as an add-on kit in a subsequent drop; not sure if that means it will be an option the next time the whole set runs / if-when they keep it in stock, or if it will be it’s own little drop.

It also sounds like the holdup that kept them from being added to this round in time is they want to have renders made in the same style and quality as the main ones; I think some higher-ups are nervous about expectation management if they don’t.

I’m with @pixelpusher in that I’d buy them if they were represented by a napkin doodle, but the decision is probably made by a small board of people.

1 Like

Extras or in-stock seem to be so much more abundant in the past several months that I’m confident we’ll be able to get what we want if it’s ever made.

It’s refreshing to not have to set reminders and timers to play a game of refreshing the browser to snag some plastic bits before everyone else.

3 Likes

For sure, and with any luck, the next go-round will have the brown modifiers.

I am 100% sold on buying in-stock items.

4 Likes

I found these an Aliexpress and now kind of regret ordering MT3 Retro.

These aren’t actually SA - they are a clone of MG profile, which has a deep dish like MT3 but is even more comfortable than MT3.

I have this MG clone set in another color way and can confirm the quality is excellent.

4 Likes

I’ll probably simp for MT3 til the cows come home, but I might have to snag these, too >.>

3 Likes

I’m an MT3 shill and everything, but MG profile is better than MT3. It’s the best hi-pro.

LOUD CONFUSED NOISES!

Seriously though, I’ve been curious about Melgeek’s profile. It’s just that there’s nothing in stock you can get.

@rpiguy9907 uh, can you send a link to said set. Asking for a friend, yeah, that’s it.

1 Like

Your friend can find them on the not at all suspiciously named GMK-Y store on Aliexpress. They have a bunch of really nice MG profile color ways. Here is a link to the Retro set, although it looks like it may have already sold out. Look for AFSA.

These are also carried by several other stores, so there is a factory pumping them out to a bunch of Aliexpress retailers.

3 Likes

The brown one hasn’t been in stock yet as far as I have seen. I have green-dark variant of the mg clone, no texture at all on the surface, just smooth. The deep dish is nice, feels similar to that of my /dev/tty. The mg clones seems to be produced by Aifei

Product manager: Okay ya’ll, we need a name for are SA keycaps without copyright. Who has ideas?

Naming Team: Well, we found a acronym the other day-

Product Manager: Sure! What is it?

Naming Team: It’s AF, and means that-

Product Manager: AFSA. SA as Frick. Good Job!

2 Likes

Kono has a couple MG sets in stock

(MG Fishing and Ember)

1 Like

They’ve still got ‘Salmon’ up for “Pre-order” that buy, as far as I knew, closed a while ago. I wonder what’s up with that?

Yeah, I like MT3 'cause it’s kinda an OEM-size [a bit taller] retro-styled, heavily sculpted and deep-dished set.

MG is even better, though. It’s fully SA-sized, but its sculpting is perfect for most modern boards, and deep-dished like MT3.

I have MG Monster, so I guess that’s genuine [not an ‘MG clone,’ if that’s a thing]. The surface texture is very slick, and it’s pre-shined [minor surface imperfections in the shine under certain lighting angles], but it looks really good under normal usage. Keycaps aren’t quite as over-the-top luxurious as SP SA in material, but it doesn’t matter under normal typing.

Even though the surface texture is glossy [instead of matte], the deep-dishing and sculpting make it really easy to find your footing. And they sound great [a little more hollow and plasticy than MT3, though]. MT3 PBT is still a king of sound.

2 Likes

I like MG all except for the number row. In particular, the backspace feels uncomfortably sculpted to me. But it’s very similar to Hipro in that regard.

2 Likes

If I can get some basic MG sets I can probably negate my need to find Topre Hi-pro keycaps which is great, because I’ve found that all but impossible so far. I’ll just need some MX sliders.

Agree. Fortunately, I usually build Tsangan if I can.

MT3 Retro is cancelled

Drop:

We’re reaching out to let you know that, unfortunately, the recent run for Drop + Matt3o MT3 Retro has been canceled due to not meeting the minimum order quantity needed to produce the product. You can expect to receive your refund in the next 2-7 business days.

4 Likes