New BKE dome alternative from Deskeys

Not lube - dielectric grease. Like Permatex!

When I smack my keycaps I could feel the springs sort of bouncing around from the force. I noticed with my 55g topre that on the return I could sometimes feel it too.

I guess it depends on your board, but it made the overall typing feel a lot more solid for me!

5 Likes

great mod! I’ll be trying this soon myself. hehe.

1 Like

new weight 70g green dropped recently as i went to purchase Tiffanys at 35g. wonder what beefcake fingers i’d need for 70g.

I just want to say that the Des-domes are very nice. I like them way more than the BKE domes that Keyclack carries. I recently got the purple ones (49g) and they are really close to the OG Topre domes. They have a little more tactility compared to 45g and they’re slightly sharper but moving forward, I highly recommend these over the Keyclack Topre domes if you like the rounded Topre typing experience or if you just want to try different weights.

4 Likes

I would absolutely agree with this assessment. I got the pink ones rather than the purple ones but I enjoy them immensely and actually like typing on my novatouch again. I usually swap out what board I’m using at home every few days but the novatouch sat there for a solid few weeks after I put the domes in and I just keep going back to it, they feel soooooo good.

2 Likes

sorta in the spirit of this thread: is there a dedicated Topre Mods thread?

I had a few questions I wanted to ask and thought a dedicated topre mods thread would be useful but I didn’t want to start one if there was one already. A few searches came up empty.

3 Likes

I would be interested in a Topre mods thread :call_me_hand:t3:

7 Likes

I’ll be opening up my fc660c tomorrow so I’ll try to document everything that I run through when modding my topre board. I’ll start the thread when I’m done!

5 Likes

awesome! look forward to it!

Does anyone know what color would feel around the same weighting as HHKB? I have a 104 UG and the stock weighting of the keys is just too light for me.

1 Like

I also really want to know this one, I love my hhkb weight wise but wouldn’t mind if it was slightly more noticeable in the tactility department

1 Like

its up

4 Likes

thanks! I was going to post some questions there. do you think that’s germane to the thread?

yea I would think so!

1 Like

Any chance they offer a “I got burned by JChan” discount?

5 Likes

I put the pinks (42g) in mine, and I love them. I prefer these to the stock 45g. It just feels right to me in the HHKB. However, the purples would be a closer approximation to the weight of stock 45g.

4 Likes

awesome thank you

I got the Tiffany ones, 35g. They are a joy to type on and relaxing. The tactility is there and pleasant.

2 Likes

It would be nice if these were offered in stock Topre or Niz boards. I guess the few people that manufacture them don’t want to undermine those two brands?

Unreal Keyboards said to not use dielectric grease as it will deform stock Topre domes. However, since you have already done so, let us know how your domes fare.