New Zeal Switches?

The left two look like tactile stems. No dampers on the Roselios. Is this right?

A man can dream. Photoshop helps the dreams come to life!

Big booo here too. Still no word on the 3 in 1 switch & OEM keyboard that’s limited for the sake of being limited. I think I might be right with Zeal wanting to take his switches beyond the enthusiast market. I just hope he don’t forget we were the ones who helped put him on the map. I mean congrats to him for probably getting a fat payout from Ducky, but I’d be pretty disappointed if he doesn’t roll of some of that into R&D on the 3 in 1 switches or if that just isn’t gonna come out lowering the prices of his loose switches a little bit.

BTW, I am really beginning to think the 3 in 1 switch has ran into some type of big issue. Most likely production wise cause it was supposed to have that stupid transforming gimmick. Although if a 3 in 1 switch isn’t feasible, but it was using ALPS like tactile & click leaves. Why not salvage the project into having a seperate tactile & clicky switch? The tactile variant would blow any current MX tactile switch out of the water. Then the click variant would give Kaihl clickbar switches a run for their money. Maybe I’m partial cause I love my SKCM/L ALPS switches, but I think a switch that operated like them in a MX compatible housing & pinout would sell like hotcakes.

2 Likes

I don’t know. I’m beginning to think there wasn’t a working prototype, only a concept. Like, I’m thinking the switch shown off was actually 3 switches and they weren’t able to achieve what they wanted.

1 Like

That is a good point, it’s not like we seen anything other than a teaser pic for them & that could’ve been rendered for all we know.

Price is really high. I’d have a hard time recommending to a friend looking for a pre-built. Since you’re nearly in HHKB territory at that point :smiling_imp:

Badseed does mention that this is really just a collector board and he’s of course right.

no he shared a video of the 3, but they were 3 separate switches. We still have no idea how you change them from tactile to clicky to linear.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAhRohmHxRI/

1 Like

That is so cool.

Just watched Badseed’s video on the The Ducky X Zeal board & found out they’re using the worst variant of Zeal switches one these boards. They’re the milky bottom ones since the factory solder runs too hot & wave soldering has the pins in contact with that heat too long for the regular PC bottoms.

2 Likes

Oh now I’m… actually interested in getting those switches. HMMM

1 Like

During the runs of the original V1 Zealios he had a milky bottom 65g Zealio. So if you ask around you might be able to find some of them. I have a few & they are scratchier than regular PC bottom. Basically a milky brown with a bigger bump.

I heard one person suggest maybe twisting the stem but that would be wild

I was thinking that too but I would think the housing would have to be fatter to accommodate three sides having protrusions…

I was thinking a lockable click jacket or something. Like how people used to jail house blues… movable click jacket for clicky, locked click jacket for tactile and linear. Maybe you would flip the jacket for linear vs. tactile.

Clicky would just be a moveable tactile bump…

Here is my crude ass drawing. Clicky, jail house for tactile, back side stem has linear.

You have to lose led.

1 Like

I think I cracked the case, not gonna lie. Think I should patent? @Zeal how close am I?

Novel design is cool but I’m more interested in switches I can enjoy using, not switches I can marvel over.

If Zeal recreated SKCM Orange feel and sound in MX switch form factor, I’ll scream like a fangirl.

3 Likes

It wouldn’t have to involve the stem if it is going to be an ALPS SKCM/L type actuation. As with those switches the slider is smooth on both sides & just serves to push the leaves for actuation &/or click/tactility. So basically you’d need one side to have a permanent actuation leaf, then on the other side you need to have a removable click/tactile leaf just like SKCM ALPS are setup already, but in a MX housing. The literal only difference between click & tactile leaves on SKCM ALPS is the top wings are bent in towards the slider on click leaves & left flat against the housing for the tactile leaves. What happens there is with the top wings bent in towards the slider the top of the leaf can bend away from the housing when the slider is coming down on it then snap back onto the housing after the slider gets over the bump in the leaf to cause a click sound. With the tactile leafs having the wings out flat against the housing, that keeps the top of the leaf from moving & snapping back when the slider passes it creating just a tactile feel. So really you could just provide a tactile leaf with the switches which can have the wings bent in to become clicky, or the leaf completely removed to go linear.

1 Like

Really interesting @Rob27shred! I will have to dig into ALPS switches more. I know of them but not really how they work.

2 Likes

Check out Deskthority’s wiki on them, it explains how they work really well! Even Though they’re known as complicated ALPS it’s kinda funny how simple their mechanism is. They get the complicated moniker because of how many pieces go into the actuation switchplates on them, but that is something you never have to take apart or mess with when dealing with them LOL!
Alps SKCL/SKCM series - Deskthority wiki