NK_ Blueberry

Not sure if it is true, but I was told that fish oil was used in the material composition for the “self lubricating nature” of these switches. Probably got trolled, but if this is true, that would explain the smell. Both my Creams and Blueberries reak of this. Opened my bag of Blueberries and told my wife they smell like fruit and to take a big “sniff” lol. She was not pleased. :wink:

4 Likes

HAHAHAHA, your poor wife! I highly doubt the fish oil thing is true, I believe the smell is known thing with POM/Delrin.

2 Likes

yeah im pretty sure it’s just the plastic

1 Like

Ha! As I’ve said best thing to do with these is throw a dryer sheet into the bag they come in and let them sit for a week. Takes care of the odor and your keeb comes out smelling fresh when its built.

1 Like

I went ahead and lubed with 205g0 and filmed my Blueberries.

Found that the sound and feeling was much more pleasant, by being less scratchy and rattly.

I made a sound test to compare versus stock

2 Likes

So in swapping my TX60 with lubed blueberries in and out of my rotation, it’s certainly not a bad switch. It’s unique and an attempt to do something differently. I don’t think the execution was perfect, but I also don’t think this switch was a completely wasted effort.

It’s kind of like a 4th territory of tactiles. Not quite like the other 3.
I’d definitely consider resoldering my blueberries in a different board to give them another fair shake.

1 Like

Since I had various constituent parts lying around for my Boba housing testing, I figured I’d do one more experiment with these stems (which are not compatible with boba housings, fyi): Blueberry stem in Moyu housing.

Let’s start with the pros:

• It works

The pros-that-may-be-cons:

• Extremely sharp, high (positionally) tactility on the downstroke
  • Very poppy return
  • Leaf is very tactile in Moyu housing, exaggerating the Blueberry stem’s properties

The cons:

• The Moyu housing’s leaf is interesting, in that it imbues some nice tactility… at the cost of some unfortunate leaf ping
  • Incredibly, you will probably never notice that leaf ping in normal use of this frankenswitch, because holy heck this thing has the loudest, sharpest return I have ever heard. This stem is absolutely slamming back into the top housing and you will hear/feel it.

Didn’t really expect anything from this, but was thoroughly surprised at how high-pitched the sound was (much higher than with any other housing I’ve used with these stems OR any stems I’ve put in this housing).

1 Like

Looks like NK is discontinuing these largely unloved bad boys! Moved to the clearance section.

It is a shame because I do like them, they have real personality. But I get why, I’ve never put these on a board that I daily because they tire me out.

2 Likes

Big rip indeed. I’m surprised that people who like light tactiles didn’t get into these as much.

I might grab a last batch of 110 or so before they’re all gone

3 Likes

RIP, they’re in both of my daily drivers.

Gonna grab as many as I can before they’re all gone.

I was tempted by them, but they seem heavier or more tactile over sustained periods than is preferred by people who use light tactiles.

Keep in mind ‘light tactile’ typically refers to Brown-level, something like MX Clear is ‘medium tactile.’

If they tire rpigguy out, that indicates that they are heavier and/or more tactile than Browns. They just seemed to me more elaborate than a light tactile.

1 Like

They felt heavier and more tactile than T1s to me. They may have been tiring because the boards I put them on had brass and steel plates, respectively. Maybe with some give they would be less tiring.

I will say these were the first tactile switches that I preferred fully lubed. Usually I would leave the tactile bump unlubed to preserve tactility, but in the case of the Blueberries you don’t lose much tactility.

2 Likes

That’s actually pretty consistent with what I’ve read. I was being imprecise when I called it a ‘medium’ tactile. Accounts of the switch usually referred to its distinct and impressive tactility.

You and Manofinterests are both right, as far as I can tell. As someone interested in light tactiles, I was very interested in the Blueberry, but it seemed a bit over-the-top from descriptions.

Stuff like being able to clear the substantial tactile barrier without necessarily activating the switch, as in Zilents. [Unless you bottom-out]