Percent Volt

241 Likes, 18 Comments - Percent Studio (@percent.studio) on Instagram: ā€œLet me introduce our new projectļ¼ Percent Volt. This is the first time we have added Bluetooth toā€¦ā€

It looks like an over-engineering Rama project. It has a lot going on. Possibly too much (visually). What do you think?

4 Likes

Definitely looks like a RAMA. I really donā€™t like the top two rows aligned like that in general, but especially on a TKL

3 Likes

agreed, that combined with everything else makes it feel like itā€™s trying to do too many thing at the same time in a very distracting way. It having bluetooth seems pretty nifty though.

4 Likes

I actually like how busy it is in contrast to how simple most designs are. I donā€™t mind the two top rows being aligned like that only because itā€™s the F-key and number row.

Donā€™t care much for bluetooth but if itā€™s got solid battery life then itā€™s a plus.

3 Likes

I actually do like how it looks as well. The compactness of it. I donā€™t see this on their website, are they planning a GB on this?

2 Likes

It was on their Instagram page to drum up interest. Will most likely be a GB after they see what people are wanting from it.

Personally, I like the design, and I find it a little more appealing than the U-80, and Iā€™m normally a massive RAMA hype man. Plus the Bluetooth is really nice.

1 Like

1Untitled

Same here. Bluetooth would be really useful in my use case scenario of having 3 computers on my desk.
This colour scheme is pretty dope.

3 Likes

I think that once this design would not have passed but it would have been criticized more or less rightly, precisely because it was too inspired, but I see that only with certain people there are controversy. However I prefer U-80

KMK Labs.

1 Like

Now that MT3 Serika is in IC I might have to pick this up. It does look a little busy and really pushing the boundaries of what Iā€™m comfortable with but Iā€™m willing to give this a try.

Having that F row right up against the number row is a nice choice IMO. I prefer compact layouts with minimal wasted space.

Iā€™m not sure about that groove that goes all the way around the top. Looks like it would probably collect a lot of cheeto dust. It is aesthetically pleasing though.

Does it really need so much space dedicated to logos? Seems like overkill.

1 Like

Itā€™s like the gold trimmed white Caddy Deville in the 80ā€™s. I like it! :grin:

Well itā€™s all about preference but I must admit I really like that ā€œheavyā€ look it has. Would go super nice with GMK Heavy Industry imo!

And this feels / looks like a really good quality keyboard too.

I am really liking it.

4 Likes

I respect Percentā€™s attempt to try new things. I think with some slight editing this could be a winner.

2 Likes

Just found this keyboard, thought it looked nice.
However, whatā€™s up with WKL keyboards? Itā€™s as if people decided they no longer liked having a useful or ergonomic modifier row.

2 Likes

First of all, letā€™s be fair here - no part of a TKL is ergonomic. Second, itā€™s an aesthetic choice - the same way that HHKB blockers are all the rage on 60% boards and arrow key blockers on 65/70%.

1 Like

Sure, Iā€™d agree that TLKs arenā€™t ergonomic, but at least the HHKB layout makes the argument for moving Ctrl over to where Caps Lock usually sits, so you still have your Alt/Windows or Alt/Command. I would be more understanding of WKL if the Ctrl sat adjacent to the Alt key.

I think @Lesbianā€™s latter point is the most defining one. itā€™s a completely aesthetic choice. I for one do not know anyone who uses the windows key, I seldom use it as well.
I use the ctrl key a lot and the transition to hhkb layout has been difficult and find myself hitting the empty corner.

The hhkb is also missing a lot of keys that you would expect to find in a keyboard so I understand that having more keys on bottom row that trigger different layers is a must, but not so much in TKLs

I understand, and thereā€™s no argument I or anyone can really present against personal aesthetic preferences. I suppose the utilitarian argument for keeping all three modifier keys is more compelling for Mac users such as myself. Itā€™s true, I barely use the windows key when using Windows, but itā€™s in constant use as the alt key when I use my Mac.

You can remap the modifier keys in macos, or just program them differently, I have to use a mac for work, Iā€™ve moved command to where caps lock usually is and alt to the key left of the spacebar, works fine with WKL boards. As far as the windows key goes, I usually put it on the key to the right of the spacebar on WKL boards as I never use the mods to the right of the spacebar or the windows key.