Polishing ABS Keycaps

Back in 2015, Ripster put out an imgur album detailing his sandblasting of keycaps to show people

https://imgur.com/a/3xreN

Would recommend opening up and going through the full album :+1:

4 Likes

Oof, you did better than SP SA !

1 Like

Too bad this guy is not active anymore …

I have shined my keycaps two ways. The first was using Novus plastic polish. I used some hard buffing tools attached to a cordless drill from a harbor freight aluminum polish kit I had already. Loaded them up with the Novus and went to town. It took about a minute per keycap but they turned out well.

I have also tried acetone vapor and it IS easy but also easier to ruin your keycaps. I poured a little acetone vapor in a aluminum soup can and held a few caps in by the stem using the little tool we use to lube switch stems. It was a hot day and the acetone was very warm - it took about one second and the keycap was a high piano black gloss. At about three seconds the plastic itself started to run. If you touch them before they are fully rehardened you leave a fingerprint permanently in the plastic. I only ruined one but I stopped the attempt at that point. I might try again another time with caps laid out in a tub and let vapor in. Seems like it might be easier to control.

2 Likes