Post Your Computer

3080 reviews coming in.

2x performance increase over 2080 was bogus as expected. But overall performance increase seems solid across the board for >1440p use. Thermals look reasonable (not ideal for sandwhich style SFF…), fan noise is similar (?) vs 2080/2080TI FE.

Taken from the r/SFF sub thread:

Bitwit’s RTX 3080 Benchmark

Gamers Nexus RTX 3080 FE Review

Nzxt H1 RTX 3080 thermal test

JayTwoCent’s RTX 3080 Benchmarks

DaveLee’s RTX 3080 Review

Hardware Unboxed RTX 3080 Review - Should you upgrade now?

Hardware Canucks RTX 3080 Review

Linus Tech Tip’s RTX 3080 Review

Engadget’s RTX 3080 Review

IGN’s RTX 3080 Review

KitGuruTech’s RTX 3080 Review

Digital Foundry’s RTX 3080 Review

Paul’s Hardware’s RTX 3080 Review

5 Likes

Unless Cyberpunk 2077’s ray tracking implementation is over the top, I’ll probably be sticking with my 1080Ti.

1 Like

I’m excited to hear your findings. I won’t be upgrading immediately but it would be nice to know that it works or not!

No upgrading for me; still happy with my 8700k & 2060 :slight_smile:

But also Cyberpunk 2077 in 1080p on med or low settings probably too :man_shrugging:

Didn’t end up nabbing one. I’m guessing it sold old almost immediately. Ah well, may as well wait for the big Navi announcement while things get restocked.

They really need a way to combat bots snatching up all of the products, when they are released or have more stock on hand…

Yes. I never saw a buy button. Went straight from “notify me” to “out of stock”.

Am I the only one that has little to no interest in cyberpunk? I love the genre and that sort of stuff, but the game just looks so uninteresting to me, and it has so much hype that there is no way it can possibly live up to. I also probably am biased because I found the witcher boring af.

I’m like kinda interesting in a 3070, my vega 64 doesn’t do a great job pushing my 1440 ultrawide but I’m pretty happy to wait a while I think, maybe another gen or if there’s good sales in like six months or a year.

2 Likes

Nah, I’m also not particularly excited about it (Keanu Reeves seems the most exciting thing about it to me) but I am also kinda just generally not into their past work (The Witcher) and on a more personal note I’m… let’s say skeptical about how well they’re ultimately going to be handling, uh, trans stuff considering it seems like they’ve bumbled communication around that quite a bit so far.

Mostly just don’t wanna bum folks out since I know a lot of people are excited about it. Just doesn’t seem like it’s for me (which is fine).

1 Like

I don’t know much about the actual gameplay. I saw the first teaser but haven’t kept up with it (and I’m “a gamer”). I think I’m just getting old and set in my ways.

could you elaborate more or link to something regarding the trans stuff? I haven’t heard about this and was kind of excited for the game, would hate to support bigots tho :confused:

I think it is a normal behaviour with RPG games.
If you are not completely in line with the proposed universe it is difficult to be fully immerged and attracted to it. That does not mean that the game is bad, just that it is not for you.
Like you I never be attracted by the Witcher, does not mean that it is bad.
But Deus Ex Human revolution, damn I loved this game…

I don’t know, but my guess is that it has to do with that the developers are polish(at least the Witcher dev are) And it’s a very catholic country that is very anti-gay in it’s political agenda.

Edit : just skimmed through the posts below and what I get is that my statement wasn’t it… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I wouldn’t really characterize anything I’ve seen as bigoted! It’s moreso “I think they mean well but could do better if they worked with advocacy groups to dial it in”—same thing I’d recommend for folks trying to add meaningful representation of, say, disability or anything else that doesn’t come from their personal experience. Just some slightly off stuff that they could totally pull through on with a bit of help imo, combined with a broad lack of that sort of approach being implemented in the industry at large making me skeptical about whether or not they’ll do it.

2 Likes

I have to admit, I will be looking very closely at either a RTX 3090, 3080 (20GB) or 3070 (16GB) for rendering purposes…

Even a 3070 has 1.35x the CUDA cores of a 2080 Ti (not that I have one…) and 2.41x for the 3090. :open_mouth:

1 Like

After playing Shadowrun, with my wife and a group of her friends, I can’t wait to see how Cyberpunk 2077 turns out. I’m fully expecting any thing, that can be sexualized, to be sexualized / over sexualized, as it the world of Cyberpunk after all and the big corps know, that sex sells. The controversial trans MIX IT UP ad, has been the back ground on my phone, sense it was released. Prior to that, it was a Anne Taintor birthday card, that said, Has any one seen my hormones? :slight_smile:

How have they bumbled the communication, if you don’t mind my asking?

Note: I’ve never really played the Witcher games, because I’m not a fan of 3rd person games, because their camera systems tend to leave me feeling nauseated. That being said, I did really enjoy the first Witcher season on NetFlix.

1 Like

Yeah I didn’t really mind the MIX IT UP thing—in context I think it’s totally fine and fitting for the genre/setting—the two things I really recall were a thing where they communicated (or had a demo where? I can’t remember now) your choice of voice register was what indicated which pronouns folks would use to refer to you (which is… a bit frustrating), and a lot of waffling around non-binary stuff (which I understand to be pretty linguistically difficult in Polish).

But us trans folks are about as far from a monoculture as can be, I think; what works for some folks doesn’t work for others, and just because that stuff doesn’t necessarily work for me doesn’t mean it’s wrong or bad.

(Also only having two voice options in the character creator seems fully buck wild to me coming from fond memories of playing Saint’s Row 3/4, but that’s a digression)

Actually if anybody wants to read a little bit about the thing I said about the Polish language, and non-binary pronoun usage generally being difficult in several languages, I cannot possibly recommend this post from the Outer Wilds dev log enough, although it’s probably worth warning that there are perhaps some minor spoilers in there if you haven’t played it (which I fully recommend that you do if you like Myst at all). A short summary: it’s tough!

1 Like

That’s totaly frustrating, but it is realistic. I deal with it every time I have to place calls, to our vendor’s support lines.

I still find my self waffling around that topic, so I can’t really blame them. I would say that hiring a couple consultants would be advisable, but the non binary people, that I’ve met, have all had their own opinions of what it is to be non binary and are pretty dead set in their opinion.

100% agree with that statement. I only belong to 1 trans group these days, because they strive for civil discourse and all of the people that can’t have a conversation with out trying to incite a riot, are asked to leave and eventually banned, if they keep being inflammatory… The trans community its self, can be pretty toxic, if you don’t agree with a particular group’s way of thinking. I wish more people could just accept that were all different and we don’t all come from the same mold, as well as the fact, that we are all individually shaped by the life that we have lived.

Interesting. I’m guessing they probably only hired two voice actors for the characters, which makes logistical and narrative sense. A slider for pitch would have been nice, but I can see that causing audio issues, from my time playing around with auto tune / real pitch filters.

Interesting, I’ll have to give that a read, when I get a chance.

1 Like

Yeah hilariously I just get a lot of fun thrash between calls, video calls, in-person stuff. The one thing I can always guarantee is that I’ll get shuffled between at least two TSA agents every time I go through airport security (which, at the very least, is less frustrating than what my middle eastern friends have to go through).

Yeah I think it’s fair to say that a lot of folks have calcified and sharpened in their views more than they otherwise would have if they weren’t struggling against systems where their rights aren’t recognized and their identities don’t have a kind of baseline acceptance or recognition that they feel they need. I’m fortunate enough to live in a place where some decent headway has been made in those regards, but obviously some folks are not. I don’t think there’s an easy or good solution to any of it, but having nothing in place isn’t great either.

Yeah, I wouldn’t say it’s a bad choice it’s just kind of a funny one for me in that it’s a way where a nearly-decade-old character creator managed to pull off a broader set of voice options (I think Saint’s Row 3 had three “male” options and three “female” options, and 4 had the same but also a “It’s Nolan North” joke option). Obviously I can’t compare the size of the scripts for either, though I’m nearly certain Cyberpunk will have a dramatically larger and more character-heavy script which complicates that a lot. Agree that pitch-bending would have been a nice but very technically difficult solution.

1 Like

What does fun thrash mean?

The last time I went through a TSA screening, I told them that I was trans (always do), but for got to take my belt off, so I got pulled aside even though my nether regions passed the scan. I honestly feel it’s more awkward for them. They usually give me the song and dance of do you want a woman or a man to pat you down, and I just tell them it makes no difference to me and to have who ever is most comfortable with patting me down do it. lol

The more I think about it, the more I think it’s a narrative / controlling the story decision, based on my understanding of their past games.

1 Like