My Siemens TG3 arrived yesterday. I will need to convert it, and with such a roomy case and (per some very old GH stuff) a very weird set of keycodes, I don’t see any reason not to do so internally. To that end, I took it apart almost immediately, though not before my wife grabbed a pic of the “meth” keycap
.
This is an interesting board. I know TG3 has made some police boards, horse-racing boards, and other niche industrial stuff, but I’m not deeply familiar with their output. This one seems to hit an exact middle point of industrial build quality and value engineering. It’s from 2010, a top-mount with an aluminum (or at least non-magnetic) plate, Cherry MX Black (with Gray on stabilized keys), and dye-sub PBT in SP DCS; you can even see the signature (forgive the pun) “pucker” mounting stems.
The bottom plate is also the same aluminum (for lack of a more certain term… if only I had the rest of the chemical analyzer!), and attaches to completely different posts than the keyboard assembly. The case is possibly not ABS? It feels like it might be more PVC-ish like a Model M. The PCB is, unfortunately, not NKRO, definitely lacking per-key diodes, but we’ll (eventually) see if the matrix is problematic in any way for typing or gaming; I do presume neither company ever expected anyone to be sitting down for a long session of composing text on one of them. The whole thing is fairly light, especially given the old-school looks, so I will almost certainly throw some self-adhesive wheel weights onto the bottom plate before I close it up for good.
One interesting thing is there is a five-pin edge connector on the PCB, and it’s wired to something, but I can’t visually tell what and the case has no cut out for it or even mold markers indicating earlier models might have. I wonder if it was a way to do factory testing before final assembly? My particular board is a bit dirty, but is generally in very good shape, no doubt helped by the fact that the thing is 10-20 years newer than its design might imply. The plate mount stabs are pretty rattly, but it’s only a very noticeable issue on the spacebar, and some lube should help.
Speaking of the 7u spacebar, yeah, it’s on 55mm centers instead of the usual 57, which is just far enough to make any stab-side mods impractical. I understand these spacebars pop up in SP grab bags from time-to time or on some older Taiwanese boards with Cherry sliders, and I’d love to give somebody a coffee money and shipping if they have one lying around. It needs a removable PS/2 cable, which I don’t have, but since I’ll be converting anyway, I don’t intend to get one now. Besides, with the entire board coming in at $33 after shipping and sales tax, that would be a non-trivial percentage of the entire purchase, LOL!
Overall, it would be a decently fair deal just for the switches and caps, which could kit out an HHKB or Q1/Rainy 75 style board with very few compromises (apart from sourcing a suitable spacebar), as the page-up and page down caps occupy the same rows as the numpad + key. If all else fails, there’s also value in the plate and case, since (for me at least) there’s always the possibility of a full lobotomy and conversion to hand-wired.