Project URSA

If I understand correctly, this refers to what I describe in the terminology section as high heels, right? If so, I have it setup as an option, as I haven’t paid close attention to it. But I do see the gaps you mention depending on the case and the depth of the plate.

Currently, the system can extrude the bottom edge down if wanted, the depth is adjustable. But I haven’t had much time to experiment with it.

Thank you pointing this out — it’s on my list to explore.

4 Likes

One last post for the night. From what I can find, these are the first photos from print made back in June 2021. Back then I was still experimenting with cylindrical vs. spherical and a mix of both. Hence, the Cx and Sx legends. I don’t recall the Px :smiley:

Edit: a lot has changed since then.

9 Likes

This is a really exciting project - I hope to be typing on it someday in the not too distant future.

I do see some similarities between this and matt3o’s new profile, but I see plenty of distinctions, too. I think there’s room for at least two more thoughtfully-designed spherical profiles in the custom keeb space.

2 Likes

This is amazing work @Andreas! Also beautiful documentation :heart_eyes:.

2 Likes

Liking rounded edges.

2 Likes

Good Morning. The question of an URSA Minor has come up :smiley:

Yes, the project started out as a low keycap profile. I initially struggled with the front and side profiles, so I raised the height to please my aesthetics and ended up with a high profile.

Since then, I’ve learned a lot and came back to the lower profile. So here’s a snapshot of the two siblings. I’ll update the documentation on the weekend to reflect URSA Minor.

13 Likes

Yeah, I like URSA Minor more than URSA Major. But pls use deeper dish on SDF and JKL. They’ll feel great and eliminate the need to add notches to F and J. Deep-dishing just F and J is not effective enough.

5 Likes

Noted :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement.

You seem to have an eye for the attention to details that separate the two profiles.

1 Like

Nice, please could you make sure that they are compatible with Kailh Choc V2 low profile switches?

For instance SP SA works fine with these switches while other sets may have problems with one row or so. They are to tight on the inside and kind of hits the switch housing when pressed.

I’m trying to lower the front of the keyboards and using a low profile switch shaves off a few precious mm.

2 Likes

Really dig the minor.

I think I have a handful of v2 Reds lying around. I’ll check, when I get home.

1 Like

Have you ever encountered interference issues with deep dish? I stopped using my DSS deep dish homing keys because I was getting a distinctly different sound (indicative of some sort of interference).

Unfortunately, I don’t remember which switches, but it might have been on an R2 RGB (Topre) or Bobagums.

Otherwise, totally a fan of deeper dish homing keys :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thankfully nope. I dislike DSS bc they’re thin and expensive.

1 Like

I see. DSS does seem to be pretty hit-or-miss. I’m in the like ‘em camp.

Andreas, since DSS and URSA looks to be similar heights, deep dish interference testing might be a good idea, at least on popular switches—only if you haven’t already of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

good :face_with_monocle:

Candy in sunshine :smiley:

More to come…

10 Likes

Dope colors

so when can I get my grubby hands on em?

3 Likes

Have a sunny sunday everybody :heart:

10 Likes