Project URSA

I dont mind high profile, i’m loving MT3 but wow, i could totally get behind your URSA Minor!
Looks great, love it!

Do you have any prototypes with sharper edges? I know rounded edges are probably better for comfort but the scoop should get people relatively centered anyway (at least i havent had a problem with MT3 yet) and sharper could change the aesthetics and make them look sharper (literally and figuratively).

Thank you very much @bimbaboo

I’m aware that in the images above, the top edge seems rather soft. This is mostly due to light scattering in the resin used and the print not being finished/post processed. Both of these issues I still work on. The white keys in the 65% images above still scatter light quite a lot, which results in a visual softer shape.

Nevertheless, the top edge fillet actually was the latest change I made to the profile, since it felt a bit too sharp :smiley:

Here you can see a finished/post processed escape key. It still has a lot of light bleeding, but I think the edge defines itself nicely with the highlight. So the edge isn’t that far off from the beloved MT3.

A quick comparison of different amounts of dye used. The curves and edges are clearly more defined on the left key. The key on the right is from the 65% board above, so progress :smiley: I’m still testing how much dye I can add to make it even more opaque.

Thank you all for your continued support and interest.

Have a great one.
Andreas

6 Likes

The edge and smaller top area was why I didn’t get MT3.

Hey @donpark
can you say in what way the edge didn’t work for you?

Although it looks amazing, for actual typing feel I also dislike the MT3’s combination of very small top, sharp edges & extreme sculpt.
Unless I hit the key dead center (which the sculpt makes difficult), I feel none of the scooping - all I feel is the sharp edges knifing my fingertips.

1 Like

What @ms264556 wrote matches my experience. How a keyset feels in-use is what I care about the most and MT3 is not that. For single board users, users with all MT3 boards, and boards that sits in display shelf to look at, MT3 is just fine. And I’m pretty sure I could get used to MT3 profile eventually but, like keymap layout, having multiple variations among many boards used in rotation make that difficult.

Ursa is looking amazing.

As a side thing I do kind of like the idea of some thicc caps that scatter and diffuse light as much as possible, having that soft porcelain night-light look without actually having to go through a kiln. (Those are cool, too)

1 Like

That does look great, with just some dye that totally changes the definition of those edges. Love the texture you have on the top surface too - hope you keep that kind of texture for the production molds.

I understand how some people might not like the aggressive nature of MT3, but i do like the defined edges and deep scoops. If i didnt then i would’ve got SA Profile or even ASA. But i think those profile look too flat and the top surface area too large - throws off the aesthetics.

I switch regularly between MT3 and Cherry (i have 2 almost identical Rama U80’s that i change between every day, one with linear and cherry and the other with tactile and MT3) and can’t say i’ve had issues transitioning. I dont tend to hit the edges and as long as i’m close, i feel like my fingertips get drawn/guided into the scoop anyway.

For me, i love the scoop and strong edges. I like that URSA Minor is low profile but still looks like a great keycap (side profile, scoop and edges) with perhaps even better font than MT3 doubleshot molds.

Thank you all for contributing to the discussion, I truly appreciated it.

@donpark I can somewhat relate to your comment about MT3 and its edges. My experience had been similar. Though as I know now, there are differences in shape depending on the manufacturing process. My initial MT3 /dev/tty blank set is PBT, which has more pronounced dishes than the double shot ABS sets. I have recently received a 60% set of Suswatari, and they feel very different from /dev/tty, at least to me. I also talked to Matt3o about this observation, and he confirmed the differences of the molds.

That being said, my experience with URSA Major is always smooth, regardless of the top edge fillet radius. Having tweaked the profile extensively, I attribute this to the balance of row angles and touch area size and position relative to each other.

Also, noteworthy is the fact that each row in URSA is unique in angle, a luxury that most manufacturer won’t allow one to have. AFAIK, MT3 row 2 and 3 are the same, a compromise which some of us struggle with.

A noticeable visual and haptic difference of the MT3 scoop.

I cannot leave this comment without say what a great fellow Matt3o is. He’s constantly offering his help and insights. And his achievement with MT3, as stated in the design documents, is the inspiration to my project.

5 Likes

Thank you soo much.

I think I’ve got some old super translucent prints from my Planck 64 project. They are polished to a shine, you might like the look of it. I’ll post some photo later tonight.

1 Like

Thank you — it makes me very happy to see the project finds appeal within the community.

1 Like

I much prefer the look and i think i would prefer the feel of a nice soft “edge” rather than an MT3 type edge.

In the past few days, I’ve reorganized the project and decided to set up a render scene to help me visualize colors ways to better select for more prototype printing.

I’m curious which you prefer. Please feel free to comment.
Thank you and have a great weekend.

12 Likes

I really like Gray Fox and Morning Coffee mostly because of the contrast between alphas and mods.

Additionally though i really love how the entire bottom row is convex. I feel like it adds just that little bit of extra je ne sais quoi.

1 Like

CTRL Room for me - then again, i’ve never been a fan of huge contrasts between alphas and mods.

2 Likes

Control Room is speaking to me.

These look awesome! The renders do help visualize the shapes with more final-product finishes. Very cool.

1 Like

Gray Fox and Twilight really look sharp, but I’d have a hard time picking.

1 Like

Gray Fox and Morning Coffee for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another vote for Grey Fox & Morning Coffee.

1 Like

Ctrl Room and Morning Coffee are my favorites, but these all look great. Love the color of the alphas on Twilight.

@Andreas, are you planning to produce these in ABS or PBT? My vote for that is PBT :slight_smile:

1 Like