Rama Kara Pre Order Link Live

What I will say is that yes it’s a piece of plastic, however I’d like to believe there was quite a bit of thought put into the design of it. At the end of the day do you really want to change the back plate? I don’t :slightly_smiling_face:

I had the crazy idea of getting an extra plate, mute mount, and pcb so I could have another set of switches and caps ready to just swap in (without having to pull caps and switches). But when I priced it out, I was most of the way to a full kit!

Is anyone else worried about a PC plate with hot swap? Those two things don’t seem to go together. It would be nice to have the option of a soldered PCB.

1 Like

I dunno as far as I’m concerned hot swap is just there to make it easier to assemble and for that it’s probably fine

My gut says that the MUTE mounting system probably already makes the PC plate lose a fair bit of its flex in the first place, so idk that there’s really anything to worry about in terms of switches popping out of the plate.

EDIT: I guess the Mist plate is aluminum, if you’re really worried about things.

1 Like

What do you guys think? For me (no one asked), I think its exciting to finally be able to afford a Rama to get a taste of its mute mounting.

If anything else is stopping, its the question of adding on internal dampener or weight? Anyone else with the same question on their mind?

Passing the backplate because of its price (almost the cost of dampener), although its nice to mix & match.

I’m going to go without the official inserts. If I don’t like the sound, I’ll probably just cut some sorbothane and stuff that in the case. Not as pretty or elegant, but it goes in all of my other builds.

1 Like

I went for a dampener for the clear one because you might be able to see aforementioned foam, whereas that’s what I’ll do for the soya one, just stuff it with whatever I can

1 Like

From anywhere and everywhere I’ve asked, it feels like I’m the only one interested in the Noct version lol. It’d be perfect with ink switches!

Anyone getting the internal weight?

1 Like

I have so many heavy boards I was thinking it might be refreshing to have a light one, like the hhkb or something

1 Like

I was very close to swapping the soya I had with a noct, but I already had a transparent version coming with Haze. Was very tempted by noct.

I think I will order a weight for mine a little later since it says they expect those to ship later than Kara so if you order them together your Kara will be delayed.

Does anyone have a good sense of which color would match well with MT3 Extended 2048? I’m worried that Soya might clash. But maybe it’ll look like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/golg4s/modern_m0110_with_extended_2048/

1 Like

I’d say you are right that Soya will clash.
Based on that every other color will look really good with that set.

1 Like

I’m thinking about getting Haze. I think it would like nice with the GMK Black Lotus I also ordered.

Thanks for the keyboard simulator link!

How about the alu plate? What kind of acoustic signature would an PC plate on ABS case produce? What switches to plan for?

This hobby is killing my sleep lol

To follow up that question I wonder if there is a typing test available for the Kara. Not sure if Rama historically does that…

Similar thoughts - so far the closest variation I found would be a typing test of the M65B - RAMA WORKS® M65-B Assembly / Typing - YouTube

But no matter what, Kara is using an ABS case and we really need a demo of it.

I think I heard apiary might be doing a Kara build before the preorder ends.

1 Like