Rama kara

Yeah it’s disappointing. I ended up just sliding a piece of folded paper in between the gaps at the bottom. This set my mind at ease a bit. It sucks knowing it’s not PERFECT but I think in time I’ll forget about it now that the creaking is gone.

I think a more permanent solution would be to use some kind of thin foam tape, which would double as some sound dampening. Another idea is using some kind of liquid silicone to pad the edges a bit. I’m curious to see if the community comes up with something.

I think when you spend a lot on a new keyboard, you have high standards and can become over analytical. When stuff like this doesn’t meet those expectations, it sucks at first, but eventually you adjust and take it for what it is - a typing tool.

Try squeezing some folded paper in those gaps, then cutting to size. I already feel a lot better about mine.

Is your backplate “wavy” if you look at it from the side?

1 Like

No, backplate seems to be straight, luckily.

Btw, I have opened the case once again and sticked a but of adhesive tape around the perimeter of the case. And the creak has almost gone.

What a shame you need to jury-rig a keyboard from a so called premium brand, even if it is a lower tier plastic product.

Rama just announced sequence 2 of the Kara.

Wasn’t going to get one after the middling reviews of sequence 1, but damn these colors are tempting.

1 Like

Finally it’s Kara time for me too.

7 Likes

What do you mean? At least from the newsletter that I received, all the options are available to order. (I’m also replying seven hours after your post, so the world may have changed since then.)

1 Like

Thanks for making me look again. I am very sensitive to color and the color of the boards on the product purchase page look considerably different to me than in the announcement marketing, but it is possible that the lighting was just much more dramatic in the photos taken for the marketing e-mails. I’ve edited my post.

1 Like

All good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yo! Happy to see that you have received yours too! :smiley:

1 Like

By the way, what colours you guys think are the nicest in Seq 2 for you?

I am thinking Tang and Milk!

2 Likes

I have exactly the same issues. I am not sure if I am spoiled by my other boards but the KARA feels just… cheap!?

It is a nice-looking board not gonna lie, especially because I am a fan of the hhkb layout, but the overall feel of the board is not really satisfying.

The not aligning bottom screws and the squeaking when touching the case are annoying.

1 Like

Maybe y’all got lemons? Built mine yesterday (last batch to ship out, I believe), and it’s solid. No squeaking, no issues with the build. Might be worth reaching out to support, as Gavin said.

2 Likes

:thinking: I’m surprised I’m not seeing more Kara pics in this thread yet.

I wanna see them goods! What color/keyset combos y’all got going on :smiley:

2 Likes

You’re right. Currently using Susuwatari. Thinking of using GMK Sixes next year when that gets to me lol. Was thinking of GMK Noire for a dark keycap set but I didn’t join that GB unfortunately.

I also experienced no issues with the build or the board.

It feels great with the internal weight =D
Using some frankenswitches currently:
U4T Stems + Cherry Brown Housing + TX Long springs 62g.

6 Likes

Looking great! How are you liking MT3 and Susuwatari’s ABS-ness? I regret not getting in on that set

MT3 ABS is great. This keyset is probably my most heavily used now. It was back in the box for a bit but brought it out for this keyboard. I think it has just the right amount of catch with its curves.

I posted pics to Post Your Keyboards, but here’s one for the thread :v:t3:

(Stock Bobagums + After-school)

7 Likes

10 Likes

nice retro vibes!

1 Like

I just built my Kara in Soya. I have to say I really enjoyed putting this kit together. It was a process unlike any other board I’ve built so it was a nice experience. That being said, the rather thick instructional manual was pretty useless and in no way helpful in offering a meaningful understanding of how everything came together - referred to kara build videos on youtube for this.

Installed the internal dampener on mine and noted issues with bulging others here had that they attributed to the JST connector cable location so I used some clear scotch tape to guide the cable from the daughterboard along a shoulder on the dampener to then connect to the PCB and that did the trick.

No creaking (yet) from anywhere on the board. One thing that I will probably attempt to remedy soon is the light bleed from the sides of the housing itself during the rare occasions that I use RGB. Of course it’s desired for the transparent color variations, but looks odd on the ones that were intended to be opaque. I think some masking tape here will work just fine. Overall, pretty happy with the purchase.

2 Likes

Here is my Soya with EPBT Cool Kids

7 Likes