Show me your favorite QMK hacks!

What would be the best way to toggle enable/disable of a single key?

I want to disable the GUI key while I play video games. I know I could add a persistent layer with the same default layer mapping and just reassign the GUI key to KC_NO, but I was wondering if there was a better way.

@Ibexlord Yeah, should, I think. layer_on(x) and layer_off(x) are the functions for that.

@mmgreenmms That depends. For the GUI, there are actually some keycodes to do that already.
MAGIC_NO_GUI and MAGIC_UNNO_GUI will disable and enable the GUI button, respectively. Which may be easier than another layer.

1 Like

I joined the GB for the Chicory40… this thread will be more useful than ever :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not much of a hack but the Hyper mod is excellent for making your own shortcuts, especially when you have lots of nesting of apps and you don’t want to have to avoid conflicting bindings (like vim inside a tmux session inside a terminal).

3 Likes

Great idea! I am starting with tinkering with qmk keymaps/macros for my massdrop/InputClub infinity keyboard. Could you give me pointers on what you did to make the macro to make the ALT keys work as desktop switching shortcuts.

After playing with my qmk keymap with limited success, I found the same info here

2 Likes

I loved the @dc_in_sf idea, and set out to implement it in process_record_user. The following changes in keymap.c work for me - YMMV.

Define a couple new keycodes and create a couple of timers for tap detection:

// Key must be released within this many milliseconds to be considered a tap
#define TAPPING_TERM 200

// Timers for tap detection in process_record_user
uint16_t lalt_timer;
uint16_t ralt_timer;

// create some custom keycodes for your keymap
enum custom_keycodes {
  PREV_DESKTOP = SAFE_RANGE,
  NEXT_DESKTOP
};

// define some useful send strings
#define SS_PREV_DESKTOP SS_LCTRL(SS_LGUI(SS_TAP(X_LEFT)))
#define SS_NEXT_DESKTOP SS_LCTRL(SS_LGUI(SS_TAP(X_RIGHT)))

In keymaps, change the LALT and RALT keys to invoke the new keycodes, like so:

KC_LCTL, KC_LGUI, PREV_DESKTOP, KC_SPC, NEXT_DESKTOP, KC_RGUI, MO(_FL), KC_RCTL, KC_LEFT, KC_DOWN, KC_RGHT \

And finally, in process_record_user(), handle events for the alt keys. The timers tell us when a key was released quickly enough to be considered a tap, so that we can invoke the desktop switching keystroke sequence.

bool process_record_user(uint16_t keycode, keyrecord_t *record) {

switch(keycode) {
  case PREV_DESKTOP:
    if (record->event.pressed) {
      // Activate LALT
      lalt_timer = timer_read();
      SEND_STRING(SS_DOWN(X_LALT));
    } else {
      // Deactivate LALT
      SEND_STRING(SS_UP(X_LALT));
      // If the action was a tap
      if (timer_elapsed(lalt_timer) < TAPPING_TERM) {
	    SEND_STRING(SS_PREV_DESKTOP);
      }
    }
    return false;

case NEXT_DESKTOP:
    if (record->event.pressed) {
      // Activate RALT
      ralt_timer = timer_read();
      SEND_STRING(SS_DOWN(X_RALT));
    } else {
      // Deactivate RALT
      SEND_STRING(SS_UP(X_RALT));
      // If the action was a tap
      if (timer_elapsed(ralt_timer) < TAPPING_TERM) {
	    SEND_STRING(SS_NEXT_DESKTOP);
      }
    }
    return false;
  }
  return true;
}
4 Likes

I figured you probably needed to wire your own timers to make this work, thanks for the code sample, when my current work craziness dies down going to take a look at stealing this and merging into my user space stuff to simplify all my keymaps :smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I’ll try this one too. The other link I had given in my previous post worked too, I did notice the qmk docs seemed to indicate that the process_record_user was the new way of doing stuff and the earlier method (which was carry over code from TMK) might get deprecated.

1 Like

Right…had it not been for the word “deprecated”, I would have just grabbed everything from that link too. On the other hand, that’s what forced me to dive into the QMK code, which I had been putting off for a while. Excited now about exploring QMK further…

2 Likes

So got this working in my user space, which I am very happy about as it means I can clean up a lot of the code in my keymap.c files.

Quick question though, as I understand it you are sending a press/release of alt even if a hold is detected. This works for alt since a press/release is fairly innocuous but does mean that the technique can’t easily be extended to other key combos.

Ideally the hold key would only activate after the tapping timeout, but I don’t think process_record_user gets called if there isn’t a keyboard event, so I can’t do the calculation inside of there. Would this be something that needs to be implemented in matrix_scan_user?

Glad that at least it worked for the ALT case!

I believe you’re correct - process_record_user won’t get called unless there is a keyboard event, so if you want the hold key to activate when TAPPING_TERM is reached, that would have to be done elsewhere.

I haven’t done anything with matrix_scan_user yet, but the warning here about the matrix_scan functions suggests reaching out to the QMK guys might be a good idea.

Well, most of that code in that link could be directly ported over to the process_record_user function, with very little work.

As for the matrix_scan_user code, that warning is a bit … draconic. It’s safe to use, as long as you’re “doing it right”.
If you want, ping me, PM me, or hit me up on discord and let me take a look at the code.

Also, I run “a lot” in my matrix_scan code, … so… yeah. :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey, quick question: is it possible to program standard mac functions into a board using QMK?

Not quite sure what you mean, but you can use macros to program things like “command” + “c” to a single key and have a key execute copy.

You could program mac screenshot to a key. You could even code a screen shot of the whole screen to a single press, and a partial screen shot on a double press.

You can definitely rearrange keys so that command is next to the space bar instead of where windows lays it out.

Can you give an example of what you are trying to do?

Okay, I think this has finally convinced me to stop using the web based key mapper and install QMK properly. Tap dance is such a cool feature!

EDIT: A day later and I think I may have gone a little overboard…I’m running at least a dozen different tap dance macros on my keyboard, plus a macro to change the RGB underglow as a caps lock indicator.

4 Likes

Super simple, but been super useful for me has been to map TAB to MEH_T(KC_TAB) so it sends TAB on tap and MEH on hold.

I then map all my computer side short cuts to be some CTRL+ALT+SHIFT combo.

This is great for Divvy as I can quickly snap a window into a particular location on the screen. I use TAB (MEH) +Q/W/E to move the active window to the left third, middle third and right third of the screen (useful since I have an ultra wide and 1/3 of the screen is fine for a lot of apps).

2 Likes

My favorite hack is my single key for alt tab. When I hit that key alt tab is sent, but alt is hold. I can hit the key as many times as I want to send the extra tab keystrokes. When I’m ok with the selected window any other key releases the alt

3 Likes

Never try it! But sounds great!:grinning:

Do you have a code example?
I also use Windows and Mac and I’m looking for the best approach.
Right now I was going to do some with the persistent layouts