TEX Shinobi : 7-Row mechanical keyboard with TrackPoint [ Pre-order ]

I think he need to drill/cut keycaps turns a lot of people off from putting custom keycaps on boards like this

True, but it’s actually easy to grind them. I’ve done it to a couple of different keysets for my Yoda. It doesn’t look perfect but when they are installed you can’t even tell.

Once you’ve done that you’re committing to using those keysets only for that board though, I wouldn’t want to put a keyset with a hole in it like that on another board, it would look terrible.

Of course. But if you buy a set that has cutouts on the GH and B keycaps, it won’t look good on other keyboards either. So either way, you have to make it a dedicated keyset.

Yes, you need to drill / cut a lot , if you do want , I can give you dimension :slight_smile:

Aside from function keys, are the alpha keys programmable? I use Colemak so would want to alter those keys.
Thanks!

Was there an answer to this?
I want to try this but there isn’t any info on the TEX site on just what “Programmable” indicates.
Thanks

This board is growing on me the more I look at it, especially at the $99 price point. I just wish you had a better way of programing it. I think the concerns about not being able to reprogram them after the web configurator goes down are very valid & only being able to have one layer with needing to add additional Fn keys to have more is less than desirable to most enthusiasts. Have you guys ever considered using QMK compatible PCBs? It would kill both those birds with one stone & be a much better solution than your current one for programming.

Yes, all key can remap , that you can build Colemak layout !!

Hello

we use web configurator + USB storage ( in keyboard )
why we do that , we want cross different system ( don’t need to install software ) ,

Hi

We can try to make QMK solution , but we have some problem in TrackPoint …

2 Likes

Ok, that makes sense as to why you haven’t went with QMK compatible PCBs then. Although I personally would be interested in a QMK compatible PCB option even if it meant I was on my own with getting the trackpad to work! Not sure how many others would interested in that also.

1 Like

Anyone know the best place to ask for an update on this pre-order?

Probably their webiste or their Face Book page. They closed pre-orders a little while ago and have an updated time line on their website.

2 Likes

you can send mail to me ( service@tex-design.com.tw )

2 Likes

Thanks for help !
We just finish pre-order , and we will sell again in Feb

4 Likes

Great to hear! A lot of people are looking forward to the Shinobi again.

1 Like

FYI:

I asked, through Facebook, if Tex has been affected by the Coronavirus outbreaks. They informed me, that production has been delayed, due to shipping restrictions, but they are still in good health. They have found a new source for the part’s that they were going to be sourcing through China and are hoping to begin production in March.

My anticipation, is only growing for this keyboard, as I really want another alternative input method, to help alleviate my wrist RSI.

EDIT 03122020: Just saw they have a manufacturing section on their website, with updates.

EDIT 04252020: According to the TEX Facebook page, the Shinobis are now in production and should be shipping at the end of the month!

Programming link: TEX shinobi Web Configurator

TEX Flicker links
DIY: TEX SHINOBI : DIY | Flickr

Final Version: TEX SHINOBI : Final version | Flickr

Keychain for pre-orders: TEX - Leather Keychain | Flickr

3 Likes

You know, I still want to have this board at some point in my life

i kind of do too, with the bluetooth

1 Like