The Heavy-6: a Norbauer case for the FC660C

While anodizing is easily stripped, it is not easily re-applied with good cosmetic results, which is why I like powder.

The best method is to strip powder chemically to avoid any damage to the part–and then only a light bead blast is needed right before coating for maximal adhesion. Many powder shops can do this, but not all. Here in California, environmental restrictions mean a lot of shops don’t want to deal with it so they tend to outsource it to shops specialized in chemical stripping. But in any case, it’s usually a pretty readily available service.

@norbauer any chance to get a heavy-6 in aperture, enigma grey, or tactical black in the near future?

I don’t think so, I’m sorry to say. For some reason, the Heavy-6 is always the weakest seller of the lineup (likely because of the uncommon layout), so I’m always hesitant to order large batches. The couple of polycarb ones that I have left in the shop now (shipping in about a month or two) are likely to be the last ones in 2021.

1 Like

I’m gonna wait for those rare suddenly-turn-up-from-the-warehouse-thingy :wink:

3 Likes

In that genre, I do have two solid copper Heavies-6 with a clear coated verdiris patina finish. They’ve been done for many months; I just need to photograph them and post them for sale at some point. I think those are the only units in this design that I still have on hand though.

10 Likes

oh… my… Sign me up, please. Yeah, no need to photograph. Just send me the bill.

Ah, but you haven’ seen the bill. :laughing: Copper is easy to machine but the material itself is inherently stupidly expensive relative to aluminum.

3 Likes

Oh lord, I just looked it up. Is my research accurate? Is copper almost 10x the cost of stainless and aluminum right now?

Haha, figured as much. Well looking forward to when/if you bring it back in the other materials.

I’ll take the second one off your hands :slight_smile:

ahem, since I stir this pot up all I ask is you send the email notification to me before everyone else please :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Darn it! Why does he do this? Now all I can think about are these copper heavy 6s (or, in Norbauer speak, copper heavies 6)

I’m going to have to sell off some boards and commission something, aren’t I? Wonder what a Jane goes for now adays :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Quick question:
If we wanted to get our heavy-6 re-coated at a shop, would we have to cover the back badge, or it is possible to remove it?

2 or 3 years ago, I called the Heavy-6 Monolith my endgame. And it’s held up to that moniker. I’ve been perfectly content since purchase with zero new keyboard purchases. It is everything I wanted in a keyboard, and still is.

It’s rare to find a product like that. To anyone on the fence about a Norbauer product, I’d definitely recommend any of his keyboards.

10 Likes