The Heavy-6: a Norbauer case for the FC660C

@norbauer guess what I just did…

If you guessed “bought a FC660C off eBay using my eBay Bucks and 10% off just so I can use one of these without having to wait for a FC660M version” you are RIGHT!!!

So stoked for the Leica grey!!!

1 Like

I really love that finish too! I’m currently it using right now as I type this on a Norbaforce prototype that I got coated with that finish just for fun. I oddly find myself just running my fingers along it all day because I love how it feels—in addition to how it looks.

1 Like

is it possible to get a different aluminum case coated with that finish? If you don’t mind me asking, how would I go about even doing something like that? it’s a 60% case.

Okay, I need a new FC660C.

1 Like

Don’t make me buy a 660C…

I was against the idea of a steel case until I looked a little bit into the process of PVD coating. Seems like the coating itself is actually a thin layer of titanium? Wow!

Am I right if I assume that this should be substantially more scratch-resistant than aluminium black anodization? (Which is actually a thin layer of aluminium oxide.)

BTW, the sheer weight of the meterial of choice in case of a steel keyboard seemed completely absurd to me until I realized that grandfather of all 60% keyboards, IBM Model F62, probably the best keyboard in all of human history, is also made of steel and casted zinc. It weights about 3kg / 6lbs.

Just take a look at this review and you’ll soon realize that steel is the only way God approves. IBM Model F62 "Kishsaver" review (capacitive buckling springs) - YouTube

1 Like

That is the claim among watch enthusiasts, who are all really into PVD, though I have yet personally to put it to the test.

1 Like

I wish you luck on this project but my needs go in the opposite direction.

For example instead I would like to take the existing FC660C - plastic case and all - and figure out how to get rid of the metal plate so it feels more like a HHKB. Not for the sound - although some will enjoy that - but just so it’s a bit easier on my hands.

That’s why I feel like an outsider sometimes because everyone wants a plate that is as thick as the case! Or as the “cool kids” write "THICC!"

If you take up the challenge on a HHKB case perhaps you will discover the secrets for an alternative plate on the FC660C.

These stenographer boards at KeyCon might interest you, Dante. They were like feathers, and require months of learning how to chord. But, freaky fast, as proven by the owner who casually typed conversation in real time as we spoke.

I wish he hadn’t shown up, because now I want one, like really bad.

2 Likes

I don’t think I can do this unfortunately. Several years ago I experimented with Colemak - not even Dvorak mind you - and in literally a few days I had completely forgot most of Qwerty! Up until that point I had been typing Qwerty for at least 20 years and it freaked me out very negatively. In some paranoid way I was interpreting this activity as causing cognitive damage. I’m sure this will be interpreted as being melodramatic.

Maybe a little.

I was also in no mans land: not very proficient in Colemak and rapidly losing my Qwerty. In addition to that Colemak caused some pain and tightness in my hands that some said would go away but it didn’t even feel natural to me; even if a computer program told me it was more efficient. I decided to ditch Colemak on a Friday and retrain myself on Qwerty over the weekend.

If I were a young lad with an entire summer off working a part time job for sure I’d give Steno a go.

1 Like

I’m definitely in if there is a FC660M version.

I love the updated profile. I see it as a big improvement that makes it look more refined. I am interested for sure, I have a 660c with hasu controller on standby.

1 Like

I saw this was asked on deskthority months ago but I don’t remember if you replied, will the capacitance equation be shown on the front right? It’s a really nice detail, and if you ask me I would rather the heavy6 skip your logo for it. :smiley:

Still really excited for this. If I went with the standard aluminum option, could I just take it to a local powder coat shop if I wanted a different color?

Absolutely. However, I would encourage you to do some vetting of the shop first. My own experience suggests that powder applicators vary widely in both price and quality, and there doesn’t seem to be a huge correlation between those two things. Most simply aren’t used to coating small consumer products where their customers will care about cosmetic defects.

im totally in.

Made an account just for this post! I absolutely cannot wait for this group buy. I saw a picture of the Heavy 6 [Photographer gray (textured powder coat)] from a keycon Imgur album and it was even more beautiful than I imagined!

The FC660C is my favorite keyboard of all time and I cannot wait to give it the beautiful, heavy THICCness it deserves.

Couple of questions for you, @norbauer !

1. I have the new black/black FC660C and i’m having a hard time deciding whether the black annodized, or photographer gray powder coat would look better with the stock caps. Is there any chance of seeing the black caps on both cases when sample photos come out? And just from your tastes, which combo would you find more aesthetically pleasing?

2. Several people have asked about an optional capacitance formula being machined into the case. This tiny little detail is something that makes the Leopold topre boards stand out from the others, in my opinion, and I think it would be an incredible optional feature anywhere on the case/baseplate. Is there a realistic chance of this happening?

That’s all for now :slight_smile: Thank you for your incredible contributions to the mechkeeb world!

Haven’t yet ordered Heavy 6, but I can’t wait for Norbaforce 2 for my new Realforce r2.

Rumor has it it’s going to be made of Russian titanium and tempered glass

1 Like

It seems that all gray Leopold FC660C has gone out of production, which is a shame because it would go perfectly with photographer’s gray case.

Oh well.

not sure how would you order it when it’s still in prototype/ic stages…