The Silo Beam Switch - Beam Spring switches for the modern era

Even for entering numbers not sure why you really would need a numpad. Just use Qmk layer and a ortholinear keyboard and you’ve got the equivalent of a numpad.

What if people just like a thing

4 Likes

I love the nonchalant “just” use an ortholinear keyboard. That’s a pretty drastic solution considering ortholinear is a very niche option.

2 Likes

Fine they can just like it, but then they shouldn’t claim that it is absolutely needed.

Is there a rational reason to not use an ortholinear (or better columnar staggered) keyboard?
IMHO there isn’t a good reason rather than “it’s what I’m used too”.

I said ortholinear, because I suspect a lot of people do not realize that they like the numpad so much because it is ortholinear (and not staggered).

Why use even an ortholinear when there are ergonomic keyboards (maltron & friends) available already?

It’s not like using product FOO over BAR is ever rational. Rationality is silly and depending on perspective, which in itself is subjective.

As a more concrete reason not to use a ortho - my pinkies are too short, and I can’t comfortably use a grid-style ortho. So no rational reason to use orthos for me, even though I do because I enjoy it.

Wow, this is really exciting! I’ve never tried a beam spring but really want to.
That said, I will never buy a full size keyboard, or even TKL. Since so many of us in the community are fans of smaller boards, I hope you will consider offering a more compact option.
Best of luck for this project!

1 Like

Hot dang! They are running a survey about form factor! It may not have to be a full keyboard after all! Link to survey on I:C Instagram

https://instagram.com/inputclub?igshid=1j0yqv5cax6lw

Direct survey link:

1 Like

The Ideal would be to have an optional numpad that slots into the case on either side so you can use it regular or southpaw-style.

not like that’s ever gonna happen but a girl can dream right

1 Like

60% or ergodox pls.

It’s a shame that these are only available in the plastic input club keystone.

Give plastic more credit! It sounds great and the comparatively low weight is a plus in my book.

2 Likes

Agreed, plastic can be really nice if done well

2 Likes

I like acrylic, but I don’t like regular plastic keyboard cases as much.

I’m really hopeful for a @norbauer (or -inspired) aftermarket case for this PCB when this all shakes out; I think it’s fine for them to focus on getting an affordable board out knowing that our community can make the aftermarket cases we deserve.

1 Like

Oh, I think that is virtually guaranteed to happen eventually. I’ve played with their prototypes and am really impressed by both the tech conceptually and also the actual execution, so I’d love to do anything I to help these gain adoption, especially in the high-end enthusiast community. Are you guys down, @lekashman and @HaaTa?

8 Likes

Yep, it’s really just a question of when. The Silo switch design dramatically simplified the usual annoyances that accompany keyboard pcb design (though there are some new ones as :stuck_out_tongue:). So as long as the pcb is mounted/sandwiched to the plate in some way, it should be a lot easier to design cases around.
While we’re doing it for Keystone, even multi-layout is significantly easier than it was with hotswap sockets (there are still some placement limitations, but it really depends).

Keystone is a really ambitious project, the bigger the campaign is the easier it will be for us to share things like pcb sizes earlier. I’ll chat with the team more about it, but we might be able to share things earlier with a few designers.

5 Likes

oh heck yeah. I was already in for one or two but this just makes it better!

1 Like

Any news on what the size for the first Keystone PCB is? Still full-size?

When this gets to a 60% hhkb layout, I’m 100% in :smiley:

1 Like