The Tape Mod

I’ve experimented with adhesive foam on top of plate, bottom of pcb, bottom of case, etc. All do give a different effect. I settled on non adhesive plate and case foams though just for ease of use and a little better result. You do lose flex though, so if you want flex putting some 2mm adhesive foam on the bottom of the pcb could be a great solution, just not easy to reverse.

4 Likes

I’ve considered spraying the underside of a pcb with plastidip to get the same effect. Might do that this weekend now that it’s fresh on my mind…

2 Likes

Interesting stuff! Definitely gonna give this a try on some of my tray mounted ALPS builds!

Aight someone please go with this under your PCB and tell me how it goes :joy:

5 Likes

Paper fiber absorbs noise pretty good so I think the masking tape, usually made of paper, is filtering out noise.

2 Likes

Gotta do a sound comparison still.

1 Like

Alexotos has tried it too:

https://twitter.com/otosalex/status/1413506910922313741

1 Like

I wonder if Gaffer tape sounds better or worse. They’re made of fabric and its adhesive can last a long time where I think masking tape glue lasts mere days.

1 Like

I dont even wanna try gaffer tape and accidentlially rip something off

4 Likes

Ah. Right. Forgot that Gaffer tapes are much more sticky than masking tapes, enough to pull components off the PCB.

1 Like

Totally thought about doing this to the case. haha… :grin:
also thought about applying this to stabilizer bar ends w a touch of lube…

7 Likes

I …am gonna do it now to my KBD75 haha. You’ve convinced me.

1 Like

I mean…theoretically you could painters tape and than gaffer right?

1 Like

But what are u trying to accomplish with all that extra stuff?

Some delicate surface painter’s tape is what first came to mind for me to do this mod with. Although as someone who does a lot of painting professionally I will let you all know the longer you leave the tape on your PCB the more likely the adhesive is to separate from the tape & stay on the back of your PCB. Regardless of what type of tape is used. Even delicate surface tape will do this if left on something for over say 4 or 5 days IME.

9 Likes

This makes me wonder if a mild adhesive removal chemical would also remove the coating on a given PCB. I guess you could use distilled water, a gentle cloth, and lots of patience if it came down to it.

Chickenwalk:

When I made signs for a living, we used this stuff that was basically industrial Goo-Gone - and there’s a reason they don’t sell it to consumers off the shelf. It’s very effective - and very toxic.

It’s a godsend when you need to remove all of the years-old glue from a nine foot wide piece of acrylic, though - turns the dried-out adhesive crust into gooey stuff you can scrape into blobs and easily wipe clean.

2 Likes

This was one of the thoughts I had. I have bought some second hand boards with PCBs covered in sticky flux. Now I have to worry about a PCB covered in this cause every new kiddy wants to chase that Jelly sound…

1 Like

What’s Jelly sound? Tape mod sound = Jelly sound?

I might have got my sound mods mixed up. I have seen a lot of people chasing the sound of the Jelly Epoch board. The secret sauce of this is apparently a thin layer (1mm) of PE foam above the PCB, but under EVA foam.

You get this poppy sound. It is blowing up on YouTube, same as the tape mod.

3 Likes