Things that make us go... hmmm

The set gives me a Big Keys vibe to them, but I think if the rest of the keys were bolder, it would fit the set a bit better imo - they look so tiny and visually unbalanced to me.
http://www.bigkeys.com

1 Like

I see it more like Deadpool inspired. Put some red blood splatter on it and silly novelties. :man_cook::kiss:

2 Likes

More like GMK Jitterbug

or GMK Boomer…

:older_man: :older_woman:

2 Likes

@Cloud983 @normano @Rico So the keebtalk TKL came today and I just opened it up and here are my impressions.

This base is definitely CAST aluminum. It has super soft edges, almost a low poly look, that you would get from a cast process.

It is possible that the top has been CNC’ed, which looks like a simple 5-6mm sheet of aluminum that has been machined.

They engraved a really ugly “Customized Keyboard” text into the top. Odd.

The whole thing is covered in a really pleasant, sparkle, textured powder coat. The finish is really nice.

The Stainless Steel weight is no joke! Heavy and shiny. But the PVD is cracked… For such a cheap price I am not going to complain.

This thing is still a bargain, just not as much of a bargain as they would have had you believe. The LEDs even go the right way.

But it is also weird. Very Weird.

I will take some pics with proper lighting and keycaps another day. For now here are some pics under a terrible desk lamp.

7 Likes

The bottom looks indeed cast.
Really incredible results for the price, I don’t understand how they can make money with this price…

We will have to rename Post Your Keyboards! to Post Your Customized Keyboards! So that you can post pictures of it /s

I don’t get the text either, doesn’t add anything

4 Likes

Think of it more like, how much money the other producers make…, :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It is not unusual for companies to do price dumping (sell at loss) to gain market share, specially China ones.
Also the price depends on the total number of units made and labor cost (some Chinese manufacturers are cheaper than others, so of course is the quality).

I don’t think renown makers are doing much money with their work in general, at least I can’t think of a way to comfortably live of this activity (unless you take the money and never ship anything).
If you take Gok’s Type K as an example, this is an extremely expensive board but it took the designer 7 rounds of prototype to achieve the result he wanted: so much prototypes obviously increased the price significantly.

Of course not talking about newcomers in the hobby that instantly try to sell you their own design at incredible cost and with no prototypes on hand :wink:

2 Likes

Another one bites the dust… Looks like Originative has dumped most of their stock and rebranded as Typemachina.

Sadly, it looks like some of their stock was sold to Mechanicalkeyboards.com which has increased prices on the items.

GMK WoB is $190! even more than it was on Originative and SA Solarized was on sale for like $120 bucks on Originative and now it is back to $170 on Mechanicalkeyboards.com

5 Likes

Well, they’ve been pretty dead for the last 4 years at least.

But the new website is faster, so there’s that!

I don’t know if everyone here remembers, but they had an ambitious project called typemachina where they were planning to work with several designers to produce group buys at a regular interval. It never panned out. They did have 1 TGR board that they later sold for a pretty high price. I wonder if they plan to go back to running group buys? Don’t know who would trust them though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I completely forgot about that! I remember buying a set of GMK Esc keys from them, as well as the first round of TADA68s many many many many years ago. They still have some nice key cap sets but yeah, idk if there is any trust there anymore.

1 Like

Has this been posted yet…hilarious.

7 Likes

So this is kinda weird & unexpected. The OG doubleshots I got are noticeably different shades on both mods & alphas between sets… The set from the Expression G81-1000 (ANSI) has a much warmer tone than the set from the Peacock G81-3004 (ISO QWERTZ). Looking at the date codes they were made 1 year apart, the Expression in 1990 & the Peacock in 1991. Not sure if this was deliberately done or just material/dye differences from batch to batch? The Pics are from my phone & I didn’t mess with any of the levels. Sorry about the whack lighting, but I think the pics still get the difference across (Peacock ISO Left, Expression ANSI Right).

2 Likes

Saw at our meetup today! A 7ft long board with the loneliest esc key

18 Likes

Hey! That’s my arm!

7 Likes

That’s a nice arm :sunglasses:

1 Like

You’ve gotta have a big desk for that board.

Is that a just ‘because you can’ board?

It probably was. Lol. I know that Jack Pikatea is the one who made the “case”

I know this is mostly about keyboards but uhhhh wtf HP HP’s Envy Move PC is a Real Pick-Me-Up

Its a 9 pound all in one that comes with a battery… Why not just get a laptop at that point if you plan on moving it around alot

1 Like