Things that make us go... hmmm

I just saw that, too. Maybe related, but who knows. I’m really gonna try to make my own. Have a lot to order though.

I use Pods, and haven’t noticed that with those.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted an Aluminum Lump.

5 Likes

ooh, a new way to describe my hobby. What do you do? I collect aluminum lumps.

9 Likes

PSA: cap-killers are still out there

This is one of a few tester caps I’ve found recently with a broken stem after trying a handful of samples. The white areas are stress marks and in some cases fractures; this cap is destroyed.

I don’t know which switch(es) caused this, but seeing it makes me keen to do some actual testing. Until I have more data just take this as a warning that there are some switches out there that can damage some caps - and that it’s not a bad idea to test any new switches you plan to use with an unimportant cap - and if need be, process the switches with something like Geon’s Trimmer tool.

8 Likes

Just post here when you find out:

I’d been meaning to pick up a Geon trimmer for my BBN switches. They’re mostly out of stock now but I found that Keebsforall has some.

I’ve recently come to the realization that I really hate switches that are loud on the upstroke. BBN has it right with PC bottom and Nylon top. Just need to wrangle those stems.

6 Likes

I think Divinikey has some Geon stem trimmers in stock still too.

3 Likes

Helix Labs garbage setup of the Aaru TKL PCBs. Things had me feeling like I did trying to flash & map my first few boards back in the day. When TMK & QMK without their configurator sites were the only game in town. FIrst off you have to edit your registry to even be able to flash the firmware to the PCBs, otherwise QMK toolbox will not recognize the PCBs. Then you have upload the JSON files to VIA to get them to show up on there & they don’t have anywhere to just download the JSONs. All they have is the links to the JSONs raw data on their website!? Like WTF, why would you make this so hard especially nowadays when 99% of PCBs you can just plug in, open up VIA, & everything just works… SMH, LOL!

1 Like

Available in stainless steel and brash finishes, this premium Craighill parts tray…

…caused me to laugh out loud because it looks not just like an ashtray, but like the cheapest permutation of ashtrays ever to exist, stamped sheets. Mmm, crusty.

Honestly the juxtaposition of being made of brass and looking like a disposable product is what I’d consider the selling point; just existing it’s like a cheeky little joke. Just, I get the impression it wasn’t on purpose…

10 Likes

Yeah, this is truly ridiculous.

Other websites selling the same product are calling it a fancy (i.e., overpriced) ashtray, since Craighill specifically designed this to be an ashtray. You can get one for $18 (on sale!) In the link below. Other metal ashtrays and accessory trays can be found much cheaper.

https://www.bespokepost.com/store/craighill-brass-ashtray

I wonder how much more Dorp is charging, but I don’t feel like signing up just to see their price.

The “Castro” naming seems to be meant to evoke the idea of cigars, since the indents are larger in order to accommodate those.

2 Likes

“On sale” for $25 with a normal price of $48 (according to the listing, which just feels like the standard look it’s on sale when it really isn’t tactic).

3 Likes

I wonder what exciting new products Drop will bring to us next!

12 Likes

If they want to do a bespoke ash tray at a minimum make it actually bespoke.

4 Likes

I wondered if it was Dorp’s idea to sell it as an ashtray-inspired parts tray as opposed to what it clearly is :stuck_out_tongue:

Totally agreed on the naming - those really do look cigar-sized now that you mention it.

5 Likes

This is totally on brand for Drop.

It’s the equivalent of saying the quiet part out loud to them.

5 Likes

This is definitely an overpriced cigar ash tray. :rofl:

Reminds me of when Sharper Image used to sell those vibrating “shoulder massagers.”

1 Like

Hey now. My wife really likes her “shoulder massager”

6 Likes

hahah not judging

1 Like

This whole thing just keeps me saying “hmm…”

Why do I hate it?

IDK. I’m a huge fan of top mount, so I don’t put much stock in isolation or “suspension mounts.” Seems way too over designed for me. I feel like it needs a spoiler.

If I could get that middle part alone, I’d be down for that. I’ve never been much of a fan of the keyboard within a keyboard. The AKB OGR is the only one that ever got my attention.

2 Likes

Counter argument: this kind of board is exactly the kind of ridiculous thing that group buy models exist for. It’s like the true spirit of being in a hobby to have access to the most ridiculous things and help bring them to life.

I don’t like it either but I love that it exists. It’s like the low production car type of thing of the keyboard world.

4 Likes