Things that make us go... hmmm

I went straight to the cleaning crew and asked for supplies, then spent 40 minutes. scrubbing and disinfecting it.

When I went home, I sat at my desk, placed my hands on my clean GMK redsuns, and smiled.

4 Likes

Did they actually expect you to clean that? That’s awful. The board should have just been thrown away and you should have been given a new one.

After all, I’m guessing that is a relatively cheap board (is it a K120?), and probably costs a lot less than 40 minutes of your time.

1 Like

I don’t think they cared whether I cleaned it or not. It reflects a certain level of awareness. I couldn’t toss the board; it’s cheap, but works fine.

3 Likes

I used to work for a company that prides itself on being a player in the tech community. It’s a top 500 corporation. We would bring on new hires and sometimes have to wait weeks to get them a laptop and monitor. But oh boy, they always had these shitty old membrane boards on hand. It was truly embarrassing :see_no_evil:

I took my own board to work. I was willing to risk it getting stolen rather than have to use a dirty membrane keyboard

2 Likes

After today I’m thinking about getting myself a Nuphy Air. I’m not a fan of low profile keyboards, but a friend of mine has one and it’s definitely nicer and cleaner than that membrane board. And it’s light enough to carry to work.

2 Likes

Gross! That would be right at home in the keyboard horror thread.

I take one of mine in every day :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Intrusive thoughts if this were presented to me: “This is a direct challenge issued to me. Assert dominance. Lick it.”

5 Likes

Oh wow, TIL. Thanks for the info

1 Like

Just got an email from Dorp that my $1 drop keyboard club was about to renew. The email included no instructions on how to cancel. Instead I had to search the web. The Keyboard Club FAQ includes no instructions on how to cancel. A comment from drop finally gave me the information, I had to go to my orders page and find the original order to cancel the subscription. Absolutely designed to make it as difficult as possible so that you can’t find it. I don’t want to go hmm so much as give them a nice charge back and fee if they still try to renew it. Garbage company.

5 Likes

Just went through this myself - and I too had to Google and find instructions on how to cancel it. Was very annoying.

5 Likes

When I cancelled mine a while back I’d actually just reached out to support and asked them to do it. :stuck_out_tongue: Dorp has a real mixed bag of consumer experience factors, but at least support is pretty good - they cancelled it for me and sent a confirmation.

4 Likes

If anyone needs a lifetime supply of lube, NovelKeys is selling a 1kg tub of 204g00:

The 1kg tub of 205g0 is sold out, sadly.

6 Likes

I forgot about SA Phantom.

What a lovely set. Whoever snatched it from their warehouse find sale really got lucky!

4 Likes

Huh. That makes me wonder why I see lots of TriboSys 3204 but almost no Kyrotox 204 on keeb vendor sites…

Then again, now that I think about it, 3204 is practically the same stuff sold under a market-specific brand* at a lower price, and I think the whole point was to make it more accessible to hobbyists in lower quantities while keeping the formula profitable for industrial applications.

*TriboSys sells lots of stuff to lots of industries, but the 3200 series greases are specifically marketed and sold as being for keyboards, where the Krytox brand 200 series is literally under their “general-purpose lubricant” line - both brands are under the Miller-Stephenson chemical company.

4 Likes

Wow! What a sale!

Most of the things on NovelKeys don’t have this sort of funny pricing. It just seems to be a software bug that happens when the base kit option is out of stock. The actual prices on the individual product pages seem to be as intended.

5 Likes

One of my biggest pet peeves is showing the non-base kit pricing on site search and other listing pages on (just about every) keyboard vendor site. It’s always “Some Keycap Set for $23!” and it turns out the spacebars add-on is $23 and the base is the usual price. That and having to select ever kit option from a dropdown only to see that all but the international or typist kits are sold out. Not just a NovelKeys quirk, obviously, but super annoying and bad UX.

6 Likes

On our site, I actually didnt like this either - so thats why it always shows the most expensive option.

The compare at pricing is a bug we are currently looking at and trying to fix though!

12 Likes

Not sure if it’s a new change or I just missed it, but I appreciate that NK is using that method. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or things that make us go yumm. I thought this dragonfruit would make a gorgeous keycap colorway.

8 Likes

Anyone know the brand/model on this absolute unit of a keyboard? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like