Things that make us go... hmmm

Marketing getting paid by the word.

2 Likes

Ahahaahahaa

Anyway, it’s ugly.

I like this set better and I’m waiting to buy it

6 Likes

Dueling Walkman color-ways… what a time to be alive.

fwiw, I was born in the late 70s. I don’t remember the walkman that was the inspiration for WLK-MN:

but I do remember seeing these a lot (I guess in the 90s):

Which i guess is the inspiration for “Tape 'n Radio”

6 Likes

Yes I think the yellow highlights come from the sport model

But I think the PBTfans main inspiration comes from older models like these:

I personally never had a Sony. We couldn’t afford things that nice. I remember having a JVC and and Sanyo. I wore them out. Also vividly remember having a Panasonic portable CD player. I even used that in my first car for music. Used one of those cassette tape to aux cables to adapt from CD. It had the anti skip tech, and it skipped a lot! I think I still have it in the attic :rofl:

6 Likes

The base kit photo has a cassette in it not a CD. Is it really a set of keycaps? Maybe it’s a box of chocolates.

3 Likes

Having PTSD whenever you see old Sony logo because you got bullied for rockin’ a Coby…
:face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_peeking_eye:

5 Likes

:rotating_light::rotating_light:HURRY UP!!! THERE ARE LESS THAN 50 SETS LEFT OF DEEPFIELD!!!:rotating_light::rotating_light:

Gotta love Forced FOMO…

2 Likes

Oooh, he got the Coby! :rofl:

He’ll yeah. Bass boost and all. I dig it. This is a certified “WalMart special”

I had to explain to my son that Walmart used to only sell the cheapest crap out there.

He and his friends call it the “Amazon brand” now.

Wonder what his kids will consider off-brand

5 Likes

Aliexpress or Taobao probably lol

3 Likes

I thought the same thing when I saw DCD Wlk-mn. I was born in 81 so lived through the heyday of the cassette walkmans & never once saw anyone with the blue/orange/silver model. Saw tons of the Sports model & plain black/grey walkmans, but never a blue/orange/silver one. Wonder if that one was a Japanese model maybe? :thinking:

1 Like

Looks like it at least similar to the Walkman Star Lord has kept from his youth on earth in Guardians of the Galaxy:

3 Likes

Good point, almost forgot about that one!

Wish or Temu have got to be near the top of this list too.

4 Likes

Maybe not hmmm… but another observation from what I guess passes for an old timer in the hobby.

It’s amazing how much the space has changed where many newcomers are able to get by without ever having to solder.

I love that the hobby has become more accessible, but also really loved being forced to pick up that skill to truly be immersed in the hobby.

4 Likes

True, I find myself a little defensive of Ali lately since I finally took the plunge last year and I’ve had good success ordering from there. Temu just seems another level of sketchy to me (especially with the targeted ads I get!).

2 Likes

In the sense of getting more or less what you ordered, Temu is fine, maybe a little faster than AE even. The prices for the stuff I got were only a tiny bit better though, and the app and gamification made AliExpress look like a particularly understated Savile Row tailor. I also would trust absolutely nothing that was not already a low end commodity part.

4 Likes

lol

2 Likes

This popped up on my USPS informed delivery today:

Hmm…. Sure don’t remember what this is. The story of the package’s travels is probably more interesting than what’s in it

9 Likes

United States Pony Service

3 Likes

I recently signed up for informed delivery myself & it’s pretty bad TBH. I was up the PO the other day dropping off a package & inquired about a bunch of pieces that showed up in my daily informed delivery but did not get delivered that day. The PO worker told me that the lists are generated at the hubs not the final PO before they get to you. So it could be up to 5 days to get anything shown on any given day in your daily email…

3 Likes