Things that make us go... hmmm

What makes me go hmmm is how am I ever going to commission an Exmor like this:

2 Likes

Things that made us go hmmm…

How about the story of the Exent?

From too many cooks in the kitchen, to a product shipping with cracked acrylic, the exent is just a huge case of the hmmm…

5 Likes

The finished product looks pretty desirable though, at least the ones that aren’t cracked!

1 Like

Oh, how about something like the cast iron keyboard?
I know it was meme but would it be doable?

Would it? Could they? They didn’t stop to think whether they should: The Skillet

You know, I think at this point the community exists purely to transform memes into things.

3 Likes

That’s why this community is the best.
NEVER SAY NEVER.

P.S. How do I buy it?

According to their discord it’s still coming, but they don’t know when. There’s lots of discussion in the channel dedicated to it. Maybe by then I’ll have refilled my wallet enough to afford it. I do like cast iron…

Something I remembered yesterday. It has always bothered me that SP (and maxkey) caps use FIO, FII, FI2 instead of F10, F11, F12.

It doesn’t really seem like a space issue (especially considering the O tales up more space than a 0) and honestly I think it looks awful. I’m glad I don’t like SA anyway, because I would hate to spend >$200 on a keyset with such a glaring issue.

2 Likes

@callow HARD agree on the artisan. People pay as much as entire high tier cap set (sometimes even after market prices) for one artisan. I get the idea of it and its cool that people can be creative in their own space but that doesn’t mean we have to act like just because they hand made it and it looks less than appealing we have to pay such high prices for it. a lot of them mess with function too. Why would I want a spiky keycap on my escape key. I do agree that some artisans I would have on my board no doubt but thats such a small number. And I would never pay prices like that… then again I never thought i’d have more than one board LOL.

2 Likes

Artisans, and honestly the overall mech community in general, is a long slope of justifying higher and higher costs for things that you really don’t need. But considering this hobby basically revolves around buying things that are expensive nice-to-haves, something was bound to pop up to cater to the people with so much money that they can just spend a hundred dollars without batting an eye.

I guess I’m a bit of a black sheep in the artisan buying community since I only buy ones that I will actually put on my keyboards, I don’t really trade/sell them, and I’m not much of a fan of sculpts. It’s dumb, but I love the little bits of personality they add to my builds.

OTOH, it’s still a massive money sink, even though I don’t just enter every raffle for the makers I follow like a lot of collectors. My first few years in this hobby I wouldn’t dream of buying a single keycap for >$50. Hell, I wouldn’t even spend >$100 on a full keyset when there are so many options around $50. But now I’m 6 years in and my camping themed keyboard has 13 artisans on it. I made a price breakdown spreadsheet for that board… Those artisans cost me $800. Slippery slope indeed.

ETA: fsck, I just found out I missed the sale for the Keypora made to match GMK Hero, and now I’m sitting here wondering how much $$$ I have to put up to get one of those trades only people to just sell it to me. My advice to everyone is to just stay away from artisans unless you’re very financially stable.

6 Likes

I feel that any hobby eventually turns into the slope of justifying higher and higher costs: coffee, keyboards, streetwear, etc.

It comes down to if someone approaches them from a utilitarian or collector point of view. I think that’s why the idea “endgame” is so prevalent since it gives some end goal to people who are in it for utility (now if that is ever achieved is another question).

It’s like the home barista hobby; you can get an endgame home grinder and espresso machine but might be looking towards commercial level gear after that.

7 Likes

Funny you should say this, my expectations of what coffee could be or should be, completely flipped end over end once a nice retired couple opened up a bean roasting business in an old BBQ joint down the road.

I had no idea that good beans and a fresh roast made that kind of difference. It was like I’d never had a cup of coffee up until that point.

I’m ok with “good enough”, and keyboards that are decent prebuilts like Leopold, Ducky, and Filco are like going from Folgers at the supermarket to whole beans fresh roasted and ground ten seconds before extraction in a French press.

I think we kind of forget this truth while we obsess with the minutiae. With coffee, it can get very crazy too, which is fine! Anything can be a hobby. But at the end of the day, we’re just chasing a fix.

God, I’m going to be assembling an industrial strength espresso machine here, aren’t I? LOL.

7 Likes

We were just talking about this in The Board’s coffee channel in the discord. As Randall presciently observed, hobbies beget sub-hobbies. The rabbit hole isn’t just deep, it’s fractal.

5 Likes

I’m all for badges with logos if a blank or more universal logo is offered but I agree. Put your logo on the bottom if anywhere. I don’t want to see your logo when I look at my board!

5 Likes

I mean I think this is why I love about hobbies and hobbyists in general; going deep into the minutia into something they love is great for everyone involved.

Coffee is one hell of a rabbit hole, start with pour overs and end looking at $4k espresso machines to chase the high.

I think the main thing is to strive to make the hobby community accepting of all levels from entry level to endgame level.

3 Likes

And you all are just making me feel guilty about thinking of a custom wrist rest now…
So there’s another hmm right there… :joy:

1 Like

Anything smaller then a 60%, because I look at it and go, “Hmm, what type black magic duckery, do I need to do, to type x character.” :wink:

10 Likes

Just use a cat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ek5328/why_we_use_smol_keyboards/

6 Likes

Again, I have 4…which one would suit better?
Fun thing is 3 are Grey so I can choose a shade too lmao

1 Like

I got a Rancilio Silvia from my mom when she moved last year and oh boy is it amazing. My French press still gets a bit of a use once in a while, but it mostly sits on the shelf these days.

3 Likes