Things that make us go... hmmm

I’ve got a couple old laptops along with a Raspberry Pi 400 that I want to build into a something of an emergency computing station. Of course, with these projects the idea and the execution can be two different things.

2 Likes

That makes a lot more sense.

I’m so used to the opposite; like expensive keysets looking cheaper than they are by displaying the smallest kit price, etc.

3 Likes

I hate that. “Only $24? How is that possib… oh. Spacebars.”

4 Likes

I ended up getting the Raspberry PI 400 all-in-one

1 Like

I understand there are some folks who’ve managed to replace the built-in chiclet keyboard with an actual mechanical keyboard. I’m honestly trying to avoid that level of over-complication, but man it’s tempting.

That said, their built-in keyboard isn’t the worst if you’re just using it on a limited basis. Plus, it has some built in functions that are very helpful. Quite fond of the ability to do a safe shutdown from the keyboard.

2 Likes

Im hoping to never have to use it so i didnt do anything to it.

THE EPIC GROUP BUY EXPERIENCE OF THE MECHANICAL KEYBOARD COMMUNITY. Can you relate?

Creator: Hey, here’s my awesome design. I know it’s a premium price, but I’m really excited for everyone to try this board out that I’ve poured my heart and soul into.

Me: Cool. I joined

Spongebob narrator: 10 months later

Creator: Hey, sorry for the lack of updates, but our manufacturer informed us that they are now ready to start working on the keyboard! Exciting!!

Me: dead inside

Spongebob narrator: 10 months later

Creator: Guys, I’m sorry for not updating. Life has been hectic lately. I’m doing my best to just get this off my plate. This whole thing has been a total nightmare. But it’s also been a learning experience. (SUPER EXCITED FOR THIS) make sure to sign up for the newest role on my discord. I’ve learned so much and I’m super excited to tell you about my upcoming project!! I’ve poured my heart and soul into it, and it fixes all of the things wrong with the last board. (Check the archived section for updates on that old board. I expect to hear about anodizing in 4-6 months. Hoping to get it shipped before 2024).

Me: rotten inside

The sad thing is that this post is too easy to write. hmmm

22 Likes

I was never a fan of the group buy model when I entered the hobby (it’s starting to fizzle out as far as I can see) and I’m glad people are starting to realise it places the customer last.

5 Likes

This right here is what really grinds my gears. My worst GB experience was exactly this. First GB was for switches, “hey that wasn’t so bad” says the runner. Next is board, running into issues but still creates new board GBs. Then they try to regale us all with sob stories.

I am thankful for runners and designers, but I would never want to do it personally. It’s unfortunate that bone-heads ruin it. Focus on one thing on a time, if your stuff is in route, then unveil that new GB.

4 Likes

Yeah, sadly this seems more like a blueprint for Keyboard Group Buy’s more than anything else.

I’ve had one good experience with a KB GB and it was on offer and to my door within 10 months. I’m speculating that they’re a bigger outfit so it’s likely they had the experience and their stuff together. I’m in another that’s now steadily working through the second year of waiting and yes, they’ve offered another GB in the meantime for a different board. Which I refused to partake in.

I’ve only got one more in GB and I’m hoping it goes okay given the nature of the manufacturing method.

I think the key is to work with those who’ve proven their ability to deliver and be very VERY weary of those for whom this is their first venture. No one really understands manufacturing until they have to get something made on a large scale.

4 Likes

I’ve heard many horror stories like this, and feel fortunate that the only two custom keeb GB’s I’ve joined so far went without a hitch. (Protozoa’s P.02 and Z-Frontier’s Grid 650)

As for caps I’ve definitely experienced very long delays and even a cancellation or two, but so far knock on wood, no total busts yet. I understand why the format was necessary in the beginning and still is sometimes today - but I also won’t mind seeing it go the way of the dinosaur if we’re ever fortunate enough to see that happen.

3 Likes

Group buy participants shouldn’t perceive themselves as customers. They are more like investors. Don’t spend money on a GB if you aren’t prepared to lose it or be disappointed in the end product. Both have happened to me and are frustrating, but I knowingly accepted the risk.

Losing GBs would be incredibly sad because it makes the hobby unique and flavorful. I don’t want to be completely at the mercy of faceless companies. I mean, just look at Drop in general. Look at the thousands of companies who put out shit products. Large companies or in stock options are not some magic wonderland that guarantee quality or good prices.

GBs do have issues for sure. Runners need a higher bar for starting a GB: they should not be allowed to be anonymous at all, and the process shouldn’t be totally opaque. We should be able to hold them legally responsible if they do not fulfill their end of the contract. I don’t understand how providing a biweekly update is so difficult even if it’s just “waiting on many (insert screenshot of last inquiry)”.

Imo a lot of tension arises from oppositional goals of those who just want the best X vs those who are hobbyists/collectors. Check the frontpage r/mk posts, and the disagreements are out in the open. It’s been beneficial to the custom market overall though, and it shows different buying formats have their own purposes.

The hobby is already approaching a good balance of GB/preorder/in stock too. The amount of readily available keycaps is mind boggling. There are so many products that the aftermarket is overflowing with decently priced stuff.

3 Likes

Im waiting on the jtk dreaming girl switches (theyre the only thing i bought from the gb) and there was no mention that the switches wont ship until the keycaps are done. One of the other things i hate is when the vendors dont have a proper updates page, but say “oh join our discord for updates on gbs”

4 Likes

ahh I finally get my cyberspace bbox after kono scammed me out of it, thanks for finding this!

2 Likes

Ugh I see this a lot as well. I really don’t like having to be in a Discord channel solely for updates.

I will say that I think Discord does facilitate more updates, but they are often informal and easily bubbled away with additional conversation. You are then reliant on Discord search to find any information.

That being said, it is possible I think to have a good archive and notification system if you design with Discord in mind. Geonworks’ discord is a good example.

Notifying participants seems to be another thing that a lot of new GB runners don’t really think about enough up front and then quickly fall into “overwhelmed” territory that leads to less communication.

My hot take if I ever do a GB, I would do the model of ever couple of weeks responding with a “no new news status”. :joy:

3 Likes

There’s an interesting thing I’ve noticed with the rise of long pole switches - one of the reasons they’re liked that I see is that the bottom out is “firm/authoritive” whereas full travel switches are considered mushy at the bottom out in comparison. But firm bottom out is much less liked in terms of keyboard mounting styles.

I understand that keyboard mount softness =/= switch bottom out softness, but putting long pole switches into the wild thin pcbs with flex cuts all over the plate and pcb and leafspring gasket mounts feels like an oxymoron to me if comfort is a priority.

5 Likes

You’re investors in the same way as Kickstarter backers are investors, i.e. not at all. You’re backing a dream from a person that you might know little about with the hope that you will get something down the line. I never get into GBs or Kickstarter projects for more than I can afford to lose.

4 Likes

This is it guys. I found “The best keyboards in the world”, but with only 20 million keypresses.
It’s also by Keytronic…hmmm. Well, at least the key feel is guaranteed to be be sh*t.

13 Likes

Game over. You found it.

5 Likes

Big-ass Enter, stepped capslock - what a tease!

2 Likes